The Student Room Group

Will they let me in if...

Will Cambridge still let me in if I miss my offer? They want A*A*A (a high offer for humanities) but I'm worried I'll only get 1A* and 2As. They said in a offer holder letter that if you 'narrowly miss your offer' they'll still consider you, but how much is 'narrowly'? A few UMS points?? A grade???

A girl in the year above me missed her offer by an A* and she still got let in, but at a different college. Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone help?
Reply 2
Original post by MagicJigsaw
Will Cambridge still let me in if I miss my offer? They want A*A*A (a high offer for humanities) but I'm worried I'll only get 1A* and 2As. They said in a offer holder letter that if you 'narrowly miss your offer' they'll still consider you, but how much is 'narrowly'? A few UMS points?? A grade???

A girl in the year above me missed her offer by an A* and she still got let in, but at a different college. Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone help?

It may depend why they gave you a high offer. Do you come from an advantaged, or disadvantaged background? Is one A* in a subject you sat early such as Maths?
They generally say that a higher offer is given where there is some doubt and is given as an alternative to no offer.

In general being let in depends on how many spaces are available and that is determined by how many other people miss their offer both in your college and subject. Priority is often given to those with extenuating circumstances-missing an exam through illness for example. I think it is true that those who achieve the standard offer (at one sitting) may still get in, sometimes through the summer pool; so not always at the same college.
There is no formula that tells you if it will be OK Im afraid. I know someone who didn't get in having missed by 2 UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending