The Student Room Group

Year in industry - Is it worth it?

I have the option to do a work placement with my degree. Is it worth taking it for IBD? I am aware you can not do year placements in IBD but there are long internships I have come across e.g. with BNP Paribas, they have 4-6 month internships in IBD. So would it be worth taking a year out to do a 4-6 month placement?
(edited 8 years ago)
if u think you can get it, yeah, it's useful.
Original post by gr8wizard10
if u think you can get it, yeah, it's useful.

What could I do for the other 6-8 months? Would I be able to reapply to any 1st year insights/spring weeks as wouldn't I technically still be a first year student?
Original post by Breakingbank
What could I do for the other 6-8 months? Would I be able to reapply to any 1st year insights/spring weeks as wouldn't I technically still be a first year student?

sw is for first year of a 3 year course or 2nd year of a 4 year course.

idk but if u can convert that off-cycle into a full-time position, it's still a win.
I have the option to do a work placement with my degree. Is it worth taking it for IBD? I am aware you can not do year placements in IBD but there are long internships I have come across e.g. with BNP Paribas, they have 4-6 month internships in IBD. So would it be worth taking a year out to do a 4-6 month placement?

I'm currently at the end of my year placement. I'm studying a business and management course. It's the time of year where all of my friends are now graduating and finishing university and i know i have a whole year left so i do sometimes feel like i'm a year behind.. HOWEVER...

I would 100% recommend doing a year in industry. I have learnt SO MUCH! I've gained so much confidence and it has been proven that you more likely to get a higher grade when you return to university because you gain time management skills from working and are used to working longer hours.

AND to top it all off i have already been offered a job there for when i finish university. I'm not sure its the right career path for me but at least i know i have something lined up for when i did leave. Even if i did want to apply for other jobs i know that having a year in industry is such good experience and can really set you apart from the MILLIONS of other students who don't do the placement year or who don't get a placement. Placements are very competitive so to even have one on your CV can really impress future employees.
Reply 5

Don't fully agree with the other comments. I would only recommend doing one if you don't already have a strong profile and need more experience (for example if you don't get a summer internship).

I did a 12 month placement in IBD and loved it, but I had a pretty poor profile before and probably wouldn't get a decent summer internship. A few friends managed to get BB year long placements so it is possible.
Original post by Kayleigh1414
I'm currently at the end of my year placement. I'm studying a business and management course. It's the time of year where all of my friends are now graduating and finishing university and i know i have a whole year left so i do sometimes feel like i'm a year behind.. HOWEVER...

I would 100% recommend doing a year in industry. I have learnt SO MUCH! I've gained so much confidence and it has been proven that you more likely to get a higher grade when you return to university because you gain time management skills from working and are used to working longer hours.

AND to top it all off i have already been offered a job there for when i finish university. I'm not sure its the right career path for me but at least i know i have something lined up for when i did leave. Even if i did want to apply for other jobs i know that having a year in industry is such good experience and can really set you apart from the MILLIONS of other students who don't do the placement year or who don't get a placement. Placements are very competitive so to even have one on your CV can really impress future employees.

what would increase your chances of getting a placement/
Reply 7

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending