The Student Room Group

In the grand scheme of things; 'nobody cares', mental health ailment...help?

Basically I've sort of realised that in the greater scheme of life, nobody gives a ****, and this is particularly hard to accept for someone such as myself- with mental health difficulties- whom is rather sensitive,

Whilst this may seem cynical of the world and humanity, in a conventional and logical manner it couldn't be more true. People don't give a damn about 'you' and 'your' problems (singular)- meaning to refer to 'the person'. Individuals are too far removed so much that they are only concerned with themselves, and whilst most will agree and support this selfishness because it's the way the 'world goes round'- really and actually we should all try to be empathic. Instead we are all wrapped up with our own busy lives.

The reasons for my posting is that, this belief is getting me down, I suffer from anxiety/depression, currently undergoing private therapy. However, everything seems to go wrong. Lately I'm feeling uptight with people, and my lecturer replied to my email rather condescendingly. Which wasn't needed.

Perhaps he should have being more accommodating to my email and such, but there again he doesn't have to does he?? After all, he is just a lecturer, his concern isn't my mental health. Yet he knows of my difficulties.

There again, he isn't my therapist-- and the thing is- if I wasn't paying my actual therapist would she be so accepting? I mean to say, I pay her to be empathetic. So this makes me think some days, does empathy actually exist outside of parents (even then they are not understanding)?

It's a sad world. Anyone ever feel the same living with mental health worries?
Reply 1
Hi! Actually, although I completly see where you're comming from cause I do feel like that some days, there are people out there who genuienly care. You pay your therapist so that she can eat everyday but she wouldn't be a therapist if she didn't care (otherwise what sort of torture is that?!) The world out there is harsh no doubt but that's why you need friends and family to support you and to care for you. I hope that you feel better soon and if you feel too "alone" pm:smile:
I feel the same and it's half of what got me out of massive depression and into more of a minor depression.

Quick Reply

Latest