The Student Room Group

A2 Greek tragedy exam 2015

Okay, for my classical civilisation a level I'm studying Tiberius and Claudius, and Greek tragedies. I'm currently getting As in the Tiberius and Claudius side but low Cs in the Greek tragedy side. Obviously I don't want my Greek tragedy side to drag down my overall grade, but I'm panicking because I've tried looking for any form of exam help possible but my essays don't improve. I don't want to blame my teacher because I never think it's fair to blame the teacher, however I don't think she has ever told me expicitly what I'm doing wrong, does anyone have any key notes they can help me with? Main areas to elaborate on? I'm really trying but nothing seems to be working
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by EllieGraceLyon
Okay, for my classical civilisation a level I'm studying Tiberius and Claudius, and Greek tragedies. I'm currently getting As in the Tiberius and Claudius side but low Cs in the Greek tragedy side. Obviously I don't want my Greek tragedy side to drag down my overall grade, but I'm panicking because I've tried looking for any form of exam help possible but my essays don't improve. I don't want to blame my teacher because I never think it's fair to blame the teacher, however I don't think she has ever told me expicitly what I'm doing wrong, does anyone have any key notes they can help me with? Main areas to elaborate on? I'm really trying but nothing seems to be working

I've moved this to the right forum - hopefully you'll get some replies now :h:

Good luck!
It's hard to know exactly without seeing some examples and really your teacher should be highlighting areas where you're not getting the higher marks in order to improve.

However, essays towards the lower end of the C grade band tend to be ones which are not dealing with the plays in enough detail, or are dealing with each play in turn rather than the theme(s) in the question. It is far better if you can deal thematically with the question rather than on a play-by-play basis, which is tempting given you have to make sure that you're bringing in all four plays in enough detail!

Timing and planning issues can also arise on these questions. A number of my students feel like they're going to run out of time so automatically start writing, rather than taking a couple of minutes to plan an answer, which sometimes leads to them making contradictory statements within their answer which weakens their argument and in turn lowers the mark that can be awarded. You should be giving yourself 50 minutes to write the 40-mark essay, so it's worth spending even a couple of them making a plan.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending