The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mismash
can i do pharmacy with bbb??

Maybe, depending on the university you choose and how many applicants they get and how many applicants have better grades than you and a better, more interesting personal statement than you
Reply 41
Original post by temi.h.o.
Maybe, depending on the university you choose and how many applicants they get and how many applicants have better grades than you and a better, more interesting personal statement than you

thank u for your reply
Reply 42
Its early i know, but I'm sure there are others who are thinking of applying for pharmacy next year too. Anyone already thought of universities that they are interested in? And if there are any students who are already doing pharmacy, how is the course and what were your a level grades?
(edited 8 years ago)
So many unis look at your fourth As level that you drop in year 13 for pharmacy?:biggrin:
I've had work experience in a pharmacy and I'm starting volunteer work in a hospice soon, is there anything else I should do to make my personal statement look better and stand out more? What else can I do to prove I am very interested and passionate about pharmacy? :smile:
I'm also looking at studying Pharmacy though I can't make my mind up between Pharmacology or Pharmacy:frown:
Original post by handiepie
I'm also looking at studying Pharmacy though I can't make my mind up between Pharmacology or Pharmacy:frown:

It depends on what you like really, if you like the social side, like interacting with the public and the science into medicines and drug making then choose pharmacy but do know that you will also be looking into law and the changes in pharmacy; pharmacy is more than just science and you'll see that as you continue with the course.
If you like more of the science laboratory side, like laboratory skills etc. then choose pharmacology.
The two start of the same but differ quite a lot as you continue in the course.
Hope this could be of some help :smile:
Original post by University of Bradford
I appreciate that selecting the correct University and course can be a stressful and sometimes confusing process. I’ve had a quick scan through this thread and can see the University of Bradford was mentioned and as a result I thought I'd quickly bring your attention to our Pharmacy MPharm course in the hope that I can provide some assistance and clarification.

Applicants are usually required to achieve 320 UCAS points with 220 UCAS points coming from Chemistry and one other Science subject. The remaining 100 UCAS points can come from one other non-specific subject.

We do also consider BTEC applicants. BTEC applicants are required to achieve a DDD from the BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science with the following units: Maths and Stats for Science Technicians or Mathematical Tools in Science and Using Statistics; plus 4 Chemistry units all at Distinction. BTEC applicants are also required to obtain an A-level Chemistry at grade B.

Further information about our Pharmacy MPharm course can be found at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/study/courses/view/?c=pharmacy-mpharm-4-years

You may also be interested to know of our Open Days planned for 2015 - Saturday 4 July and Saturday 3 October. Open Days are the perfect way to get a feel for the University, meet some current students and talk with our academics about the courses, take a tour of the campus and visit our amazing new accommodation. For more details and to book a place visit - www.bradford.ac.uk/openday/

If any of you have any specific concerns or queries relating to our courses or the University of Bradford please feel free to get in touch! I'm also more than happy to resolve any queries any of you have about applying to University in general.

Heya, I'm looking to enter into Bradford for the 5 year course in 2016. But I currently have no work experience. Do you have any advice on strengthening my personal statement otherwise?
Original post by BewareTomato
Heya, I'm looking to enter into Bradford for the 5 year course in 2016. But I currently have no work experience. Do you have any advice on strengthening my personal statement otherwise?

It’s not essential that applicants for our Pharmacy MPharm (5 years) course have relevant work experience, although we do recommend all applicants gain some form of relevant experience. We recommend this as it will strongly support your personal statement in addition to giving you an idea of what Pharmacy is like and whether it’s a profession you actually want to pursue.

As you’re looking for 2016 entry you still have plenty of time to do some research, contact appropriate businesses and generally look into the possibility of gaining some work experience.If you are simply unable to gain any relevant work experience you will find it more difficult writing your personal statement but not impossible.

In terms of the structure I’d recommend you start with an opening paragraph explaining why you’re interested in the course and your motivation for applying. Then maybe move onto talk about your hobbies and interests. I would then move onto talk about your academic skills and the interpersonal skills you’ve acquired and how these skills relate to the course you’re applying for. Conclude with talking about your career aspirations, your motivation for applying to the course and generally summaries your entire personal statement.

If you’ve attended any Open Days or Taster Days it may be worth talking about these and what you gained from these visits alternative you may wish to talk about relevant research you’ve done or current affairs.

In terms of content remember to remain positive throughout, talk about your experiences and the range of skills you’ve acquired, responsibilities and roles you’ve had where possible link these back to the course/university you’re applying for.

You may find it useful popping onto the UCAS website for further advice and information on personal statements -
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/when-apply/writing-personal-statement

I hope you’ve found this information useful and if you need anything else feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!
Hey! I'm also thinking about studying pharmacy or pharmacology. But there's only 2 universities in Scotland who have pharmacy course, another 3 that i'm interested have pharmacology. So I don't know what to do.
I would love to go to Manchester University but I've heard they don't make many ABB offers even though it's the minimum entry requirement. Is anyone currently studying Pharmacy there and has been given a lower offer of ABB ?
Reply 51
what do you guys think you are going to get in your as???
Reply 52
Original post by awesomearps
Hey guys! :smile: I'm a first year pharmacy student at Aston.. good luck for your exams and feel free to ask me any questions :biggrin:

Hi, Im thinking of maybe applying to Aston for pharmacy. what did you get for your A levels? :smile:
Reply 53
Hi!

I'm a fourth year at UEA studying pharmacy. Any queries about the applications or the course feel free to ask me!

Hope exams went well for everyone!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by jadechapell
What grades did you get at a level and in what subjects? And did you get any pharmacy work experience?

Hello,

I got A*AB in Chemistry, Geography, and Biology ,(A in General Studies but most uni's do not count this). Grades for entry, some will get in on AAB\ABB and this is why interviews are a good thing as you get to sell yourself, so if you miss a grade and you have scored highly in the interview you may still get accepted!

I did a couple of days in community but that was all. I mainly talked about skills I had got from my part time job in a shop. It's all good experience which is transferable to pharmacy.

Hope this helps!
I'm planning on doing pharmacy.
Options: Nottingham, UEA, Bath, Kings college
Hoping to get 3 A's and 1 B at AS
Original post by sam2394
Hi!

I'm a fourth year at UEA studying pharmacy. Any queries about the applications or the course feel free to ask me!

Hope exams went well for everyone!

I really like UEA and went to the open day last weekend!
The professer did say that they don't inlcude the personal statement in the choosing process, is this actually true?? I was really confused on this
Original post by thegodofgod
Hi, I'm currently a 2nd year MPharm student at Brighton - feel free to ask me questions about Brighton or pharmacy in general!

So have you considered where you might apply?

Is AS maths at a high enough level for pharmacy? I can't decide whether to drop maths or physics :s-smilie:
Original post by Sade_101
Is AS maths at a high enough level for pharmacy? I can't decide whether to drop maths or physics :s-smilie:

Hi, I'm a second year pharmacy student and I did absolutely no maths at a level and still got offers from universities including Kings. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending