The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sade_101
Is AS maths at a high enough level for pharmacy? I can't decide whether to drop maths or physics :s-smilie:

To be honest, you'll be fine as long as you've achieved a B or above at GCSE level. I dropped Maths after AS as I got a B, and I'm fine now.

More importantly, it is your basic arithmetic skills that are vital in pharmacy, not complex log calculations etc - that's why A Level Maths is absolutely not a necessity for pharmacy.
Reply 61
Original post by tcameron
I really like UEA and went to the open day last weekend!
The professer did say that they don't inlcude the personal statement in the choosing process, is this actually true?? I was really confused on this

I'm not aware of this, I'll check for you with the course director and get back to you. They obviously use the personal statement to select you for interview, but maybe after then it's based on the interviews and grades?

I'll find out and let you know.

UEA is a lovely place to study and the pharmacy school has some excellent lecturers and there's lots of support. The open day is the best way to find this out and it looks like you have! I have enjoyed every minute their (obviously apart from exam days!)
Original post by mismash
can i do pharmacy with bbb??

Hi I'm a current student at UCLan we offer Pharmacy as a degree which you can find at:
http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/mpharm_hons_pharmacy.php

Which does have a slightly higher grade of ABB than you are asking about but feel free to contact the admissions team at UCLan on: [email protected] to see about the grade boundaries. We also offer a foundation degree which you can find at:

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/bsc_physiology_and_pharmacology_foundation_entry.php

Which offers a lower entry requirement so it may be of interest to you also, but do feel free to chat to the admissions team on the above email.
Hi guys! Is anyone else struggling for work experience because of SOP's? I haven't tried all the local ones yet but hope I don't get told they all can't take me, how is everyone finding open days? Been to Manchester and Cardiff so far, still got Keele, Birmingham, Bath and I think one other but can't remember off the top of my head :smile:
Reply 64
Does anyone know how Uni's stand on resitting AS level modules? Will it disadvantage me in my application for Pharmacy?
Original post by guru99
Does anyone know how Uni's stand on resitting AS level modules? Will it disadvantage me in my application for Pharmacy?

Usually if you resit within the two years of A-level, you won't be at a disadvantage and the entry requirements will be the same.
But if you like repeat a year or take longer than the two years to resit the entry requirements will probably be higher but I don't think they'll put you at a disadvantage
Reply 66
hi i did really badly in my AS, got CCD in the subjects im doing at A2 but im considering Pharmacy. I will be resitting most of my AS modules. I will be able to get my predicted grades to ABB hopefully.. should I apply or not?
I am applying for pharmacy this year and have just had my A2 results and got A*AA so I know I've got the grades for pharmacy is there anyone else put there who will be 19 when starting the course? For anyone who isn't sure about their AS results or if they have to resit, my best advice is to email the pharmacy admissions or call to the unis you want to go to and see what they say as every university is different on entry requirements and things although I know of someone who resat exams and so took 3 years to achieve her A Levels and she got BBB after the resits and still got into Keele to study pharmacy so don't worry too much! Also a good interview may make up for slightly missing the grades :biggrin:
I got AABBC in my AS results with the A's in chemistry and geography. Planning on dropping maths next year since it was my lowest grade and continuing Chem, Bio and Geography
(edited 8 years ago)
In my AS results I got
B - biology (6 UMS off an A)
B - maths
C - chemistry
E - economics

(I know these are absolute awful grades). I am dropping economics and plan to resit my M1 exam to bring maths up to an A and will also be retaking chemistry and biology unit 2 to get an A overall. My grades are awful because i completely over estimated myself and didn't work hard enough. Next year will be a lot harder and I honestly cant wait to get stuck in and bring my grades up.
I just want to know, will I even get a conditional offer from a university that asks for AAB for pharmacy?
Before the exams my school said that our A2 predicted grades will mostly likely be 1 higher than what we achieved at AS. I can see this being true for maths and biology, but not for chemistry as I was predicted all B's this year and obviously did not get that for chem.
So say with an AAC predicted, would I get a conditional?

Please bare in mind that i do actually enjoy chemistry, I just didnt work hard enough :'(
Also, will my economics grade ruin my chances? :/

Oh yeah and this summer holidays I have also done a 4 week Nuffield research placement in a chemistry and drug discovery lab at the Medway School of Pharmacy, which surely will show them my enthusiasm and dedication to the subject? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I am applying to pharmacy for 2016 entry, I will apply to Bradford, LJMU, Hertfordshire, Wolverhampton and Sunderland, wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Bradford, Manchester, Huddersfield, Brighton, Cardiff
Reply 72
Bradford, Manchester, Huddersfield, Brighton, Cardiff
Reply 73
I was wondering, does most university count language as a subject if you are native to that language (not english). Do you think I should apply for pharmacy if I have go AABBC for my AS-Level, and by the end of A-level i will have 6 Alevels because I am planning to do Further Maths as well next year (just to get the tariff points) .
Nottingham, UEA, Kings College, Bath and Reading :smile:
I got AABBC at AS and will be continuing with the ones I got AABB onto A2
Reply 75
Tbh 90% of unis really don't care about other A levels apart from chem bio and your other subject if you're taking maths a lot of the time they will not take it if youre doing futher maths too and no most don't take it if you're a native speaker so if I were you really nail bio chem and your third subject because although it maybe nice having 6 a levels the extra work and the missed out on grades in other subjects don't make it worth it in my opinion.
Reply 76
You'll need to have Chemistry predicted at at least a B, however some universities who want AAB will want Chemistry at A or higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by alki284
Tbh 90% of unis really don't care about other A levels apart from chem bio and your other subject if you're taking maths a lot of the time they will not take it if youre doing futher maths too and no most don't take it if you're a native speaker so if I were you really nail bio chem and your third subject because although it maybe nice having 6 a levels the extra work and the missed out on grades in other subjects don't make it worth it in my opinion.

Thanks, cause I have actually got 2 A* in alvl already (maths and my native language). Which means for my A2 now, I just have to nail Bio and Chem in order to get at least AAB for Pharmacy.
Reply 78
See again I would watch that because some unis will only take 3 a levels that you have completed this year so I would see where you want to reply and see what they say
Would dropping maths with AS grade B and keeping physics for A2 with AS grade B put me at a disadvantage for pharmacy? I am predicted an A in physics and B in maths. I'd probably retake a maths exam or two to bring the AS grade up to an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending