The Student Room Group

Why are communication systems needed for multicellular organisms, what are these syst

Hi there,
I have to complete a 2000 word essay due in a weeks time entitled "Why are communication systems needed for multicellular organisms, what are these systems and how do they work?". I was wandering if anyone had some ideas or interesting points that they thought might be adding. It should also be noted that since I take all three sciences and maths at a-level essay writing is not my strong point any advice on how to plan or write good essays would be of great help as I am way out of my comfort zone.
Thank you
Here are some ideas as to why organisms need a communication system.

* To respond to changes in their external environment
(Such as temperature)
The changes can occur slowly e.g. as the seasons change from summer -> winter
- or quite rapidly day/night

In order to survive and reduce stresses such as high/low temperatures the organism will need a communication system that can monitor changes and bring about a response.
This response can be behavioural or physiological.

* To respond to changes in their internal environment
e.g
When cells are going through metabolic activities they produce waste products such as CO2. When dissolved in water it forms carbonic acid.
If this was to build up in the tissue fluid it would lower the pH of the surrounding environment. This would disrupt the activity of enzymes.

* To coordinate the the functions of the different systems
Multicellular organisms have differentiated (Specialized) cells that perform specific functions. A communication system is needed that allows all the different parts to communicate with each other

A good communication needs to be able to:

cover the whole body

enable cells to communicate

detect and respond to stimuli

allow for long term and short term responses

allow for specific communication

These systems are hormonal (endocrine) or neuronal

one uses the blood to transport chemical signals which are carried all over the body (circulatory system) but the signal only produces a response in target cells, ones which have the specific receptor on their cell surface membrane?
-Slower but allows for long term responses such as hormones

The other uses the network of neurons to send electrical signals across synapses. -Very fast transmission and responses

You might want to find out more on negative feedback and homeostasis
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much, sometimes you just need a starting point. You are amazing have a nice day.

Original post by obdreno
Here are some ideas as to why organisms need a communication system.

* To respond to changes in their external environment
(Such as temperature)
The changes can occur slowly e.g. as the seasons change from summer -> winter
- or quite rapidly day/night

In order to survive and reduce stresses such as high/low temperatures the organism will need a communication system that can monitor changes and bring about a response.
This response can be behavioural or physiological.

* To respond to changes in their internal environment
e.g
When cells are going through metabolic activities they produce waste products such as CO2. When dissolved in water it forms carbonic acid.
If this was to build up in the tissue fluid it would lower the pH of the surrounding environment. This would disrupt the activity of enzymes.

* To coordinate the the functions of the different systems
Multicellular organisms have differentiated (Specialized) cells that perform specific functions. A communication system is needed that allows all the different parts to communicate with each other

A good communication needs to be able to:

cover the whole body

enable cells to communicate

detect and respond to stimuli

allow for long term and short term responses

allow for specific communication

These systems are hormonal (endocrine) or neuronal

one uses the blood to transport chemical signals which are carried all over the body (circulatory system) but the signal only produces a response in target cells, ones which have the specific receptor on their cell surface membrane?
-Slower but allows for long term responses such as hormones

The other uses the network of neurons to send electrical signals across synapses. -Very fast transmission and responses

You might want to find out more on negative feedback and homeostasis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending