The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Engineering Or A-Level (Maths, Physics and Chemistry)

Hi,
Im struggling a lot on my choices after GCSE's. And i wish to go on studying Engineering at University (preferably Electronic or Electrical Engineering).
I've read the best of both worlds (Btec or a-level) but really can't decide..
Maybe some of you guys can help? :biggrin:
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JohnLad
Hi,
Im struggling a lot on my choices after GCSE's. And i wish to go on studying Engineering at University (preferably Electronic or Electrical Engineering).
Thanks

Would you say you're academic? What are your GCSE predictions looking like?
Reply 2
Original post by Gilo98
Would you say you're academic? What are your GCSE predictions looking like?

Yes I'm academic in most subjects.
For Physics and Chemistry around B/A.
Maths A.
And the rest of my subjects Cs or Bs.
Reply 3
Original post by JohnLad
Yes I'm academic in most subjects.
For Physics and Chemistry around B/A.
Maths A.
And the rest of my subjects Cs or Bs.

I'm also in Yr11 so wouldn't advise you personally - however, I think the majority of people would advise you to take A Levels, especially if you could get 3As in Physics, Chem and Maths. If I were you I would be taking A Levels - more highly regarded for University over BTEC.
Original post by JohnLad
Hi,
Thanks

A levels > BTEC, you also have decent GCSE's so it really should not be an issue :smile: Also you will enjoy A levels more.
Reply 5
Original post by Gilo98
I'm also in Yr11 so wouldn't advise you personally - however, I think the majority of people would advise you to take A Levels, especially if you could get 3As in Physics, Chem and Maths. If I were you I would be taking A Levels - more highly regarded for University over BTEC.

Okay I see,
Thank you so much For your opinion. I will now consider doing a-levels over Btec for now anyways :smile:
Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by JohnLad
Okay I see,
Thank you so much For your opinion. I will now consider doing a-levels over Btec for now anyways :smile:
Thanks again :biggrin:

No worries, I'm sure you'll get a few people concurring with myself and the above person over the coming days. Plus, you don't have to decide before you get your GCSE results.
Reply 7
Original post by Jai Sandhu
A levels > BTEC, you also have decent GCSE's so it really should not be an issue :smile: Also you will enjoy A levels more.

Thanks for your opinion,
i only considered doing BTEC Engineering as it is more specific and hands on.
And thanks for those points :biggrin:
Original post by JohnLad
Thanks for your opinion,
i only considered doing BTEC Engineering as it is more specific and hands on.
And thanks for those points :biggrin:

Sorry points were brief, have an exam tomorrow, but yeah, A levels will prepare you more and give you the option to change which is very important, if you decide you dont want to do what you planned, like I wanted to do physics then changed my mind to maths, if you are on a BTEC and you realise this is not the right thing it will be hard to change, A levels it will likely not be an issue.
Reply 9
Original post by Gilo98
No worries, I'm sure you'll get a few people concurring with myself and the above person over the coming days. Plus, you don't have to decide before you get your GCSE results.

Yes that is true, results day will have the answer. It would be good to see more opinions :biggrin:
Cheers Gilo
Year 13 A Level student here. I'd say ditto to what others have said, you don't need to decide right now. If you feel you'd enjoy doing a BTEC then don't be afraid to do so! A Levels are generally considered more "rigorous" but I'd say it's best to do a bit of research to ensure that a wide variety of universities accept the BTEC (which I'm sure they will).

Just remember you will be the first year group to have A Level exams all at the end so you will be faced with quite a few. Don't let it throw you but don't completely ignore that if you're still deciding.

Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Sorry points were brief, have an exam tomorrow, but yeah, A levels will prepare you more and give you the option to change which is very important, if you decide you dont want to do what you planned, like I wanted to do physics then changed my mind to maths, if you are on a BTEC and you realise this is not the right thing it will be hard to change, A levels it will likely not be an issue.

Oh i see now, yeah i guess it would be hard to change from BTEC to A level, but maybe not the other way round.
Thanks for the points,
Good Luck tomorrow :biggrin:

p.s i got exam tomorrow too; Geo and computing :P
Original post by JohnLad
Oh i see now, yeah i guess it would be hard to change from BTEC to A level, but maybe not the other way round.
Thanks for the points,
Good Luck tomorrow :biggrin:

p.s i got exam tomorrow too; Geo and computing :P

Good luck to you as well :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by JustHolly
Year 13 A Level student here. I'd say ditto to what others have said, you don't need to decide right now. If you feel you'd enjoy doing a BTEC then don't be afraid to do so! A Levels are generally considered more "rigorous" but I'd say it's best to do a bit of research to ensure that a wide variety of universities accept the BTEC (which I'm sure they will).

Just remember you will be the first year group to have A Level exams all at the end so you will be faced with quite a few. Don't let it throw you but don't completely ignore that if you're still deciding.

Good luck!

I agree with your points about not deciding now and your right! time will tell. And you have my trust as you being an A-Level student. I have read about the new a-level system being used next year :/ seems very 'Intense'.
Thanks you :smile:
Original post by JohnLad
I agree with your points about not deciding now and your right! time will tell. And you have my trust as you being an A-Level student. I have read about the new a-level system being used next year :/ seems very 'Intense'.

Our school has been doing this system for years, we do AS and A2 exams at the end of 2 years and such our exams are more intense than the ones you will sit as we sit modular exams at the end of 2 years not designed for a linear approach. I have had 8 exams, and have 14 more and i am coping fine, you will likewise be fine :smile:
If you want to have better chances of getting into a very top uni you may want to opt for A level
Engineering at uni is very rigorous mathematically speaking. If you want the best preparation I really really think A level maths is a must.
BTEC is more practical and a bit more relaxed. I am not a fan of choosing stuff because it's easier! So I will never agree with someone who chooses BTEC for a more relaxed sixth form experience
Definitely go for what suits you better, but not in terms of comfort. Will it prepare you sufficiently for uni? Will you enjoy what you learn?
Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by JohnLad

No worries! I'm glad I was helpful! The new system isn't amazing in my opinion, however it is designed to be somewhat manageable. As long as you don't mind revision, you won't have any issues I'm sure!

Also, I would say a good aspect of the A Levels in the subjects you want to do is that revision is very simple; you revise content and then do looooaaaads of past papers to apply the information learnt. It's very methodical unlike subjects such as English Literature in which an essay answer is a 5 page response that resembles squiggles!
Reply 17
The BTEC in Engineering is meant to be good preperation for most Engineering degrees you will cover various engineering disciplines including borh Mechanical and Electronic/Electrical, there is also a pathway for Aeronautical and Aviation Engineering i believe, you will also do 2 maths units which cover A level content, and in particularly the maths you will need for tje first year of an Engineering degree, most universities accept a Distinction in these 2 units instead of A level maths, however i woyld recommend you taking it anyway ad you would have an extra lesson slot on your timetable.

As other peolle mentioned you will gain a lot of practical experience, and this is excellent and well regarded by universities and employers alike, you will mist likely get to do Welding, CNC machining, CAD/CAM, build electronic circuits and you will a lot more to do with workshop tools and machinary.

Personally,if when i was at sixth form a few years ago and if i wanted to do Engineering i would 100% take the BTEC in Engineering either:

BTEC Extended Engineering (3 A levels) + A level Maths

Or

BTEC Diploma Engineering (2 A levels) + Maths + Physics

Or

BTEC Subsid Engineering (1 A level) + Maths + Physics + (Further Maths or Electronics or Computing)

Hope this helps :smile:
Should students who intend to become engineers go down the BTEC route rather than the A Level route?

I asked (several people at) the IET about courses and qualifications for electronic engineering and their reply was do mathematics and physics at A Level. Experience has revealed that the IET is not a good place to enquire about courses related to engineering below degree level and the institution as a whole does not maintain a directory of such courses and qualifications.

The IET almost could not comment on the Computing / Computer Science A Level because they did not know much about it nor did any people who received my queries know off the top of their head. Some of the information they provided about the electronics A Level referred to what it was like over 20 years ago (although I haven't been able to verify this due to lack of old exam papers etc.) or was just plain wrong. When I enquired about BTECs I was told that they were for technicians rather than engineers and although they can be used to access higher education some universities consider them inferior to A Levels or the hallmark of an academically weak student. I suspect that the information largely came from middle aged engineers who had gone down the mathematics and physics at A Level avenue but had little knowledge of other qualifications.
What if I am unable to do A-level maths because I got a 5 instead of a 6

Quick Reply

Latest