The Student Room Group

COLD WAR HISTORY EXAM 8th June!

Scroll to see replies

I just wanted to say that the Post-Stalin Thaw was last year only, not both years, so there is a chance it could come up again. Detente came up twice two years in a row. :-)
Did it? Hm, I thought they did it in pairs like thaw + sino-soviet and then arms and detente.. I must of read it wrong haha :s-smilie:
Original post by Hannahj97
I just wanted to say that the Post-Stalin Thaw was last year only, not both years, so there is a chance it could come up again. Detente came up twice two years in a row. :-)

I have a past paper pack the teacher gave us and could swear last year was Post-Stalin Thaw and Sino-Soviet Relations?

The year before was 100% Détente and the Arms Race.
For the love of all that is holy I hope it's detente and arms race question for A but I have my reservations in completely trusting the so-called pattern of the questions. Namely because in 2012 this was one of the questions:

The improvement in Sino-US relations was the main factor promoting détentebetween Russia and America in the years 1969–75.’ How far do you agree with thisview?

I personally would class that as a detente rather than Sino-Soviet topic question. A question relating to the start of detente and why the superpowers adopted it as a foreign policy. So my overall point is ensure you've been revising at least 3 of the A question topics. If you've solely been focused on detente and arms race, get some quick revision in on peaceful co-existence or sino-soviet relations. I have a gut feeling edexcel are going to be horrible this year.

To continue the pessimism (sorry people) the end of the Cold War question is most likely to fall on one of the lesser individuals (Thatcher or Popey) or moral bankruptcy. As I believe there hasn't been a question on any of these yet.

So all I can say is good luck everyone, now it falls on the luck of the draw of the questions.
No it can be either nuclear arms race or the thaw then the other question can be out of Sino Soviet or Detente there's no set way of how they do it. But last year was the thaw and sino soviet just by chance not because they do it in pairs :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
And I mean that last years exam was post thaw and sino soviet but the exam the year before wasn't the post thaw again, it was nuclear arms race

Posted from TSR Mobile
And I mean that last years exam was post thaw and sino soviet but the exam the year before wasn't the post thaw again, it was nuclear arms race

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course, that 2012 question is most certainly the exception rather than the rule. It just stands as proof that Edexcel are willing to break patterns in order to throw students off. For instance they could amalgamate peaceful coexistence and the arms race and ask "How far did the spiraling arms race undermine the policy of peaceful coexistence?"
Original post by Ajenks97
For the love of all that is holy I hope it's detente and arms race question for A but I have my reservations in completely trusting the so-called pattern of the questions. Namely because in 2012 this was one of the questions:

The improvement in Sino-US relations was the main factor promoting détentebetween Russia and America in the years 1969–75.’ How far do you agree with thisview?

I personally would class that as a detente rather than Sino-Soviet topic question. A question relating to the start of detente and why the superpowers adopted it as a foreign policy. So my overall point is ensure you've been revising at least 3 of the A question topics. If you've solely been focused on detente and arms race, get some quick revision in on peaceful co-existence or sino-soviet relations. I have a gut feeling edexcel are going to be horrible this year.

To continue the pessimism (sorry people) the end of the Cold War question is most likely to fall on one of the lesser individuals (Thatcher or Popey) or moral bankruptcy. As I believe there hasn't been a question on any of these yet.

So all I can say is good luck everyone, now it falls on the luck of the draw of the questions.

Ah I know I was thinking that since they have asked all the main stated factors for part B now, I pray it's not those ones you said, the role of Pope and thatcher are so tiny!😭

What do you / anyone think they will ask ok detente if it is that - the causes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FayeBailey
Ah I know I was thinking that since they have asked all the main stated factors for part B now, I pray it's not those ones you said, the role of Pope and thatcher are so tiny!😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they could ask on the Pope/ Thatcher, but maybe on "internal factors in eastern europe" eg: Pope John Paul, Reformers within Communist governments, outdated leaders etc...?

For detente, they may ask on why it failed to end the cold war/ how far it failed due to a particular factor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Detente does come up, then I'd put my money on why it ended. But to a lesser extent I would say the causes, because that 2012 question was a causes one.
If Detente does come up, then I'd put my money on why it ended. But to a lesser extent I would say the causes, because that 2012 question was a causes one.

Yeah I think/ hope that too! I'd really like a while it failed Question! Praying its a lovely paper for us all 😪😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I think/ hope that too! I'd really like a while it failed Question! Praying its a lovely paper for us all 😪😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck mate.
Good luck mate.

Thanks so much! Good luck to you too!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could help me differentiate between great power rivalry and ideology for the beginning of the cold war question. Would be greatly appreciated
Yes of course, that 2012 question is most certainly the exception rather than the rule. It just stands as proof that Edexcel are willing to break patterns in order to throw students off. For instance they could amalgamate peaceful coexistence and the arms race and ask "How far did the spiraling arms race undermine the policy of peaceful coexistence?"

What would you write for that because I can't think of factors for that question, that's a harsh question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you write for that because I can't think of factors for that question, that's a harsh question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither, that's an awful question !!😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me neither, that's an awful question !!😭😭

Possibly could discuss how the arms build up undermined peaceful coexistence, as rather than cooperate with one another, they seeked to build and to compete and to develop weapons they could use against one another.

You could however say MAD in a sense stabilised peaceful coexistence, such as preventing war from breaking out in Hungary, Taiwan and Korea. That prevented war and still allowed for continuing discussions with superpowers.

I imagine you can also discuss the Cuban Missile Crisis in form of it ruining peaceful coexistence with war, however also offered some form of peaceful coexistence with the resulting agreements and reduction of tensions.

This is just a few ideas, not 100% sure if you could use them, but they seem perfectly good to me.
Original post by SuperSah
Possibly could discuss how the arms build up undermined peaceful coexistence, as rather than cooperate with one another, they seeked to build and to compete and to develop weapons they could use against one another.

You could however say MAD in a sense stabilised peaceful coexistence, such as preventing war from breaking out in Hungary, Taiwan and Korea. That prevented war and still allowed for continuing discussions with superpowers.

I imagine you can also discuss the Cuban Missile Crisis in form of it ruining peaceful coexistence with war, however also offered some form of peaceful coexistence with the resulting agreements and reduction of tensions.

This is just a few ideas, not 100% sure if you could use them, but they seem perfectly good to me.

So sort of like stabilising v destabilising then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So sort of like stabilising v destabilising then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It feels like it, I guess. :/

Make sure you always refer how that particularly affected peaceful coexistence.

You can easily say how MAD did not undermine peaceful coexistence such as how it effectively kept war at bare minimum and allowed for discussions etc etc.
Original post by SuperSah
It feels like it, I guess. :/

Make sure you always refer how that particularly affected peaceful coexistence.

You can easily say how MAD did not undermine peaceful coexistence such as how it effectively kept war at bare minimum and allowed for discussions etc etc.

Yeah good point!! Thank you !
It's so annoying isn't it - you can revise so much but still get an awful question on the day :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending