The Student Room Group

Qualifications from different countries

I sent off my UCAS application a few days ago, and now that I've had plenty of time to think about my choices (and look over the entry requirements again), I'm getting worried.

For two years of high school, I studied in Canada, and for the other two years, I was in the US. Because I am currently in the US, I suppose I am considered a US applicant.

However, the entry requirements for US and Canadian applicants are vastly different.
Canadian applicants are usually asked to have 70-80% in all their courses to be considered for admissions, while US applicants are asked to have 2-3 APs with good scores, 3 SAT IIs with good scores, an SAT I with good scores AND a 80-85% minimum average for courses.

For one thing, I feel like this is a rediculous difference. Canadian schools are much more lax about academics (in my experience), so to ask for lower grades than US schools is silly.

But anyway, my point is - I'm concerned that I will be at a disadvantage for applying as a US applicant without 3 APs under my belt. Do you think they might realize I was in Canada for 2 years and forgive that? The only place the address for my Canadian school is written on my application is in my reference, and I'm afraid it will go over their heads.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to write them and point out that, and the fact that my current (US) school does not offer APs, as it focuses on work experience rather than traditional academics? They don't even give out grades at my US school!

I don't want to do anything that would put me at more of a disadvantage, so I don't know whether I should leave it alone instead.

Anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
wesetters
The reason the percentage requirements are different is that the qualifications themselves are different, and they try to match them to equivalent A levels.

I realize that, and as I said, I think it's silly because Canadian schools are much more lax about academics, so a lower average and no standardized test requirements is in no way equal to what they ask of American applicants.

Still, that wasn't the point of my post.
I just want to know whether I should consider writing to the universities I have applied to about my ability to take APs in 10th and 11th grade and the fact that my current school doesn't offer any.

It's probably best to leave it alone though.
I have work experience and the SAT I and IIs I do have are adequate. Writing would probably just annoy them.
Reply 2

Get your referee to write/email them and explain this, although it really should have gone in your reference. If there was no chance of you doing AP's then it does seem unfair for them to reject you because of that.
Reply 3
lol, wow, I was not thinking I'd see this thread pop back up. I almost deleted it earlier.

I don't think this is the right place to debate about the curriculum required to graduate in BC (which, I've heard is more vigorous than some of the other provinces) vs that required in many of the States or the type of college admissions process in each country that encourages certain behaviors in students, but I think people in the rest of the world just enjoy thinking anything that comes out of the US resembles George Bush in intellect and therefore assume our schools are all crap...

/shrug

As stated before, this post was about ME and the fact that I have mixed qualifications that might be evaluated strangely because they would assume, being in the US for my last year of high school, I should enter into a prestigious school and jump into 5 APs.

It's not that easy.

And I am in a unique situation for other reasons as well.

But I'm trying to handle my situation.
Reply 4
Juno
Get your referee to write/email them and explain this, although it really should have gone in your reference. If there was no chance of you doing AP's then it does seem unfair for them to reject you because of that.

The thing is, my referee is from my Canadian school and she spent most of the reference talking about how wonderful I am along with a mention of my extenuating circumstances affecting my GPA. It wasn't/isn't really her place to talk about the curriculum at my current school.

My school, when they send out transcripts, also sends a 2-page letter explaining the nature of the school (at which point it would be made clear to them that it's not a place where they would be offering APs and the like)...I could have it scanned and e-mailed to them or sent by post, but it might be a bit late for that now, I don't know if it will make any difference, and there really didn't seem to be a place for that in the initial UCAS form.
Reply 5
Ink
The thing is, my referee is from my Canadian school and she spent most of the reference talking about how wonderful I am along with a mention of my extenuating circumstances affecting my GPA. It wasn't/isn't really her place to talk about the curriculum at my current school.

My school, when they send out transcripts, also sends a 2-page letter explaining the nature of the school (at which point it would be made clear to them that it's not a place where they would be offering APs and the like)...I could have it scanned and e-mailed to them or sent by post, but it might be a bit late for that now, I don't know if it will make any difference, and there really didn't seem to be a place for that in the initial UCAS form.

When did you change schools? They might see it as a little odd that you got a reference from your old school, as if it was a few years ago you might have changed.

In that case, email the unis saying basically what you've said here (you cant do AP's and have chenged schools etc), and ask if they need a letter/email from your referee or someone at your new school to confirm this. It might be best to phone first to check who to email, but that might be a bit expensive. Don't panic, because if they think you're a little odd they'll probably ask why first before rejecting you.
Reply 6
Juno
When did you change schools? They might see it as a little odd that you got a reference from your old school, as if it was a few years ago you might have changed.

In that case, email the unis saying basically what you've said here (you cant do AP's and have chenged schools etc), and ask if they need a letter/email from your referee or someone at your new school to confirm this. It might be best to phone first to check who to email, but that might be a bit expensive. Don't panic, because if they think you're a little odd they'll probably ask why first before rejecting you.

I changed schools last May.
I only started my new school in July, and most of my corrospondances relating to my school have been with adults at my internships, who I didn't think would give a good evaluation of how I am as a student. I am graduating on Monday, so my time with these people has been limited, whereas I have known my referee for two years and she taught me in a subject related to the courses I applied for.

I already wrote an e-mail to one of the schools that *requires* APs to clarify my school history.

I got a rejection from the other one.

I checked with the other schools, and some of them don't *require* APs - just SAT IIs, so I haven't e-mailed them. I'm just waiting to see what happens.

Thanks for all your advice Juno :smile:
You are very helpful.
Reply 7
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 70-80% averages at Canadian high schools typically seen as As? I'm not quite sure on the difference between provinces, but I distinctly remember something reading about something like that. An 80% average in Canada would be seen as the equivalent of a 97% average in the States because they're both high As, right?

Also, let's not forget that Canada is still technically ruled by Her Majesty the Queen. With it being a Commonwealth country, I suppose they must trust them more.
Reply 8
Lexy86
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 70-80% averages at Canadian high schools typically seen as As? I'm not quite sure on the difference between provinces, but I distinctly remember something reading about something like that. An 80% average in Canada would be seen as the equivalent of a 97% average in the States because they're both high As, right?

Also, let's not forget that Canada is still technically ruled by Her Majesty the Queen. With it being a Commonwealth country, I suppose they must trust them more.

No, in Canada
86 - 100 = A
76 - 85 = B
65 - 75 = C
And I dunno, I think below 50 is failing, whereas in the US, below 65 is failing.

The difference is not that drastic.
80% in the states = 76% in Canada, if you assume that everyone grades "tougher" in Canada, which isn't always the case...especially when it comes to real tests, not essays.
And when you get up to the high 90s, I think everyone regards that pretty much the same in both the US and Canada. A 97% average in either country is good, and I honestly don't think teachers that are dispensing high 90s and 100% are thinking "oh, but A starts at 86 here in Canada, so I should pull down his/her grade a few points to even it out."
Reply 9
d1va5ta7
WHAT?

80-100 = A
70- 80 = B
60- 70 = C
50- 60 = D

but your correct, under 50= FAIL!

Unless you are talking about a different province. This is the grading equlivalincy in Ontario. Might be diff in others.

The grading thing I listed is how it was at my school in British Columbia.

lol I just checked with someone who still goes there just to make sure and she confirmed that the 86 - 100 is an A in BC.
Reply 10
Juno
Email the one who rejected you anway, just to clarify things. They may not reconsider, but you can't lose anything by trying.

It is up to you whether you leave it or not, but personally I think it would be better to email them and give them information they may have already worked out than to leave it and get rejected everywhere. There is always Extra or Clearing, but with you being an international student I'm not sure whether that would mess up funding, visas etc

Hmm okay, I think I will write something to the one I got rejected from...I didn't think it was likely that they'd reply at all if I wrote anything, but you're right, I've got nothing to lose by writing them at this point, so I'll try it.

I originally wanted to e-mail the ones that didn't require APs, just to make sure they understood my school history and the type of alternative school program I'm currently at, but my mom's bf told me not to draw attention to "negative" things unless I had to. His theory is that if I draw attention to the fact that I am lacking certain things, or write seeming un-confident about my qualifications, it will make me more likely to get rejected.

I am confused now, haha...
Reply 11
Lexy86

Granny Power!!!
Reply 12
d1va5ta7
I knew Ontario was the place to be then :P lol

Pshh, BC is prettier :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending