The Student Room Group

What books/websites did you use to improve your essay writing technique?

I've heard some of them are very funny and really useful but i was wondering if anyone had any they found helpful?
I've heard 100 Ways toImprove Your Writing is a very good one that is easy to use and funny to read but its aimed more at English and history students
Hi,
If the question is still topical, I'd like to share my experience with you. As a journalist, I have to admit that the first must-have thing is reading. The more book you read the best your writing skill is. Also, there are some spellcheckers that make your writing typos free and even some of them check your grammar constructions. Also, when I was a first-course student I asked to help me essay service. There are a lot of them. But I'd chosen a review service topreviewstars and was happy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by student2312
I've heard some of them are very funny and really useful but i was wondering if anyone had any they found helpful?
I've heard 100 Ways toImprove Your Writing is a very good one that is easy to use and funny to read but its aimed more at English and history students

Hello :smile:

I realise this post is a little out-of-date but I hope it's still okay to share some personal experiences with you? When improving the way you academic writing, a lot of it will be done in first year (but it'll always continue to improve slightly). When it comes to First Year, you'll start reading academic books different to what you are used too and you'll start to understand how they write and how they order their books and chapters and their points within them - you'll see their structure and 90% of the time, it's something you can apply to your own assignments. Also, after the first couple of assignments and you receive your feedback - make sure you breakdown your feedback and really understand it - if you don't, go to your lecturer or student support and have it explained to you - therefore, you'll know the direction to head in!

Also, a good website I look a review on was called 'Analyze - Academic Help'. It's an American Service but works for UK universities and students as well. Luckily, because I was reviewing the website, I got a tester instead of having to pay but basically what you do is upload credit to your account and then upload an assignment that you have written, someone is then assigned to your assignment that bests suits your course and requirements. They go over your assignment and 'mark it' and leave feedback for you to read in specific places as well as general - they then tell you the rough grade boundary you are looking at - you can preview the work as they are going through and marking it and once it's completed and you're happy, you release the payment to them! Extremely helpful!

Also, this one is a little off-topic but when it comes to writing assignments and doing your bibliography, 'RefMe' is a fantastic app/website!

Hope this helped a little :smile:
Hey..Check out Ultimate Essay Writing Guide at mycloudessay.com.

Quick Reply

Latest