The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C2 Questions and Solutions [3rd June 2015]

Just putting it up here separately so people can see and not rummage through the whole thread. If there's anything incorrect, I could have worded better or something please let me know so I can fix it. I don't have the actual question paper so this is all from memory, so I don't know how many marks each part is worth.
1)Differentiate 12*cube root x and integrate 6x3\frac{6}{x^3}

Spoiler

2) U1 = 2, Un+1 = 10Un2\frac{10}{{Un}^{2}} Find the sum of U1, U2, U3 and U4.

Spoiler

3) 10th terms of an arithmetic sequence is 11.1, 50th is 7.1, find common difference, first term, and sum of first 50 terms.

Spoiler

4) Sector of circle with angle 1.5 radians has 27 cm2cm^2 area. Find the perimeter.

Spoiler

5) Use calculus to find where x36xx^3 - 6x is an increasing function.

Spoiler

6) Sketch, on the same axes, 3x3^x and 32x3^{2x} If 32x=729 3^{2x} = 729 Find 3x 3^x and x, in any order.

Spoiler

7) sin2x=3cosx2sin^2x = 3cosx - 2, find x where 0<x<2π 0<x<2 \pi

Spoiler

8)A sketch showing log10y against log10x going through 0,2 and 2,8. Find log10y in terms of log10x and hence y in terms of x.

Spoiler

9) Illustration had a triangle of side lengths 8, 13 and 20, and you were required to find the angle opposite to the side of length 8 and find the area.Following part of question had trapezium rule numbers that I don't remember XD

Spoiler

10) dydx=4x+3\frac{dy}{dx} = 4x + 3 and passes through 2,9. Find the equation of the tangent at 2,9 and find the equation of the curve, where it crosses the x axes and the minimum. The curve is translated parallel to the x axis by scale factor of (1/2), find the new equation of the curve and the new minimum.

Spoiler

11) Daughter question: Jill has 3 daughters, who will also give birth to three daughters each, and the next generation has 3 daughters each per daughter and so on. Find the number of daughters in the 8th generation, the sum of all the daughters in the first generation to the fifteenth generation. Find also the minimum number of generations required for a total of 1 million daughters and the difference between how many she would have if she and each daughter only had 2 daughters.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Pretty sure in question three it was 11.5 not 11.1 (could be wrong though)
Reply 2
Yay I think I got the fifth one wrong, I suspect I calculated root2 = 1...

thanks!
Reply 3
Wouldn't question 2 be 2+2.5+1.6+3.90625=10.00625 or am I doing something wrong
Reply 4
Q 11) 8th generation shouldn't it be 3^7 =2187 as Jill was generation 1 meaning the geometric sequence would be 3^n-1

Also for 15th again wouldn't a =1 so (3^15 - 1) / 3-1 = 7174453 ???
Reply 5
Original post by AlexParmenter

Put 1601 / 160 it gives you 10.00625 :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Keys10
Q 11) 8th generation shouldn't it be 3^7 =2187 as Jill was generation 1 meaning the geometric sequence would be 3^n-1

I think the question counted her first generation of descendants as the 'first generation'
Reply 7
Original post by Keys10
Put 1601 / 160 it gives you 10.00625 :smile:

Oh yeah hahaaha :redface:
Reply 8

10.00625 is the same as the answer I posted, I just put it in fraction form.

Original post by Keys10

I'm fairly certain the question explicitly stated that Jill's daughters were generation 1, not Jill. I don't think you'll lose too many marks for it though, since it's a genuine misreading of the question that doesn't alter the difficulty.

Original post by Willtyler
Pretty sure in question three it was 11.5 not 11.1 (could be wrong though)

I think it was 11.1, since a lot of people also got the same results as I did.
Reply 9

Yes yes yes

:biggrin:
:biggrin:
:colondollar:
Reply 10
I know this isn't a thread about grades but if i roughly got (using the maximum of marks i might have lost):

C1 - 97.2 %

C2- 72.2 %

S1- 83.3%

Will i still be able to overall get an A?!?
Original post by FrostShot
Just putting it up here separately so people can see and not rummage through the whole thread. If there's anything incorrect, I could have worded better or something please let me know so I can fix it. I don't have the actual question paper so this is all from memory, so I don't know how many marks each part is worth.

Spoiler

Spoiler

3) 10th terms of an arithmetic sequence is 11.1, 50th is 7.1, find common difference, first term, and sum of first 50 terms.

Spoiler

4) Sector of circle with angle 1.5 radians has 27 cm2cm^2 area. Find the perimeter.

Spoiler

Spoiler

6) Sketch, on the same axes, 3x3^x and 32x3^{2x} If 32x=729 3^{2x} = 729 Find 3x 3^x and x, in any order.

Spoiler

Spoiler

8)A sketch showing log10y against log10x going through 0,2 and 2,8. Find log10y in terms of log10x and hence y in terms of x.

Spoiler

9) Illustration had a triangle of side lengths 8, 13 and 20, and you were required to find the angle opposite to the side of length 8 and find the area.Following part of question had trapezium rule numbers that I don't remember XD

Spoiler

10) dydx=4x+3\frac{dy}{dx} = 4x + 3 and passes through 2,9. Find the equation of the tangent at 2,9 and find the equation of the curve, where it crosses the x axes and the minimum. The curve is translated parallel to the x axis by scale factor of (1/2), find the new equation of the curve and the new minimum.

Spoiler

11) Daughter question: Jill has 3 daughters, who will also give birth to three daughters each, and the next generation has 3 daughters each per daughter and so on. Find the number of daughters in the 8th generation, the sum of all the daughters in the first generation to the fifteenth generation. Find also the minimum number of generations required for a total of 1 million daughters and the difference between how many she would have if she and each daughter only had 2 daughters.

Spoiler

Thank you so much for this! Could you put the number of marks next to each question please?
Just to check, trapezium one was like h=4 so 2(0+2(.......)+0) and it ended up being really similar to area of previous triangle right? Like 31.2 cm^2 if I remember correctly??
Reply 13
Original post by Keys10
I know this isn't a thread about grades but if i roughly got (using the maximum of marks i might have lost):

C1 - 97.2 %

C2- 72.2 %

S1- 83.3%

Will i still be able to overall get an A?!?

You need 80 UMS average for an A. If you were getting approximately those results, then I think you have a good chance of getting an A, but also a good chance of getting a B. No one can really tell you what you've got now, you'll just have to wait until results day.

Original post by emma_1111
Thank you so much for this! Could you put the number of marks next to each question please?

If I remembered how many marks each question was worth, I would definitely put down the number of marks. Unfortunately, I am not blessed with such an amazing memory, and this is the best I can do. Sorry!

Original post by joe12345marc
Just to check, trapezium one was like h=4 so 2(0+2(.......)+0) and it ended up being really similar to area of previous triangle right? Like 31.2 cm^2 if I remember correctly??

Yes, trapezium rule gave 31.12 and triangle gave 31.0
If I got 78%,91% and 92% could I get an a?
Original post by FrostShot

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

What were the lengths of the sides of the triangle exactly?
Reply 16
If I got 78%,91% and 92% could I get an a?

You need 80 UMS for an A. The grade boundaries vary a bit year by year, but that should get you an A.

What were the lengths of the sides of the triangle exactly?

8cm, 13cm and 20cm.
question 4- it wanted the perimeter of the SECTOR, not the whole circle (which was 9cm if i'm not mistaken) xx
Reply 18
That's what I thought too, but did it specify that?
Reply 19
Original post by sometimestigz
question 4- it wanted the perimeter of the SECTOR, not the whole circle (which was 9cm if i'm not mistaken) xx

Original post by PhillyG
That's what I thought too, but did it specify that?

I'm honestly not sure about this one. The way I interpreted it I thought it meant the length of the arc and the 2 radii at the sides, since if it wanted the arc length it would have said arc length. If the general consensus is that the question is indeed referring to the arc length, I will update it accordingly, but as of now I'm not quite sure so I'll leave it as it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending