The Student Room Group

How to gain weight?

I am looking to go gym this summer and put on muscle, however I am extremely skinny/slim. I am 6ft 1 and weigh in at 62kg. Is there anyway for me to gain weight quickly through shakes or certain diets?

Appreciate any response

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unfathomablee
I am looking to go gym this summer and put on muscle, however I am extremely skinny/slim. I am 6ft 1 and weigh in at 62kg. Is there anyway for me to gain weight quickly through shakes or certain diets?

Appreciate any response

Eat a BigMac every other day.
Sit on the couch and watch tv.
Watch documentaries criticizing anorexic people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eating 10,000 kcals / day

http://youtu.be/9UyP9esxyw4
Forgot to mention I have a fast metabolism
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Eat a BigMac every other day.
Sit on the couch and watch tv.
Watch documentaries criticizing anorexic people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Friend eats 2 big macs or 2 burritos literally nearly every other day.
He's a gamer so he sits around all day
still underweight
I'm in a similar situation and I'm planning on bulking up somewhat after exams have finished, as I have a holiday in late August, which doesn't give me much time. I'm vegetarian which makes it even more difficult, supposedly.

From what I've read, you need to do a work out, hard every 2-3 days with rests in between, and force yourself to eat more calories than you are burning. You really need to eat a lot. I plan to do some research into protein shakes and stock up on Quorn and vitamin rich foods. Also include a bit of cardio (running, etc) in there to make the weight turn into muscle rather than fat.
im 6ft 2 and 72kg....
Reply 7
6'4" and 68kg checking in.

Apparently the key to gain weight is by adding weight to yourself in the form of food. Who would've thought it?

But seriously, just eat a tonne more than you usually would. Just joined a gym and my trainer told me to do the same.
I weighed pretty much the same when I started lifting, an inch taller than yourself and weighed about a kilo more, was skinny as hell and have an above-average metabolic rate myself (free T3 levels have always come back pretty high on blood tests so this is actually confirmed rather than simply labeling my metabolism). Heaviest I've been so far is 100kg at around 25% bodyfat, hovering at 90kg at around 14% bodyfat now after two and a half years of training.

Start off eating 2500kcal a day once you start lifting. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning every Monday. You should be aiming to see an increase of 0.5-1lb on the scales every Monday - if you don't gain weight, add in a couple of hundred extra calories. If you find yourself gaining much faster than this, you're gonna start gaining a significant amount of fat so I'd advise you to slow down - you won't force yourself to gain muscle any faster so gaining this extra fat is pointless. Try and get at least 100g of protein in, won't need to go any higher than 150g at this point and 100g will do you just fine.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I weighed pretty much the same when I started lifting, an inch taller than yourself and weighed about a kilo more, was skinny as hell and have an above-average metabolic rate myself (free T3 levels have always come back pretty high on blood tests so this is actually confirmed rather than simply labeling my metabolism). Heaviest I've been so far is 100kg at around 25% bodyfat, hovering at 90kg at around 14% bodyfat now after two and a half years of training.

Start off eating 2500kcal a day once you start lifting. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning every Monday. You should be aiming to see an increase of 0.5-1lb on the scales every Monday - if you don't gain weight, add in a couple of hundred extra calories. If you find yourself gaining much faster than this, you're gonna start gaining a significant amount of fat so I'd advise you to slow down - you won't force yourself to gain muscle any faster so gaining this extra fat is pointless. Try and get at least 100g of protein in, won't need to go any higher than 150g at this point and 100g will do you just fine.

Thank you man! My final exam is tomorrow and I hope to start on monday with your plan:smile:
Thank you man! My final exam is tomorrow and I hope to start on monday with your plan:smile:

No worries, what's your training routine looking like?
Forgot to mention I have a fast metabolism

No you don't.
Original post by SEHughes
No you don't.

I'm glad that you have a better understanding of my health than myself.
When I was in weight gain mode I could eat three McDonalds breakfasts in a sitting, and chug six pints of milk in a day. You think you're eating enough. You're not.
Shakes are useless, 80g of protein but only like 4g can be actually digested. The rest is processed crap.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Shakes are useless, 80g of protein but only like 4g can be actually digested. The rest is processed crap.

Unflavoured whey in water, if you can handle it.
Try and figure out your daily calorie requirement from one of the many calculators online. As a rough guess it's probably 2500, but it varies on lifestyle, weight, height etc.

Then aim to eat 300-500 more than that each day. Use Myfitnesspal to track calories if it helps, and although you don't have to eat exact, just aim to be in a calorie surplus.

If you've not gained weight in two weeks (weigh yourself under the same sort conditions, eg same time of day). If you've not gained weight, up the calories by say 300, and repeat, until you start putting on weight.

Split up your meals if you want, snack on nuts, cheese, chicken, eggs or anything fairly calorie/protein dense.

If it helps, drink calories, eg a whey protein and whole milk (60ish calories per 100ml and plenty of protein and vitamins). Probably no need to have a weight gain shake.

Enjoy a takeaway occasionally and don't worry about the calories but don't go OTT.

That's probably all there is to it, just eat more and you will gain weight. Good luck :smile:

Appreciate any response

6'1 and 62 christ almighty you gon need to get to work, high carb and chicken and sit around also fruit juices (or coconut water, gets all them good stuff in ya) are good keeps blood glucose high so body stores more glucose than burn it up.

also what the guy above me said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Very good question. I have the same problem. I have heard that this is because of high metabolism which is to do with genetics and this is why I find it difficult to gain weight. But as we grow older our metabolism slows and we will gain weight. But at the end of the day, i guess you cant not gain weight if you eat 4000-5000 calories a day. But I cant simply do that, its not impossible though.
Original post by arminb
I have the same problem. I have heard that this is because of high metabolism which is to do with genetics and this is why I find it difficult to gain weight.

This is wrong.

Original post by arminb
But I cant simply do that

Yes you can.

Quick Reply

Latest