The Student Room Group

Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like it could be an irrelevant detail. Why should you care about who he lives with? The only things you need to consider in a man are how much money he has, his looks and his height. Though it does sound like he's not particularly well off financially, so maybe you should find someone with deeper pockets.
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
How comes? Genuinely curious.

Actually it depends. If he is contributing to the household, and moved out for uni and moved back, yes I would consider dating him. If he has literally never moved on then there is not a chance. I believe at 26 you should have some experience of adult responsibility. And saying the housing market is 'retarded' isn't indicative of a balanced mature opinion.

Example here hypothetically - say this guy is paying NO rent (she said he's not). If he didn't go to uni, I would expect him to be working age 18-present. That's 8 years of work with no dent in income other than personal expense. That is plenty of time to get your **** together and earn enough to move out.
Reply 22
Wouldn't be worried about him living with his mum but I would be somewhat worried about him sponging off her.

If he's got an income then he could at least give some of it to his mum for the bills. He could give his mum something and still be quids in compared to paying rent to a private landlord. If he can sponge off his mum further then down the line he could sponge off you.
Original post by Mary562
What's wrong with that?

I know a teacher who still lives in his mum's house for thirty-two years now!

principal skinner!
Original post by AvaAdore
Actually it depends. If he is contributing to the household, and moved out for uni and moved back, yes I would consider dating him. If he has literally never moved on then there is not a chance. I believe at 26 you should have some experience of adult responsibility. And saying the housing market is 'retarded' isn't indicative of a balanced mature opinion.

Example here hypothetically - say this guy is paying NO rent (she said he's not). If he didn't go to uni, I would expect him to be working age 18-present. That's 8 years of work with no dent in income other than personal expense. That is plenty of time to get your **** together and earn enough to move out.

I shee, fair enough. I can see your point tbh.

What if the 26-yr old set-up a business, and was working from home, managed all the finances in his parents home and was paying for bills, but just not rent - which takes the most money?

I guess everyone's situation is different, some people have some mega setbacks, either due to family issues and/or past relationships. Some people may want to stay at home with their parents till they find themselves in a relationship and then later down the line...move out with them?

But yeah, in that specific scenario. If working full-time you can rack up a lot of money if you're not reckless.
Original post by Kathy127
I've recently been dating this guy. He's really charming and interesting and I quite like him but there's one thing about him that I'm not sure about. I'm 20 and he's 26 and he still lives in his mum's house.

When I asked him about it he said that he earns enough to rent a place of his own but he chooses not to. This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

He doesn't really come across as a mummy's boy but not really sure what to think? Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

He sounds like future me :innocent:

Is he saving up for a deposit or something? Think of it that way. If it ever did become serious he might have a lot of money saved up for stuff like that :yes:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've recently been dating this guy. He's really charming and interesting and I quite like him but there's one thing about him that I'm not sure about. I'm 20 and he's 26 and he still lives in his mum's house.

When I asked him about it he said that he earns enough to rent a place of his own but he chooses not to. This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

He doesn't really come across as a mummy's boy but not really sure what to think? Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

That's the opposite of unambitious. He's saving his money up and not wasting it on rent.
He seems smart to me.
Original post by LivngForSummer
He seems smart to me.

This.

I rented for 8 years.. what a waste of money
Living with parents at 26 wouldn't be a deal breaker for me on its own but it would really depend on the circumstances. I probably wouldn't go out with someone who is incapable of looking after himself and expects to stay with his parents forever but it wouldn't bother me so much if he was open to moving in with me someday and was willing to help clean the house and / or contribute financially.
Reply 30

There is nothing abnormal about it, in my opinion, and certainly does not mean the guy is not worthy of dating with or anything of the sort. Besides, you do say you find him charming and interesting as a person, right?
And to be honest, from his reasoning, it seems to me he does have a fair sensible point.
Sometimes it is a person's free personal choice, sometimes not. There could be various possible circumstances or factors, so it depends.
This is the current reality with the housing in this country, whether we like it or not... Can we do something about it? Well, that is another question in itself...
I am 32 myself, by the way, and still living at home with mum and stepfather.
Anyway, good luck to you both ! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's insane how many people are defending this and how common of an occurrence it is?
Soon as I turned 18 and I made enough money through some serious hours at 3 jobs that I got my own transport and my own place. It is the independence. The ease of not being judged by my mother for everything, basically a first step in my ambition of making it in life!

The whole excuse for the housing market just shows his lack of ambition. Get a rental property to build up a credit profile and then have enough ambition to earn enough money to buy your own property! I'm only 22 and I was in the process of shopping for a house, until I had a change of heart and decided to get education.

This guy sounds like a loser to me, settles for comfort over investing in his future. I bet he works in Tescos as a stacker and thinks his wage is something quite good.
Does the OP own her own home or rent her own place?

ur expectations are kind of ridiculous especially if u are in London.
Original post by driftawaay
What's wrong with people living with their parents at ANY age? I never understood this question. If he has a job and contributes to the bills then there is nothing wrong with him living with his mom. It's his family after all...I guess it's embarrassing to live with your family or to even like them these days.:colonhash:

Now if he was some loser who's never had a job and mommy is doing his laundry and cleans his room and pays for his cinema tickets then that would be embarrassing but that is obviously not the case.

He sounds like he has a legit reason to live at home as well, why would he rent his own place? Just to throw away money so he can seem 'cool' because he is 'independent'? LOL.

erm prejudice much?
Original post by Shellshocker93
It's insane how many people are defending this and how common of an occurrence it is?
Soon as I turned 18 and I made enough money through some serious hours at 3 jobs that I got my own transport and my own place. It is the independence. The ease of not being judged by my mother for everything, basically a first step in my ambition of making it in life!

The whole excuse for the housing market just shows his lack of ambition. Get a rental property to build up a credit profile and then have enough ambition to earn enough money to buy your own property! I'm only 22 and I was in the process of shopping for a house, until I had a change of heart and decided to get education.

This guy sounds like a loser to me, settles for comfort over investing in his future. I bet he works in Tescos as a stacker and thinks his wage is something quite good.

you don't invest on your future by wasting money lol.
As a man i tend to think that people should grow up and leaving the nest is part of that. It may not be economically rational (cheaper to live at home) but i can certainly see why a female would look down upon such a man as a prospective mate.
Original post by ChickenMadness
you don't invest on your future by wasting money lol.

I somehow doubt the person in question is saving all his "savings" from not renting and putting them away to make a wise investment. Perhaps using the money to get accommodation, building a Credit Profile through renting and bills, this is very important to be looked at as an adult in the real world where REAL money is involved.

It's beyond me how his parents allow it, surely they've worked for what they have and what the best for their child? Or perhaps they're on the benefits systems and essentially it's a growing sponge.
Only if he had the intention to move out at some point because I wouldn't feel at all comfortable moving into his mothers house with him. I also would not at all be okay if he just "switched mums" and I ended up being the caregiver with him moving in with me making 0 contribution, you move in with me you pay your way.
Original post by Shellshocker93
I somehow doubt the person in question is saving all his "savings" from not renting and putting them away to make a wise investment. Perhaps using the money to get accommodation, building a Credit Profile through renting and bills, this is very important to be looked at as an adult in the real world where REAL money is involved.

It's beyond me how his parents allow it, surely they've worked for what they have and what the best for their child? Or perhaps they're on the benefits systems and essentially it's a growing sponge.

my family group our money together so we don't have to waste money giving it away to banks via mortgages and renting etc.
Original post by karl pilkington
erm prejudice much?

I'm sorry you're a loser and don't like getting called out on it.

Quick Reply

Latest