Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
How do you know when your application has gone to a college
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
If you log into AES (applicant enquiry service) on the Durham website it tells you the status of your application within the university. It is very unreliable though - they don't necessarily update it promptly so people quite often get offers on UCAS when AES is still telling them that their application's at the department still. So don't get too worried about it!
Reply 542
Tallulah G
If you log into AES (applicant enquiry service) on the Durham website it tells you the status of your application within the university. It is very unreliable though - they don't necessarily update it promptly so people quite often get offers on UCAS when AES is still telling them that their application's at the department still. So don't get too worried about it!

I agree with this, I had had my written offer letter from graduate admissions for two weeks before the online system updated itself, and even then i had to ring up two or three times to ask for it to be updated so that i could get a place in the college accommodation. The couldn't put my name down for the accommodation until the knew i had an official offer and had accepted it, obviously they knew i had the offer because they had offered me a place in college but the system didn't say i had accepted.
pipsi
I agree with this, I had had my written offer letter from graduate admissions for two weeks before the online system updated itself, and even then i had to ring up two or three times to ask for it to be updated so that i could get a place in the college accommodation. The couldn't put my name down for the accommodation until the knew i had an official offer and had accepted it, obviously they knew i had the offer because they had offered me a place in college but the system didn't say i had accepted.

Yeah, it's not the best system....

By the way applicants: first year undergrads are automatically put in college accommodation so don't worry, pipsi's problem won't effect you in any way. Undergraduates don't have to do anything on AES, it's just there for information.
Reply 544
Tallulah G
Yeah, it's not the best system....

By the way applicants: first year undergrads are automatically put in college accommodation so don't worry, pipsi's problem won't effect you in any way. Undergraduates don't have to do anything on AES, it's just there for information.

oops, sorry i didn't make it very clear that my situation was specific to postgrads, thanks for clearing it up for undergrad applicants.
Cheers, just gotta get 3 As in maths physics and chem, so this is where I'll be going if Cambridge doesn't take a shine to me :biggrin:
Reply 546
DJkG.1
Basically my question is the title ^.

Once an application has been ‘received by a college’, in my case my chosen college was Castle for law, how long approximately would a reply usually take?

Some people have said that colleges are super-quick once the department forwards your application, but others say that I should expect to wait until March. (I just hate hearing that)!

I know there is a good chance Castle will say no and then the circle of other colleges begins… but an approximate guesstimated waiting period would help. :o: Even if it was just your experience…

Thanks.

It really does depend!! I got my offer just a couple of weeks after I applied in early November (Castle, Law as well) but on AES it didnt even say that my app had been transfered to a College! You need to keep in mind though that with Castle this year we had aprox 3800 application and 180 placed only (including Erasmus students) which means there are alot of applications to sift through so it might take more time than other colleges!! No wories you have probably gotten into one of the top law depts in the country anyway!
Reply 547
I am doing Law and my application has been sent to University college! :woo:

Any ideas about how long it takes for them to give offer, if they are going to do so?

Thanks.
Reply 548
Aula
:iiam:

:ms:

^^ Thanks for all the helpful replies. :yep:
DJkG.1
:ms:

^^ Thanks for all the helpful replies. :yep:

Did you get an offer?
Reply 550
heartlaw

Any ideas about how long it takes for them to give offer, if they are going to do so?

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat, but for hearing back for English Literature and Hild Bede. My friend applied for law in 2005 and he said Durham are notorious for waiting until February/Marchish time until they give offers for high-demand courses such as Economics, Enlglish, Law etc.

Good luck with University, I really wanted to apply there but thought it would be better to apply somewhere slightly less in demand and get in, rather than applying to Castle and getting pooled into Aidans or something..!
heartlaw

Thanks.

Yeah, you are probably going to get an offer. :smile: How soon you hear back depends on how quick the college are and whether they have space or need to pass you on to another though, so unfortunately I can't give you a great prediction.
On AES it says my Durham application has been sent to a college.

I understand this means the department accepted my application so while I'm likely to get an offer it's not certain, but how likely is it? Has anyone been rejected after the status changed to that on AES? And how long will it take from that point until an official UCAS offer or rejection?

Applying for Physics at Trevelyan College.

Thanks.
I think it means you're in. I'd be very surprised if a college could overrule a dept.
hypocriticaljap
I think it means you're in. I'd be very surprised if a college could overrule a dept.

If the department approves it but no college has space, then I get a rejection. I'm just wondering how often it happens, whether it's affected by the quality of my application, and when they're likely to get back to me.
I think with colleges it's mainly on a first come first served basis, so if trevs has room for someone doing physics then you're in- i doubt that none of the colleges would have space left this early on, so you're pretty much guaranteed an offer from somewhere i'd guess

Also, even though i'm not applying to physics or trevs, i'm incredibly jealous!
At this time of year, you're probably extremely likely to get an offer. So long as the department has made the offer within the number they're allowed to give, a place will be found for you at a college. If you read the description on the AES very carefully I think it says that occasionally a department makes a few too many offers, as the admissions systems are updated less often - but that probably only happens later on in the admissions cycle.

Well done anyway!
Game_boy
If the department approves it but no college has space, then I get a rejection. I'm just wondering how often it happens, whether it's affected by the quality of my application, and when they're likely to get back to me.

I was told by a departmental admissions tutor at Durham that if a college declines his recommendation he then refers back to them telling them to find room! Worst case scenario you might not get your college of choice.
Reply 558
After my application was sent to the college (St Mary's) I got a conditional offer less than a week after. I applied for International Relations ...
Reply 559
Game_boy

No you don't, you get pinged to another college that has space.
It's nigh-on certain you'll get an offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending