The Student Room Group

How many times did it take to pass your driving test??

Due to my nereves I have got my 4th test on wed and was just wondering how many times it took you guys to pass? It's cost me so much money so any tips would be good!

Scroll to see replies

Took me three, and i dont know about advice, i was so nervous on mine :frown: and got 8 minors on the one that i passed.
Like i said i dunno what i can say to help, but just relax, concentrate and keep thinking what you should do next :smile:, dont think about anything else but the test :biggrin:, im sure you will pass this time.
Reply 2
First time...

This really won't be a very acurate study tho and don't be put off by the amount of people who say first time. The reason there are a high proportion of poeple who pass their test first time is because alot of people on here are absolute car nuts, car enthusiasts, petrolheads, been round cars forever! So naturally will have a natural aptitude to driving and thus will pass their test quicker, due to confidence.

Graham
Reply 3
Once, thankfully. I told myself if I failed that I couldn't go through with it all again. Credit to those that try and try again.
One baby! found it really easy.
Some of my m8s found the Theory hard! How?

i realise the fact that some people don't find it as easy, im guessing because i am crazy about cars that inspired me to get it done quick (13 lessons :biggrin:)
Reply 5
2nd time pass :biggrin:

1st = 1 s - 6 minors
2nd - 2 minors :biggrin:

the 1st test i had a propa dk of a examiner, i kicked him out the car lmfao and he had to walk back the test centre haha, he was a sarcastic little fker.

it was only down the road but i phoned up my instructor and he sed wer i was, so i told him and he told me to kick the driving eximer out :d and my instrcutor had to walk to da car lol.
lol :biggrin:
Reply 7
It took me 4 attempts, that was in Chesterfield which supposedly has the 2nd lowest overall pass-rate in the country, some of the roundabouts really aren't very nice, and many people who have passed quicker elsewhere can't drive in Chesterfield so I think I'm a winner really.

As I said in another thread "My advice would be if they talk to you, then try and keep conversation flowing if you're comfortable doing that and driving. In the test I passed I talked to the woman a lot more and she gave me a minor for something which could have been 50/50 minor/serious, so maybe she empathised with me a little. Oh, and always favour caution over feeling you need to make progress, because in 4 test I never received a minor for hesitation, and at times I was fairly hesitant."
Reply 8
Passed 8th attempt.!!!!!!!!

Thought i'd never passed. Ended up having Hypnotherapy & Beta Blockers
Reply 9
2nd time, first time = silly nerves and a couple of mistakes
second time = easy even though i thought i had failed :p:
First time, at exactly 17 years and 3 months old.

Thought i'd never passed. Ended up having Hypnotherapy & Beta Blockers

What!? Haha sorry but that's hilarious.
I passed on my forth attempt. Go me.
Reply 12
Richy_Boi
First time, at exactly 17 years and 3 months old.

What!? Haha sorry but that's hilarious.

I'm sorry but it's not. I'm on beta blockers too. *neg rep* :rolleyes:
Reply 13
A driving test is a far more stressful situation than regular driving, however I would say it's a rather bad policy to take any medication solely for the purpose of taking a driving test. I'm sure there's something in the magazine I received when I passed about not driving even on prescribed drugs in many cases.
It's dangerous and irresponsible.

One woman passed out driving when she was on beta blockers.

Disgraceful that you're willing to take that risk because you're a poor driver.
Reply 15
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blockers#Anxiety_and_performance_enhancement

Apologies for using Wikipedia, but it will do.

If you scroll down to "adverse effects" section, you will see clearly that taking Beta Blockers before a driving test is irresponsible and potentially downright dangerous.

I do not believe promotion of this stupid practice should be allowed on a public forum nor by driving instructors.

If you don't like what you read on Wikipedia, perhaps you should scroll down to the bottom of this NHS advice:
http://www.nmhct.nhs.uk/Pharmacy/anx2.htm

Persuaded?
Reply 16
Umm..and where do you think people get them from? that would be also the NHS.
Reply 17
One test for the theory, one test for the practical test.
I passed second time, after failing first time for something pretty silly that apparently 'wasn't wrong or dangerous, you can do it in real life you just can't do it on the test...' Pfft! My advice would be to have a couple of squirts of rescue remedy and just believe in yourself. Forget what's happened in previous tests and concentrate on this one. Also on my first test I had a really grumpy woman who wouldn't talk but on my second I had this really chatty man. If you can get them chatting, it'll make you feel more comfortable at the very least. I remember my instructor telling me that if you look nervous and like you don't know what you're doing, the examiner is more likely to be on the edge of their seat paying close attention to what you're doing, whereas if you look confident they will be more at ease. So try and look confident, even if in reality you're a bag of nerves. Good luck!
Passed first time. During the lesson immediately before the test I mounted the kerb twice on a turn in the road, messed up a bay park and completely misjudged my parallel park.

When it came to the test my nerves vanished. Everything went smoothly and it was one of the most uneventful, peaceful drives I have ever had. Hows that for some luck!

Quick Reply

Latest