The Student Room Group

John Lewis Birmingham Selling Assistants

Hi everyone, I have tried my hardest to set up this post, but do not pretend to be good with technology at all!

I couldn't find a separate forum for JL Birmingham applicants so feel that it might be appropriate to make one on here as there's over 500 vacancies!
I had my group interview at 9:25am today, and feel that it was more or less a mixed bag! How did everyone else get on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I have my interview tomorrow 🙈

Care to share any advice? Thanks
I had mine today too not long after yours, at 9:55. I think it went good, I was in a group of lovely people and we worked together well. Definitely not as scary as I thought it was going to be, how about you? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by greenmath
I had mine today too not long after yours, at 9:55. I think it went good, I was in a group of lovely people and we worked together well. Definitely not as scary as I thought it was going to be, how about you? :smile:

Hey, could you provide some details to your interview please? Would appreciate a lot :smile:
Original post by Luckyx21
Hey, could you provide some details to your interview please? Would appreciate a lot :smile:

Of course!

We were all in groups of 4/5, with 4 groups in total. First was an introduction, you had 2 minutes to think about a time when you had received/given good customer service, your passion and what skills you have that could help you in the role. You have another 2 minutes to feedback to your group, with the assessor making notes, so make sure you get the important things in quickly before your times up

Next we had different scenarios (for example, the one my group had was a busy working dad with a budget wanting to buy a birthday gift for his 16 yr old son). They give you 2 sheets of items with some detail so your group has to discuss which product would be best, then you have to sell it your assessor who will act as the customer in the scenario (btw assessors switch around after every activity)

Then we had to draw a poster (stickmen) of 5 characteristics of the ideal John Lewis partner. You have around 10 minutes to do this and then all groups must do a short 2 min presentation in front of everyone else in the room of the characteristics you have come up with and why they're beneficial

P.S. in between each activity they gave you some more information about the job and the store etc. Good luck! I recommend talking to the people you will be sat with in the waiting lounge before the interview and then try sitting at the same table as them when you go in for the assessment because it'll make everything soo much easier :smile:
Reply 5
Hello, I have my interview tomorrow 🙈

Care to share any advice? Thanks

I'm so sorry I was dead asleep! How did it go?
Reply 6

Well it was ok, not bad, but I found it very difficult to make anymore contributions than anyone else? So don't really feel like I'll have stood out
Reply 7
Of course!

We were all in groups of 4/5, with 4 groups in total. First was an introduction, you had 2 minutes to think about a time when you had received/given good customer service, your passion and what skills you have that could help you in the role. You have another 2 minutes to feedback to your group, with the assessor making notes, so make sure you get the important things in quickly before your times up

Next we had different scenarios (for example, the one my group had was a busy working dad with a budget wanting to buy a birthday gift for his 16 yr old son). They give you 2 sheets of items with some detail so your group has to discuss which product would be best, then you have to sell it your assessor who will act as the customer in the scenario (btw assessors switch around after every activity)

Then we had to draw a poster (stickmen) of 5 characteristics of the ideal John Lewis partner. You have around 10 minutes to do this and then all groups must do a short 2 min presentation in front of everyone else in the room of the characteristics you have come up with and why they're beneficial

P.S. in between each activity they gave you some more information about the job and the store etc. Good luck! I recommend talking to the people you will be sat with in the waiting lounge before the interview and then try sitting at the same table as them when you go in for the assessment because it'll make everything soo much easier :smile:

Thank you soo much for the info! Really helped me today :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Leeonaevam
I'm so sorry I was dead asleep! How did it go?

Hey, no problem :smile: wasn't too bad only 15 people turned up in total, got to know each other before the assessment which ended up being a fun day :smile:
Well it was ok, not bad, but I found it very difficult to make anymore contributions than anyone else? So don't really feel like I'll have stood out

I see what you mean, we should be hearing back within 3 weeks so hopefully it'd be good news :smile:
Thank you soo much for the info! Really helped me today :smile:

You're welcome! I hope it went well :smile:
Anyone else heard back yet? I just got an email to say I have been unsuccessful ow :frown: better luck next time!
Reply 12
I have not heard back yet, what did the email say?
Reply 13
Did you get put in a talent pool? That happens a lot. (Have worked for waitrose)
Woah you've been given a reply already? I've not recieved it yet but looks like i will soon 😓
I have not heard back yet, what did the email say?

"Thank you for taking the time to come and meet our assessment team for the role of Selling Assistant - Various Departments.
We have now had an opportunity to carefully review the assessment results and, following this, we’re sorry to tell you that we will not be taking your application further on this occasion. Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we received, we are unable to provide individual feedback. We’re sorry for the disappointment this news may cause and thank you for your interest in applying for this position.We would welcome any future applications for roles advertised in the John Lewis Partnership and wish you every success in your job search."
Reply 16
Woah you've been given a reply already? I've not recieved it yet but looks like i will soon 😓

I think my reply might be sooner as my interview was before greenmath!

Yeah I was suprised to hear back so quickly, thought they would atleast waited a week before breaking the bad news :frown:
Did you get put in a talent pool? That happens a lot. (Have worked for waitrose)

Since your interview was before mine its likely that you will have probably been successful! Good luck :smile:
Thats ridiculous, they haven't even finished all the assessment days yet 😐

Quick Reply

Latest