The Student Room Group

Software to spot extremism among pupils

Schools are being offered new software that helps teachers spy on pupils' potentially extremist online activity.It alerts teachers if pupils use specific terrorism-related terms or phrases or visit extremist websites on school computers, laptops or tablets.Teachers are encouraged to look for a pattern of behaviour rather than raise the alarm after a single warning.Since February, the Counter Terrorism and Security Act has required schools to prevent pupils becoming radicalised.But the National Union of Teachers has expressed fears this could lead to debate on contentious issues being shut down.It also said some teachers feared they could be prosecuted if they dealt with a situation in the wrong way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32996327

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would question the effectiveness, as all the kids need to do is to use their own computers, and how much would it cost.
Who is going to go to school and google 'How to make a bomb' ?
The proposals are risible, to ask teachers to spy on pupils is something that would be expected from the Gestapo not from employees in the British education system. Nicky Morgan and chums really are lost

'Software provided by the Quilliam Foundation' :facepalm: that excerpt right there should instantly reveal what a farce the proposals are, the name Quilliam holds water in honour of the man they claim to draw inspiration from, but this "think tank" is funded by the government and pushed forward by the government in a means to give "legitimacy" to their claims.. Who controls the information provided to teachers such as the list of words/behaviours, it seems the government would do so on their own whim, not an independent organisation who has conducted extensive research into the causes of extremism, foreign policy, and all the related fields.

There are so many things wrong with this.
Apart from changing its foreign policy, which unfortunately just isn't going to happen, give us your five alternative things the government should do to solve this problem of the young being drawn towards radical Islam and terrorism.
Reply 5
At last! So many extremists in my classes...
Original post by LittleBoxes
Who is going to go to school and google 'How to make a bomb' ?

You'd be surprised

I'm sure there was a case in the Midlands about a student watching terrorist material in school (he was expelled and the funny part was his family tried to argue as they were good muslims they didn't allow him a TV or computer at home so he had to watch them somewhere)
Original post by caravaggio2
Apart from changing its foreign policy, which unfortunately just isn't going to happen,

Nor should it

Foreign policy is about what's good for this country not what is good for muslims
Original post by Wee.Guy
I would question the effectiveness, as all the kids need to do is to use their own computers, and how much would it cost.

Could this not still be traced back to them via their IP address?
Original post by TurboCretin

IP addresses are ridiculously easy to spoof, as are MAC addresses and pretty much every other identifier.
this will probably make these silly g.hardy websites even more popular
Original post by Mactotaur
IP addresses are ridiculously easy to spoof, as are MAC addresses and pretty much every other identifier.

I wasn't saying it couldn't be got around, I was simply asking whether it was possible. I doubt most school children have any firm idea of what an IP address is, much less think of spoofing them. I mean, we are talking here about kids who Google about extremism at school thinking they won't get caught.
In the USA thee are rolling back state security because monitoring citizens is not compatible with their values.

In the UK, we are looking to ramp it up. Says a lot.
Original post by Quantex
In the USA thee are rolling back state security because monitoring citizens is not compatible with their values.

In the UK, we are looking to ramp it up. Says a lot.

We have had the issues with islam and the muslim community for longer and it's more intrenched

Sadly because it wasn't stopped earlier we now have to be a little more totalitarian in our methods
I wasn't saying it couldn't be got around, I was simply asking whether it was possible. I doubt most school children have any firm idea of what an IP address is, much less think of spoofing them. I mean, we are talking here about kids who Google about extremism at school thinking they won't get caught.

Excuse me, I wouldn't want my teachers having software to know and trace back what I do at home.

That's what would make me extremist. That's how Oklahoma happened.
Original post by SotonianOne
Excuse me, I wouldn't want my teachers having software to know and trace back what I do at home.

That's what would make me extremist. That's how Oklahoma happened.

How would they trace what you do at home? I'm talking about in school, on the school's wifi.

Anyway, I'm not talking about the merits of the proposal, I'm just talking about its feasibility.
How would they trace what you do at home? I'm talking about in school, on the school's wifi.

Anyway, I'm not talking about the merits of the proposal, I'm just talking about its feasibility.

You said you thought that the software could trace the kids at home

I just took a look at my internet history and one could suggest that I'm a psychopath
Original post by PopaPork
We have had the issues with islam and the muslim community for longer and it's more intrenched

Sadly because it wasn't stopped earlier we now have to be a little more totalitarian in our methods

If you want to radicalise kids, a totalitarian approach is a good way to do it.
Original post by Quantex
If you want to radicalise kids, a totalitarian approach is a good way to do it.

Because North Korea, Cuba, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam are widely known for their domestic terrorism.

Whereas liberal countries like Somalia, France, Australi.. oh wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending