The Student Room Group

What is my best route/path? Any general advice?

So, I've just sat my fifth year Higher exams, and in all honesty I do not think I did very well. I'm not just claiming that I haven't done well in a bid for attention, I genuinely did struggle and will most likely need to go back in and correct mistake where I need to.

I want to do nursing, and in order to get into University I will need to go to college first to correct mistakes. Would I be best to go to college and get higher biology and another two highers to add to my sixth year subjects I'm about to sit and to correct my fifth year mistakes, or to do HNC Health and Social care?

Will you be looked down upon if you are entering based on a HNC over highers? And will this hinder my chances of getting into better unis are leave me with options from universities that don't have a highly regarded nursing course? Help me, I'm officially stressed out.
Original post by KaelMac
So, I've just sat my fifth year Higher exams, and in all honesty I do not think I did very well. I'm not just claiming that I haven't done well in a bid for attention, I genuinely did struggle and will most likely need to go back in and correct mistake where I need to.

I want to do nursing, and in order to get into University I will need to go to college first to correct mistakes. Would I be best to go to college and get higher biology and another two highers to add to my sixth year subjects I'm about to sit and to correct my fifth year mistakes, or to do HNC Health and Social care?

Will you be looked down upon if you are entering based on a HNC over highers? And will this hinder my chances of getting into better unis are leave me with options from universities that don't have a highly regarded nursing course? Help me, I'm officially stressed out.

Hi,

I presume you're talking about Scottish qualifications here which I know nothing about I'm afraid.

However, the comment about nursing courses and how highly regarded places are: this doesn't matter. Nursing courses are regulated by the NMC so that all nurses joining the register should have covered the same content. When applying for jobs no one cares about university prestige, what matters to employers when employing NQ nurses is that the applicant has their pin or will when they start, that they have a genuine interest in the clinical environment they're applying for and sound like they'll be able to do the job in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable amount of support.

Have a look at courses and their entry requirements, work on building up work experience to strengthen your application. If you have to go back and re do some of your highers then you'll have even more time to work on more work experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KaelMac

I ve done a HND in health and social care and have an offer for nursing in september, they certainly did not look down on me at interview if anything i think they were happy that i d studied above level 3 and could say i d studied many relevant modules to nursing as well as having done 200 hours experience as part of my course. i could honestly say then i knew i could cope with academic essays and had grades to prove it :smile:

My ps after having done my hnc was massively better than my one i did at the start of A2, i got 4 interviews second time round compared to 1 in 2013.

Are higher exams equivalent to AS (the scottish system confuses me)? If so you ve still plenty of time to improve on your grades.
I got 180 ucas points at A2(a B in business and Es in biology and chemistry) and was left with the choice of do a HND/HNC or resist, i choose the HNC as i wanted to do something more relevant to nursing rather than spending a year struggling with exams again (turns out i had undiagnosed dyslexia:P). And i m so incredibly glad i made that decision as i love studying in a uni environment compared to hating my sixth form and feel like i ve gained a lot from my decision:smile:

Your welcome to Pm if you d like to know more about HNC's :smile: Hope this helps a bit:smile:
meant to say even manchester which is guess is "prestigious" accepts HNCs is you get a distinction but as moonkatt says prestige means nothing in nursing:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest