The Student Room Group

BTEC IT Grades (Level 3 Subsidary Diploma) Help??

Hello :smile:.

The UK versifiers who make sure that work is correct have come to my college and completed there work. My teacher has told me that I have achieved an overall D grade for my BTEC IT (Level 3 Subsidary Diploma, 6 Units), I wanted to ask could I have gotten higher? like a D*? I have calculated my grade and it adds up to 140 UCAS points if im correct? Can someone please help me out with this in order for me to be assured. Im new to BTEC, and just finished my first year, and still awaiting my BTEC Applied Science (Level 3 Subsidary Diploma, 6 Units) results.
Reply 1
Original post by Deeboss
Hello :smile:.

The UK versifiers who make sure that work is correct have come to my college and completed there work. My teacher has told me that I have achieved an overall D grade for my BTEC IT (Level 3 Subsidary Diploma, 6 Units), I wanted to ask could I have gotten higher? like a D*? I have calculated my grade and it adds up to 140 UCAS points if im correct? Can someone please help me out with this in order for me to be assured. Im new to BTEC, and just finished my first year, and still awaiting my BTEC Applied Science (Level 3 Subsidary Diploma, 6 Units) results.

You can't get a D* in first year. I assume you're doing the extended in year two? In which case, make sure you get mostly D's, 3 M's maximum for tripple D*. Though you'll be fine with DDD but it's best to aim higher.
You can get a D* in Year 1 if you get over 520 BTEC points (see attached document)
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Information-Technology/2010/Specification/Nationals-IT-supplementary-credit-and-grading-notes.pdf

Basically for a Level 3 Sub Dip, if you are doing 6 units at 10 credits each you will get 70 points for each unit that is a Pass, 80 for a Merit and 90 for a Distinction.
Therefore if you get 6 Distinctions; 6x90 =540, which is a D*
5 D and 1 Pass also gets you 520 and D*
4D and 2 Pass gets you an overall D.
Reply 3
D* = 140 UCAS points
D = 120 UCAS points

To achieve a D* you need to get 5 Distinctions and 1 Merit minimum (530 BTEC points)
Reply 4
Original post by Zuki
You can't get a D* in first year. I assume you're doing the extended in year two? In which case, make sure you get mostly D's, 3 M's maximum for tripple D*. Though you'll be fine with DDD but it's best to aim higher.

Yeah, Il be doing thee National Diploma? Im not sure if thats other words for extended? If it is why are there three grades in extended? does it count the grade from Year 12 like how i got my D in my subsidiary diploma IT?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by yt7777
D* = 140 UCAS points
D = 120 UCAS points

To achieve a D* you need to get 5 Distinctions and 1 Merit minimum (530 BTEC points)

I guess my IT teacher wasn't so specific, he just stated I got an Distinction, he didn't tell me what individual grades I got on each of the 6 Units I did in BTEC IT. I'll just have to wait for the Grades/Certificate Sheet from edexcel whenever it comes out.
Reply 6
Original post by bamtutor
You can get a D* in Year 1 if you get over 520 BTEC points (see attached document)
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Information-Technology/2010/Specification/Nationals-IT-supplementary-credit-and-grading-notes.pdf

Basically for a Level 3 Sub Dip, if you are doing 6 units at 10 credits each you will get 70 points for each unit that is a Pass, 80 for a Merit and 90 for a Distinction.
Therefore if you get 6 Distinctions; 6x90 =540, which is a D*
5 D and 1 Pass also gets you 520 and D*
4D and 2 Pass gets you an overall D.

Thanks. Do you know when we get the grades sheet? Results? for BTEC
Original post by Deeboss
Thanks. Do you know when we get the grades sheet? Results? for BTEC

It varies by centre. If you have finished your tutor should have given you a (pink) students copy of the Student record form which shows all the unit grades. If they do it electronically they can also print it out to give you. My current centres posts out the BTEC certificates as soon as they come in and that can take three or four weeks. My last centre used to issue them to students on A level results day (which is the 13th august this year)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending