The Student Room Group

Community College Associate Degree

I am a UK citizen, but am planning on moving to San Diego with my boyfriend next year. He is American and was born and raised in San Diego.

I started studying a degree in Psychology and Counselling studies with the Open University, but then moved to China for work, at which point they informed me my course isn't available in China, which is the main reason for us leaving. I don't want to have to give up my studies as I want a career in counselling, so I am hoping to study Psychology in the States. However, I'm not made of money! My boyfriend suggested studying an associate degree at a community college for 2 years and then transferring to another uni, whether it be in the US or UK.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or has anyone been to community college in the US?
The academic level of students at a US community college is not that high. You should have no problem transferring to a 4-year school in the US. If you have good grades and scores from high school, you might be able to get into somewhere decent in the University of California system. It would be difficult to transfer to a top school. In the US, you will need a Masters to practice as a psychotherapist, so it is a ways to go. However, it is perfectly doable in the US starting at a community college.

UK programs are tightly structured and generally 3 years rather than 4 years in the US. I would expect you could get at most credit for 1 year with a 2 year associates degree, but I don't really know anything about that.
Reply 2
Original post by mathplustutornj
The academic level of students at a US community college is not that high. You should have no problem transferring to a 4-year school in the US. If you have good grades and scores from high school, you might be able to get into somewhere decent in the University of California system. It would be difficult to transfer to a top school. In the US, you will need a Masters to practice as a psychotherapist, so it is a ways to go. However, it is perfectly doable in the US starting at a community college.

UK programs are tightly structured and generally 3 years rather than 4 years in the US. I would expect you could get at most credit for 1 year with a 2 year associates degree, but I don't really know anything about that.

Thanks! Yeah I figured it would be maybe more difficult to transfer to a UK university. I probably will stay in the US, just keeping my options open. I'm just trying to continue my studies without having to pay a fortune that I don't have! I guess college is only for the rich!
You can practice as a therapist in the US with a master in social work and maybe with a master in psychology. These programs are not particularly hard to get into once you get an undergraduate degree. You might be able to charge more with the PhD.
You can practice in most or all states with an MSW, Masters of Social Work. You can charge more with a PhD in Psychology. You can charge even more with an MD as a Psychiatrist. The PhD in Psychology requires more academic ability than an MSW in general, but isn't that hard. It also requires more time. You can generally get your tuition paid and a small stipend as a teaching assistant or research assistant while studying for the degree.
Reply 5
What mathplus said in the beginning about the academic level of community college students is not true. At all. There are students of all academic levels at community colleges. I went to one before transferring to a UC. I did fairly well in high school but could not afford a university right away. It's a good place to go to get your general requirements done for less tuition. As another example, one of my high school classmates who is one of the brightest in the group, also went to a community college. He then transferred to Cornell (!) After he graduated he went on to NYU for law.

However, like other people have already said, you can't pursue your career with an AA. If you do go to a community college and then transfer, just remember, you don't need an AA to transfer. You just need to complete the IGETC (transfer requirements) for your major. The requirements for an AA are going to be slightly different from the transfer requirements.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending