The Student Room Group

FIFA Bribery Scandal - Should Qatar have its 2022 World Cup revoked?

Should FIFA have its world cup revoked? The whole process is shambolic; no country as small as Qatar has ever hosted the world cup, and no country with a weaker link to the sport of football has ever hosted the cup

The vote was blatantly fixed; the Qataris probably don't see anything wrong with that, it's just how you do business in that part of the world. I hope it does get taken away from them

Also, what do you think of Jack Warner's claims that there are threats against his life and he will reveal an "avalanche of secrets", and that FIFA corruption has some link to the last national election in Trinidad? Very interesting

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/04/fifa-crisis-jack-warner-says-he-fears-for-life-and-will-reveal-avalanche-of-secrets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No they won fair and square.

You're just jealous it's not being held in England.
Original post by futbol
No they won fair and square.

You're just jealous it's not being held in England.

Err, no, England didn't lose out to Qatar; they lost out to Russia in 2018. It was Australia, the US, Japan and South Korea that lost out to Qatar.

And did they **** win it fair and square. They've had to move it to winter for a start because they couldn't keep to the dates they included in their bid.
Reply 3
Original post by Wilfred Little
Err, no, England didn't lose out to Qatar; they lost out to Russia in 2018. It was Australia, the US, Japan and South Korea that lost out to Qatar.

And did they **** win it fair and square. They've had to move it to winter for a start because they couldn't keep to the dates they included in their bid.

What have you got against Qatar? Is it their anti-gay policies? That says a about you...
Original post by futbol
What have you got against Qatar? Is it their anti-gay policies? That says a about you...

And what is that supposed to mean :rolleyes:

The fact that:

- They couldn't stick to hosting a summer World Cup when that is what they bid for
- The slave labour
- That Europe's leagues will be disrupted for years to accommodate this World Cup
- A country with just two existing stadiums won the World Cup bid

It's wrong on every level and a blatant bribe to get it there. It is not because I'm English.
Reply 5
Original post by futbol

Wow, tetchy much? The real question is why are you so defensive?

And why did your mind go straight to the gay stuff? So predictable. Btw, do you support their anti-gay laws?
It's wrong on every level and a blatant bribe to get it there. It is not because I'm English.

And I'm not English, so obviously not that
Reply 6
a blatant bribe

I'd love to see the hard evidence you have to support that serious allegation.
Reply 7
Original post by ExcitedPup
Wow, tetchy much? The real question is why are you so defensive?

And why did your mind go straight to the gay stuff? So predictable. Btw, do you support their anti-gay laws?

And I'm not English, so obviously not that

Defensive? I'm defending those poor Arabs. They're so victimised and picked on by the West while just trying to provide for their family. Some of them have only got two wives.
Original post by futbol
I'd love to see the hard evidence you have to support that serious allegation.

You may as well just admit that you don't know what you're talking about. It came out yesterday that South Africa was won with bribery and there are questions over France '98.

Mr Blazer says: "Beginning in or around 2004 and continuing through 2011, I and others on the Fifa executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/32998735?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

If you think the most obvious one ever was won fair and square then you are very naive.

Don't worry, it'll come out.
Yes.

Other than the awkward situation it places on European Leauges and the fact that it will be held in winter Quatar uses Slavery to build the stadiums. Not to mention it's anti-gay laws...

... what about gay football fans at the world cup, they can't have sex!
Reply 10
You may as well just admit that you don't know what you're talking about. It came out yesterday that South Africa was won with bribery and there are questions over France '98.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/32998735?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

If you think the most obvious one ever was won fair and square then you are very naive.

Don't worry, it'll come out.

I know sarcasm is hard to read but I'm surprised with the amount of media coverage this is getting that you thought anyone could be saying that stuff with sincerity,
Original post by futbol
I know sarcasm is hard to read but I'm surprised with the amount of media coverage this is getting that you thought anyone could be saying that stuff with sincerity,

I have legitimately seen people on here (and on football forums) arguing that it was won fair and square before.
Yes, remove it from them. And Russia.
Reply 13
Original post by The Mighty Mitch
Yes.

Other than the awkward situation it places on European Leauges and the fact that it will be held in winter Quatar uses Slavery to build the stadiums. Not to mention it's anti-gay laws...

... what about gay football fans at the world cup, they can't have sex!

Not sure if srs but I actually think that's not unreasonable; straight football fans get to screw their brains out when they go to the world cup, why not gay fans too?
Reply 14
Of course. It needs to be looked at. They won under the guise of a summer world cup initially, anyway, so it's a complete shambles that the tournament has been allowed to move to the winter months and disrupt footballing competitions around the world. That, on top of the number of migrants workers death, the staunch anti-gay right legislation, and the soaring temperatures all make it a farcical choice for host.
The bid was for a summer world cup, they can't deliver that. That makes the initial bid void and it's obvious they did not have objectively the best claim if the FIFA officials did not foresee 50 degree temperatures as a problem. It's obviously corrupt, as well as costing thousands of lives.

I see people on Facebook claim this is all part of a UK/US conspiracy to undermine the Arabs as planned by our Zionist overlords. It's embarrassing.
Reply 16
Original post by futbol

Original post by futbol
Defensive? I'm defending those poor Arabs. They're so victimised and picked on by the West while just trying to provide for their family. Some of them have only got two wives.

You're ridiculous.

The allegations about bribery in both 2018 and 2022 are overwhelming, especially in light of the recent scandal. More confusing is why a nation with no footballing background, no historical presence in any world cups, and a country with arguably one of the worst international football teams on the planet is hosting the world cup. On top of all of that, they picked a part of the world which is incredibly inhospitable with temperatures of up to 50 degrees - how do you expect even the most professional atheletes to compete in this weather?
Give it to Australia, or an American country with appropriate infrastructure in place, whether that's north or south America.

Completely ridiculous that it should ever be in Qatar, regardless of bribery.
Yes they should.
It should go to a country that can and deserves to hold it i.e France, England, or belgium and Netherlands

Posted from TSR Mobile
As much as I despise the circumstances of Qatar 2022, what have all those workers died for if we suddenly decide to move the event elsewhere? They are the real victims here, and their work will literally count for nothing if Qatar's right to host the World Cup is revoked. People should never be pawns to their corrupt governments.

So whilst I am disgusted by the blatant corruption shown by both FIFA and Qatar, I think it would be a greater injustice to move the event in the consideration of how many people have already died in the preparation for this event which is still 7 years away! The deaths and severe injuries need to stop immediately, and this is an issue FIFA needs to address now if it wants to restore any credibility or reputation. Even the UN should be looking into this I'd say; too many people have died already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending