The Student Room Group

Any chance my uni choices will be lenient?

I have a conditional offer for Cass Business School and Royal Holloway for management but I still need a A and C Maths Gcse (respectively) to get in, however...

My exam has just gone terrible so I don't think I will achieve those grades (thick as sh*t when it comes to maths).

Any chance they will let me in if I beg?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrgrant141291
I have a conditional offer for Cass Business School and Royal Holloway for management but I still need a A and C Maths Gcse (respectively) to get in, however...

My exam has just gone terrible so I don't think I will achieve those grades (thick as sh*t when it comes to maths).

Can you not retake?

While generally universities are likely to show some flexibility around grades if they can - on GCSE English and Maths C or above they tend to be very rigid.

They know that even with a degree if you don't have a C in GCSE English and Maths you'll struggle to find employment - accepting you onto a degree without that basic level of achievement would be setting you up for failure later on.

Even if you miss a C and do get in I would strongly recommend retaking while you study your degree - it's an essential requirement for so many jobs that without it you'll be at a significant disadvantage.

As PQ says, plus...

There is no point in begging to overturn rejections on results day - if that happens to you. The unis will have received your results the weekend prior. If you missed your offer they would have looked at your application and made the decision to say no. Even if they have spaces (ie are in clearing) it only means that they decided to look for other candidates rather than take you.
Original post by ageshallnot
As PQ says, plus...

There is no point in begging to overturn rejections on results day - if that happens to you. The unis will have received your results the weekend prior. If you missed your offer they would have looked at your application and made the decision to say no. Even if they have spaces (ie are in clearing) it only means that they decided to look for other candidates rather than take you.

Although worth pointing out - for GCSEs this doesn't apply. Applicants have to supply GCSE results to universities themselves - there's no early preview available.

And this all happens a week after A level results and a week into Clearing so other options are usually very limited.

If anyone is reading this and wanting to apply for uni in the future - please PLEASE don't take your GCSE resits in your A2 year. Get your GCSE grades in the bag before you even apply - applying with them pending puts you at a severe disadvantage if you slip a grade.

For Cass without an A, you would undoubtedly struggle.
Original post by gr8wizard10
For Cass without an A, you would undoubtedly struggle.

How about RH?
How about RH?

idk about RH courses
idk about RH courses

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, what make Cass exceptional?
Original post by Avocado2002
Can you not retake?

I'm a mature student, so not this year (unless you know of somewhere I could)...
Fair enough. Out of curiosity, what make Cass exceptional?

well reputed business school, amongst the top in the country. in the field of finance its also what's known as a semi-target
well reputed business school, amongst the top in the country. in the field of finance its also what's known as a semi-target

Oh that makes me even more gutted lol, what is a semi-target?
Oh that makes me even more gutted lol, what is a semi-target?

it's a term they use in the finance industry for who investment banks target. A list of unis who banks recruit from mostly
it's a term they use in the finance industry for who investment banks target. A list of unis who banks recruit from mostly

Ah nice! Are you studying at Cass? (Or studied there before?
Ah nice! Are you studying at Cass? (Or studied there before?

i study there currently. well on a summer internship right now, just finished first year.
i study there currently. well on a summer internship right now, just finished first year.

What do you study?
What do you study?

investment & financial risk management
investment & financial risk management

Sounds good! Would you recommend Cass?
Sounds good! Would you recommend Cass?

yes, if you're definitely interested in the business world.
yes, if you're definitely interested in the business world.

Definitely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending