The Student Room Group

English Language exam GCSE AQA FULL SUMMARY

English Language
SECTION A
Q1. Objectives(a) retrieve the important information and ideas in an article(b) support the important information and ideas(c) interpret it by ‘reading in between the lines’ and showing you understand the article and work out something between(8 marks, 10 minutes)

work through the text in a chronological order

follow PSI: point, support, interpret

Vocabulary: Suggest, indicate, insinuate, allude, hints, impliese.g.P. One of the things we learn about the RNLI is that they are committed toS. ‘educating children who live away from the coast’.I. This suggests that they recognise that children in these areas are more likely to be unaware of the dangers of the seaside’ than perhaps those that live closer to the coast. It also implies that the RNLI see themselves playing a vital role in the lives of the younger generation.
Q2. Objectives(a) comment on the effect of the words used in the headline(b) select actual words and phrases from the text and explain how they link with the headline(c) comment on the effect of the details used in the picture(e) select actual words and phrases from the text and explain how they link with the picture(8 marks, 10 minutes)-

four points explaining the effect of the headline and how it links to words and phrases in the text

four points explaining the effect of the picture and how it links to words and phrases in the text

follow ET: effect (PEEZ), text

e.g. E. The use of the emotive phrase ‘Trapped Chilean miners’ at the start of the headline would make the reader feel concerned and sympathetic about the plight of the miners.This is because the adjective ‘trapped’ has connotations of vulnerability and helplessness. T. Indeed, in the article, these miners are described as being in ‘an underground chamber where they have been stranded since August.’ which further emphasises their helplessness.E. One thing the picture depicts is a man in a clown suit holding a Chilean flag. Clowns are often associated with fun and laughter or a celebration of sorts which seems to imply that perhaps things are going well. This idea is supported by a relative of one of the trapped miners saying of the situation ‘Only now can we begin to smile’. The suggestion here being that the plight of the workers has brought a great deal of sadness which has only been alleviated by their impeding rescue.
Q3. Objectives (a) identify and convey the thoughts and feelings of a character (including what is happening, what the character is saying or what the character is doing). (b) interpret the thoughts and feelings of the character by ‘reading in between in lines’ and showing the examiner your understanding of the text(8 marks, 10 minutes)

work through the text in a chronological order

avoid commenting on the use of language or the effect on the reader

start response with overview

follow PI: point, interpretation (imbed examples into point)

e.g.P. In the extract, Canessa and Parrado go through a variety of thoughts and feelings as they undertake their perilous journey. To start with, Parrado appears to feel excited about the journey as he is spurred on by his curiosity’ to see what’s ahead.I. This suggests that he is not quite sure what to expect however, he is eager to find out. P. Canessa, on the other hand, insisted that he ‘could not go on’ when Parrado tried to encourage him to keep going I. which implies that he (Canessa) feels fed up with it all.
Q4. Objectives(a) look at similarities and differences between the language in two texts by selecting words, phrases or language features deliberately chosen to create an effect(16 marks, 20 minutes)

focus only on the use of language

the purpose or audience should not be of the focus of your response, they only help determine the language

select examples of language that enables you to analyse the effects on the reader effectively

follow SPEDPE: similarity, point, effect, difference, point, effect… can be used in alternating orders

Language features:

Repetition - draws attention to and emphasises an idea/word/[phrase/theme/concept. It highlights its importance.

Personification - when an inanimate object is given human qualities to perhaps make the reader feel inquisitive or bring something to life.

Imperative - a command or instruction which forces the reader to take action. It can be persuasive and in some instances can be used for the effect of making the reader feel guilty.

Metaphor - compares on thing to another, almost literally to create a strong image in the readers mind.

Rhetorical question - a question that does not require an answer; used to make the reader think about the possible answer and involves them in the text.

Simile - compares on thing to another with the comparatives ‘like’ or ‘as’ to create an imaginative thought of what is being described.

Pun - the use of word play when words are organised in an amusing way to suggest another meaning. This as the effect of making the situation humorous to the reader whilst showing the intended purpose.

Figure of speech - an expression that should not be taken seriously and is used to convey a secondary or derived meaning which is understood by the reader.

Hyperbole - an extreme exaggeration to provide emphasis to the point or statement that is being conveyed through the use of humour or dramatic effect.

Imagery - descriptive words that allow the reader to ‘paint an image in their mind’ so they can imagine what is being described.

Symbolism - when an object is used to describe something important, adding multiple layers of meaning and making an idea more universal to engage the readers’ interest. It also has the effect of making something more relatable.

Alliteration - when a series of words begin with the same letter for a dramatic effect.

Irony - when words are used to imply an opposite meaning, or sarcastic language than can be used to mock. It is a means of expressing an attitude which is disguised by what will seem to be obvious. It may be either humorous, dramatic or tragic.

Lists - a number or reasons to help build up a point and resonate with the readers.

Mood - changers the readers mood.

e.g.P. In source 3, the writer uses the metaphor ‘Panic entered the hears of both of them’ to describe the predicament of the characters.E. This could make the reader feel concerned about what lies in store for these characters. The use of the noun ‘panic’ is particularly effective at making the reader feel alarmed for their welfare as it has connotations of danger, vulnerability and even death.S. Similarly, the writer of source 2 has created the effect of making the reader feel concerned about the welfare of (in this case) the miners P. by used the emotive phrase ‘trapped Chilean miners’ to describe their plight. The adjective ‘trapped’ also has connotations of vulnerability and loss of hope E. which serves to make the reader somewhat anxious for their welfare.
SECTION B Include:Direct address, alliteration, fact, opinion, rhetorical question, emotive language, statistics (reasonable), rule of three
Q5. Objectives(a) describe or explain in the form of e.g. a blog/speech/magazine article/letter(16 marks, 20 minutes)

use linguistic devices e.g. irony, rhetorical question, hyperbole, irony, satire

ambitious vocabulary, complex grammar and punctuation

range of paragraph lengths, dialogue, structures

write appropriately in a formal way (standard english)

follow PICLES for a range of sentence starters: preposition, ing word, connective, ly word, ed word, subordinate conjunction

e.gDear Lea,You must be sick of hearing me chatter on about my sister’s baby daughter, Katie (I think I babble more than my niece does!). Nonetheless, I’m convinced that if you meet her you’ll be just as enamoured of her as I am, and I’d like a fellow devotee in the cult of Katie! It will also provide an idea opportunity for you to see for yourself whether or not she’s got the family nose (I fear she has, poor mite). I’ve got to take some of Mum’s old baby paraphernalia over there on Saturday, so I wondered if you’d like to come with me. What do you think?
Q6. Objectives(a) write to argue or persuade(24 marks, 30 minutes)

follow AFOREST: alliteration/ assertion/ anecdote, facts and figures, opinions, rhetorical questions/ repetition, exaggeration/emotive language, superlatives, triple

e.g.Of course you could argue that the lives of boy band members and WAGs have no place in the public consciousness. You could even argue that the media has an ethical duty not to give these people status that they don’t deserve and inevitably can’t handle. But that is no reason to become stuck up or snobbish about people whose only claim to fame is being famous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending