The Student Room Group

AQA Further pure 1/FP1 exam 5th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crayolaguy
i got k=38

What was the inequality you got with k in it?
Original post by KirstyG_psbkj
What was the inequality you got with k in it?

1/3(k+1)(k+2)(2(k+1)+3) < 44000
Original post by joef1337
My answers' other than show that questions:

1) a) a+b = -3, ab = 7/2
b) 4x^2 + 45 = 0
c) a^2 = 1 + 3/2 sqrt(5) i, b^2 = 1 - 3/2 sqrt(5) i
2) a) Undefined at one limit of integration
b) Does not have a finite value
3) a) 2-11i
b) i) q=20 (z^3-11z+20=0)
ii) z^2- 4z + 5
iii) z = -4
4) a) x = {-5 + 120n, 35 + 120n}
b) 235
5) a) c=4, d=-1
b) i) -16I
ii) enlargement scale factor 2, rotation 45 degrees clockwise
iii) Fromleft to right, top to bottom: [[65536sqrt(2), 65536sqrt(2)], [-65536sqrt(2), 65536sqrt(2)]]
6) a) Hyperbola crossing (3,0) and (-3,0)
b) y = 4/3 x + 4, y = -4/3 x -4
7) a) 39.60
b) n(n+1)(2n+3)
c) i) 2/3 r
ii) k = 39
8) a) y = 1
b) (1, -1/2) and (-3, 3/2)

Not sure if they're right, feel free to make corrections.

Edit: what happened to my indentation?

Well I am bored . For question 1b I got it wrong . But you meant to give what value for alpha square not alpha . I know you just put the values for a b and c into the calculato.
Reply 23
How were you supposed to answer the last part of question 1? I couldn't figure out how to find a^2 or b^2 and I'm curious about how it works!:smile:
It was just ****ing awful.
Original post by TheKian
My 1c was what you got but squared
3a was 2+11i
How did you do 3)b)ii)?
for 5b)iii) I got 256sqrt(2), did I need to square 256?

How did you even get K?

Could you do an unofficial mark scheme thread because most of these look good

Yeah I think I wrote 2+11i in the exam but made a typo when I wrote up my answers.

3)b)ii) You have that z = 2 + i and z = 2 - i. Sum of roots is 4, product of roots is 5. So z^2 - 4z + 5, and polynomial divide that by the original (a C1 thing) to get z+4 as a factor.

For k, it was sum(r = k+1 to 60 of (3r+1)log_8(4^r))), the log part was 2r/3 so that is the same as 1/3 sum(r = k+1 to 60 of 2r(3r+1)) which is the sum unexpanded in the previous part. With a bit of rearranging you get the same as the equation in the first part of the question. It is given that the largest integer that satisfies it is 39.

Yeah I'll make an unofficial mark scheme but I have no idea how many marks each question was worth.
Any thoughts on the grade boundaries?
Reply 28
Original post by crayolaguy
1/3(k+1)(k+2)(2(k+1)+3) < 44000

The final equation after substitution was the same as the original equation given in the start of the equation where you substituted 39 and 40 and saw a change in sign... The only difference was that instead of an "a" you had a "k" and because the inequality was less than zero the correct value was 39...
Original post by Sofia.T.
The final equation after substitution was the same as the original equation given in the start of the equation where you substituted 39 and 40 and saw a change in sign... The only difference was that instead of an "a" you had a "k" and because the inequality was less than zero the correct value was 39...

Wow didn't notice that at all!!! Great spot!!! Was wondering why it was so few marks :P
Guys can anyone show me how u did the matrices in 5)a. The one where we had to work out c and d
Reply 31
Original post by Stepidermis
Wow didn't notice that at all!!! Great spot!!! Was wondering why it was so few marks :P

Hahah well don't worry if that's all you did wrong then you did great... :smile: I stared at the question for 5 minutes and then just looked at the question again and spotted it... :smile: all we can do now is wait... :wink:
Hahah well don't worry if that's all you did wrong then you did great... :smile: I stared at the question for 5 minutes and then just looked at the question again and spotted it... :smile: all we can do now is wait... :wink:

I did find k=39 by trial and error after finding the cubic so hopefully that's an accepted method :smile:
Reply 33
Yes hopefully.... I did a stupid thing on question one the last part though... ;( I found the equation and wrote it down, then found the roots on the calculator and forgot to right them! ;( it was only 2 marks but still that is very stupid of me... ;(
Reply 34
Original post by Flyhigh221
Guys can anyone show me how u did the matrices in 5)a. The one where we had to work out c and d

You premultiply the original coordinates by A and let that equal to the transformed coordinates
Expand (?) the matrix and you get two simple equations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Stepidermis
I did find k=39 by trial and error after finding the cubic so hopefully that's an accepted method :smile:

Yes hopefully.... I did a stupid thing on question one the last part though... ;( I found the equation and wrote it down, then found the roots on the calculator and forgot to right them! ;( it was only 2 marks but still that is very stupid of me... ;(
Original post by C0balt
You premultiply the original coordinates by A and let that equal to the transformed coordinates
Expand (?) the matrix and you get two simple equations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i tried to do that but we has to multiply out a 1 by 2 matrice withva 2by2 matrice to equal 1by2 matrices rite? Or did i use the wrong method
Reply 37
Original post by Flyhigh221
Yes i tried to do that but we has to multiply out a 1 by 2 matrice withva 2by2 matrice to equal 1by2 matrices rite? Or did i use the wrong method

yeah but 2x2 should be before 1x2 like
Ax(coordinates)=(coordinates)
Original post by C0balt
yeah but 2x2 should be before 1x2 like
Ax(coordinates)=(coordinates)

Oh, that suks. Thanx for the help anyways.
Reply 39

What were the root(s) you got?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending