The Student Room Group

Changing a pi answer into a fraction answer without a calculator

How do you change a pi(3.14)answer into a fraction answer without a using calculator. A question came up on my exam this morning
Reply 1
I did the same question. its complicated, but uhh i think you get pi on both the top and the bottom of the fraction. this allows you to cancel them out and left with just numbers to simplify.
simply, remember that pi in radians = 180 degrees.
therefore pi/4 in radians is 180/4 = 45 degrees
and pi/6 in radians is 180/6 = 30 degrees
You don't. π\displaystyle \pi is an irrational number. There are some approximations like 227\displaystyle \frac{22}{7} and some more accurate ones but again they are only approximations to π\displaystyle \pi . I'm guessing the question asked for something else so you will need to be more clear if you want an explanation. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by alexlopez4
simply, remember that pi in radians = 180 degrees.
therefore pi/4 in radians is 180/4 = 45 degrees
and pi/6 in radians is 180/6 = 30 degrees

They asked for a fraction, not degrees
Reply 5
Original post by RonnieRJ
They asked for a fraction, not degrees

Do you remember exactly what the question was? The OP hasn't explained very clearly what's actually required :smile:
I think we might need to see the full question here to be able to help properly.
Well, I haven't a clue what the question is, but if you want to convert pi/3 into a fraction of a whole circle, simply consider (pi/3)/2pi = 1/6.

Similar techniques are useful for area and arc length calculations.
Reply 8
the question was very long and detailed, very wordy. it would be hard for me to recall...

Quick Reply

Latest