The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Computing Science 2015/16 - Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/ComputingScienceEQPAH.pdf in question 1 e) it asks you to write in a programming language you are familiar with but in the marking scheme its done in pseudo code. I'm just wondering if its done like that on purpose cause it would be unreasonable for them to try and cover the solution in multiple programming languages or if it means you can write the answer like that.
The question asks you to write in the programming language you are familiar with but the answer is in pseudo code. I can see why that may be as it would be impossible to cover every answer done in various programming languages but I'm just wondering if thats not the case and you can use pseudo in your answer
Reply 42
Original post by TuckFrump
The question asks you to write in the programming language you are familiar with but the answer is in pseudo code. I can see why that may be as it would be impossible to cover every answer done in various programming languages but I'm just wondering if thats not the case and you can use pseudo in your answer

We went through this question in class and my teacher said she actually contacted the person at SQA in charge of writing papers. Teachers had been advised that we could always use pseudocode for these questions and so when this appeared in the Exemplar/Specimen Paper, my teacher was understandably confused.

Anyway, after a few phone calls, they apparently admitted that they were in the wrong and that we would always be able to answer in pseudocode. Be wary though - it is the SQA after all...

Hope this helps! :smile:
Alright, Thanks!
I need 4/60 for a C. And to be perfectly honest.... I highly doubt I'm capable of much more lol

This subject has been the definition of my worse nightmare.
Original post by Higherdude
I need 4/60 for a C. And to be perfectly honest.... I highly doubt I'm capable of much more lol

This subject has been the definition of my worse nightmare.

Same haha. I just feel like I'm trying to remember the answers from the marking scheme know rather than actually knowing the course content. Probably a bad thing considering I'm going to uni to do computing science.
Original post by TheBlackBruceLee
Same haha. I just feel like I'm trying to remember the answers from the marking scheme know rather than actually knowing the course content. Probably a bad thing considering I'm going to uni to do computing science.

I am doing Maths and Physics, so I won't have to do this subject again. Look at the question paper brief....
I don't need to tell you which one I'm going to learn about...
"Computational constructs: databases, SQL - 13-17 marks"
Never knew the sql part covered that much. Probably good for me considering I did a database driven website for my project.
Reply 48
So how's everyone feeling for Friday? :smile:

What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses?
Original post by ROC10

Strengths I'd say are the more web based questions

Weaknesses are probably the pseudocode and code explanation questions

what about you
Reply 50
Strengths I'd say are the more web based questions

Weaknesses are probably the pseudocode and code explanation questions

what about you

Pretty similar.

Strengths:
- Computational Constructs
- Data Types & Structures

Weaknesses:
- Standard Algorithms
- Programming Paradigms

Then there's the more theory-based stuff like Implications and Project Planning & Management which should hopefully be okay.
We are allowed to use pseudocode in this question right? I know this may have already been answered but I just want to make sure.
Reply 52
We are allowed to use pseudocode in this question right? I know this may have already been answered but I just want to make sure.

I believe so.

This particular question asks for a programming language but, as far as I'm aware, they can't ask us that in the exam.
Thanks. Just another quick question. In the answer, why is it bsNumber-1?
Reply 54
Thanks. Just another quick question. In the answer, why is it bsNumber-1?

I'm not really sure to be perfectly honest. My guess would be because arrays begin at 0 so the first bus stop in the file is actually 0, second is actually 1 and so on.

Might be completely wrong though...
Yeah you're right. Thanks!
Original post by ROC10

What isn't my weakness? Lol
Soo........ how did everybody find that?
If you asked me to envision the worst paper ever, that would be it. Like literally, we spent time on theory and 90% of that paper was programming knowledge. There goes my A.
Hope everyone else struggled...
Reply 59
Original post by fl0ppyd1sk
If you asked me to envision the worst paper ever, that would be it. Like literally, we spent time on theory and 90% of that paper was programming knowledge. There goes my A.
Hope everyone else struggled...

Why were you expecting more theory than programming? :s-smilie:

I thought it wasn't too bad. There were a couple of hard questions (binary search). I also couldn't do the one after the binary search as my teacher admits we weren't taught it. Also my teacher thinks there was a mistake in the paper with one of the questions (I think it was the "myTeam.introduceTeam" one); however, she did say that we couldn't have asked for a better paper so I think I'm okay.

And it was my last exam so I'm pretty happy. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending