The Student Room Group

How important are medical admissions tests (BMAT and UKCAT)?

I'm applying for 2016 entry and of course all unis have either BMAT or UKCAT in their entry requirements. However, if you do not achieve a certain number of points do you get automatically rejected?
One more question, I've looked at books online and they all have a year. Is the year important because the exam has a different format or something from year to year? Would I be fine buying a 2007 or 2010 edition?
Thank you so much!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by camillaswift
I'm applying for 2016 entry and of course all unis have either BMAT or UKCAT in their entry requirements. However, if you do not achieve a certain number of points do you get automatically rejected?

I think the majority of medical schools take a more holistic approach to your entrance test scores - I've seen some unis say they have a rule that applicants have to achieve a minimum score on the UKCAT (this is normally relatively low - so unless you do awfully you should be fine) but "proper" cut-offs aren't used by many unis and you can find out which ones easily.

One more questions, I've looked at books online and they all have a year. Is the year important because the exam has a different format or something from year to year? Would I be fine buying a 2007 or 2010 edition?
Thank you so much!!

I'd always recommend buying the latest edition because there have been changes in the UKCAT question formats so you'd be better off with a later edition just so you're at least familiar with the newer-style questions before the test.
Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=camillaswift;56606297]I'm applying for 2016 entry and of course all unis have either BMAT or UKCAT in their entry requirements. However, if you do not achieve a certain number of points do you get automatically rejected?

Massively important for some unis, e.g. Some have high UKCAT/BMAT cut offs they use to select who they interview. Those that come to mind are durham, manchester, newcastle and imperial for the bmat

Not much importance to other unis: e.g.some only use ukcat as a discriminator between two similar candidates e.g. Cardiff and keele. Brighton and Leeds don't have BMAT cut offs. Lancaster has taken up bmat for 2016 so I'm not sure how they'll use it

Not important at all - bristol and birmingham and liverpool don't even use an admission test

When buying books get the most up to date one. 2010 is old. Also note that the bmat has a spec list for the science section so use that to inform what you revise

Each uni varies so look the individual ones up
Reply 4

it depends where you want to apply really but they are pretty important as a general rule.
They aren't that important, medicine is 99% luck anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending