Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Folding@Home Team

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can use more than 1 PC yeah, just input the team and your ID onto each one.
    A P4 2.8 should get though a fair few WU's; all of mine are coming from a lowly AMD64 3000+ which happens to be on 24/7 downstairs anyway.
    I wouldn't run it on a laptop though, it generates more heat that standard operation and may damage/break the laptop.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like what? :-p

I think i might have to find some renewable energy sources and fire up the old servers...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long is average for a work unit? How can I configure the software to make good use of all 4 cores?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    FAHmon doesnt seem to like that setup... how can I configure it to monitor the progress of each core?

Also, how can I configure my PC to monitor my friend's PC over the internet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ? has the idea been abandoned? I've asked a couple of questions which I'd like to know the answers to pleeaseeee...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fahmon isn't monitoring all 4 cores which are running from the command line... maybe I should delete everything and start afresh with some new instructions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, when do we get the next update? Could I also ask how long it takes other to crunch a full unit...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That depends on the unit and your computer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, Fahmon doesn't detect them or allow me to add the files (it asks for text files?). This is on windows XP pro

Also, I meant how long does it take others to crunch a WU regardless of how powerful the machine is or what OS you're running...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might have to start utilising both cores soon (though not constantly)...just got it using one 24/7 atm

I could always overwrite the University lab screensavers, but it might lead back to me if they're configured for 'kam' :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are ways around of course (especially if you're doing a networking course and know how to get into your admins machine).

It would be a bit silly messing around with anything though...I'll just get a few virtual machines running for a day and see how well they operate (on my friends account) :p:

EDIT: It's for a good cause. May as well use up the idle CPU time somehow! I'll give you rep (tomorrow) for reviving the team
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's your user ID, Jaffaholic? I'm presuminy you're ghost101... what kind of machines do you have folding, and how long do you leave them on?

I can't leave all of my PCs on because I'm paying for electricity :-(
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed I got any this week; the server was rebuilding its RAID5 for 3 days :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which version of VMware? I don;t think I'd be able to with VMware player...

How did you manage to get the Ubuntu to run with a full gui (if thats what you did)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and what kind of a server is it, PieMaster?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    Oh, and what kind of a server is it, PieMaster?
    Just a glorified XP MCE box (3000+ AMD64, 1Gb) connected a TV downstairs with 8 HDD's RAID5'd up so people can get stuff off it.
    One of my housemates thinks Maxtors are gods gift to computing, so it was offline for 3 days while it rebuilt onto a Western Digital. Its nearly full now too (only 1Tb) so its moving into the outhouse in the summer and having 2-3Tb of new disks put in it, and a SFF PC is appearing for the TV.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    Which version of VMware? I don;t think I'd be able to with VMware player...

How did you manage to get the Ubuntu to run with a full gui (if thats what you did)?
    Vmware server is needed for dual core support. Its free to download and you register to get a free serial.

Ubuntu runs just as it would natively and looks exactly the same. The only problems is that there is slowdown when anything demands graphics (which doesnt matter for f@home). Remember to have lots of RAM (2GB+) and remember that youll need an ISO image of ubuntu 6.10 64 bit. Then you simply create a local host give it a resonable amount of hard disk space and 512megs of RAM.

To install f@home console clients on linux is also complicated. If you get that far ill post how to do it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Joined big man!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    You're trying to guess the structure of a hugely complicated protein at random.
    Given that this project allegedly has scientists at the helm they should know that such an endeavour would be futile. I can only conclude that despite appearances that isn't what the program is doing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the VMware licence... the maximum number of points for a work unit that I can find is 472.
Updated: May 29, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.