Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Folding@Home Team

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can use more than 1 PC yeah, just input the team and your ID onto each one.
    A P4 2.8 should get though a fair few WU's; all of mine are coming from a lowly AMD64 3000+ which happens to be on 24/7 downstairs anyway.
    I wouldn't run it on a laptop though, it generates more heat that standard operation and may damage/break the laptop.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like what? :-p

I think i might have to find some renewable energy sources and fire up the old servers...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long is average for a work unit? How can I configure the software to make good use of all 4 cores?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    FAHmon doesnt seem to like that setup... how can I configure it to monitor the progress of each core?

Also, how can I configure my PC to monitor my friend's PC over the internet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ? has the idea been abandoned? I've asked a couple of questions which I'd like to know the answers to pleeaseeee...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fahmon isn't monitoring all 4 cores which are running from the command line... maybe I should delete everything and start afresh with some new instructions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, when do we get the next update? Could I also ask how long it takes other to crunch a full unit...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That depends on the unit and your computer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, Fahmon doesn't detect them or allow me to add the files (it asks for text files?). This is on windows XP pro

Also, I meant how long does it take others to crunch a WU regardless of how powerful the machine is or what OS you're running...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might have to start utilising both cores soon (though not constantly)...just got it using one 24/7 atm

I could always overwrite the University lab screensavers, but it might lead back to me if they're configured for 'kam' :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are ways around of course (especially if you're doing a networking course and know how to get into your admins machine).

It would be a bit silly messing around with anything though...I'll just get a few virtual machines running for a day and see how well they operate (on my friends account) :p:

EDIT: It's for a good cause. May as well use up the idle CPU time somehow! I'll give you rep (tomorrow) for reviving the team
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's your user ID, Jaffaholic? I'm presuminy you're ghost101... what kind of machines do you have folding, and how long do you leave them on?

I can't leave all of my PCs on because I'm paying for electricity :-(
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed I got any this week; the server was rebuilding its RAID5 for 3 days :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which version of VMware? I don;t think I'd be able to with VMware player...

How did you manage to get the Ubuntu to run with a full gui (if thats what you did)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and what kind of a server is it, PieMaster?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    Oh, and what kind of a server is it, PieMaster?
    Just a glorified XP MCE box (3000+ AMD64, 1Gb) connected a TV downstairs with 8 HDD's RAID5'd up so people can get stuff off it.
    One of my housemates thinks Maxtors are gods gift to computing, so it was offline for 3 days while it rebuilt onto a Western Digital. Its nearly full now too (only 1Tb) so its moving into the outhouse in the summer and having 2-3Tb of new disks put in it, and a SFF PC is appearing for the TV.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    Which version of VMware? I don;t think I'd be able to with VMware player...

How did you manage to get the Ubuntu to run with a full gui (if thats what you did)?
    Vmware server is needed for dual core support. Its free to download and you register to get a free serial.

Ubuntu runs just as it would natively and looks exactly the same. The only problems is that there is slowdown when anything demands graphics (which doesnt matter for f@home). Remember to have lots of RAM (2GB+) and remember that youll need an ISO image of ubuntu 6.10 64 bit. Then you simply create a local host give it a resonable amount of hard disk space and 512megs of RAM.

To install f@home console clients on linux is also complicated. If you get that far ill post how to do it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Joined big man!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    You're trying to guess the structure of a hugely complicated protein at random.
    Given that this project allegedly has scientists at the helm they should know that such an endeavour would be futile. I can only conclude that despite appearances that isn't what the program is doing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the VMware licence... the maximum number of points for a work unit that I can find is 472.
Updated: May 29, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.