The Student Room Group

Art and design foundation diploma, when do I apply to uni?

I really want to do graphic design at university, and I have heard that it is better to do a foundation diploma first in order to build up a portfolio because I don't currently have anything that would be nearly strong enough. This is because I only do product design, sociology. english lit and maths currently, and I didn't take art GCSE and don't have any sketchbooks etc etc.

I am currently in year 12, and if i took the normal no foundation route, I would be set to go to uni in september of 2016. But if I do the foundation, I would have to start that in september 2016, but wouldn't I also have to start applying to unis around that time as well? If this is the case, it means I still won't have a portfolio to take to uni interviews in order to get a place (because I would have only just started the foundation), so does this mean I'd have to finish my foundation year and start applying to universities in the next academic year (september 2017) which would result in me starting university in september 2018?

I really would hate to do this because it would mean me being 2 whole years late for university and finishing when I am 23.

right?
Reply 1
You'll start the foundation course in 2016, it's intense and you'll have 4 months of work to apply to unis with. (Starting in September, applying before mid January at the latest.)That's how it works. Explain to the tutors that's you obviously don't have Alevel or GCSE art stuff to supplement it with, and they'll help you create extra pieces etc. don't worry, you'll be doing the equivalent of a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by BPreston
You'll start the foundation course in 2016, it's intense and you'll have 4 months of work to apply to unis with. (Starting in September, applying before mid January at the latest.)That's how it works. Explain to the tutors that's you obviously don't have Alevel or GCSE art stuff to supplement it with, and they'll help you create extra pieces etc. don't worry, you'll be doing the equivalent of a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!! It makes sense now

Quick Reply

Latest