The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying for a Uni that's 5000 world rating?

there is a uni that was open from 2009 which is new
with low world rating 5000
does it worth studying there?
and does this mean that I will hardly find a work when I graduate from it?
what uni is it?
Reply 2
Original post by katieMCR
what uni is it?

Its a uni in germany , actually the only uni there that teach in english language for bachelor degree , the pros in germany is that tuition fees are very low about £300 annually only

it is called Hochschule Rhein-Waal
That's like last on the uni rankings lol, don't bother
The university is far too new for there to be any meaningful employment data from it anyway - going there would be something of a risk.

There are a number of good English-speaking universities in other European countries with similarly low / free tuition fees. The most prominent of these is Maastricht in the Netherlands.

Do be aware that if you study in Europe, you won't be eligible for any UK student finance. This means that you will be reliant on the student finance that your new country provides to EU students. It can vary, but if you were an EU student coming to the UK, you wouldn't get any money towards your living expenses.
Reply 5
There are more universities in Germany teaching in English.
Bachelor is usually either or and master and PhDs are English only.

Source: I am German and my friend is doing her PhD in Munich in English.

The reasoning behind it is that the government wants Germany's professionals to be able to stay competitive in a globalised environment
Original post by go2thezoo
there is a uni that was open from 2009 which is new
with low world rating 5000
does it worth studying there?
and does this mean that I will hardly find a work when I graduate from it?

Try and look into WHY it's so low in the rankings - it might just be that there is insufficient data available for it to be properly ranked so it gets automatically put at the bottom or something...

Mind you, I'd still seriously think about the possible issues with such a new uni - the course may not be well trialed (you may be the first to be doing that particular course, or it may have been changed a lot since the previous year for example), they probably don't have loads of money (older unis tend to get money from donations from alumnae) so may not be able to employ the very best lecturers or have the best facilities, etc.

That being said, there could be some advantages - e.g. being part of a smaller class may give you more individual attention, they might have very new and modern facilities, there might be options to be more flexible with your degree if they are still figuring out the course structure/ content, they may be doing a lot of things to particularly attract students (e.g. organising work experience placements, scholarships, etc. - these will probably be well promoted on their website).

Basically, make sure you have a VERY thorough look into the university, preferably go and visit it too, before you make your decision to go there. It could be very risky, but it may also give you a particularly good education or offer you unique opportunities.

As others have said though, there are also several other english-teaching universities in the EU which might be safer/ better options - don't just pick the one with lowest fees or the first one you come across...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending