The Student Room Group

OCR G482 Physics A EWP Unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teachercol
All OCR do is to say that - yes this is our course. They don't even look at the content.

Then surely that's their downfall, endorsing a book that is inaccurate or does not cater to OCR'S full AS Physics course?
There has never been one past paper (at least, the ones I've done, so basically all but 2014's) where one has had to assume microwaves from an emitter are polarised.

(Please don't think I'm arguing with you, I love your unofficial mark schemes, I'm just wondering if anything can be done :smile: )
LOl. Maybe - but to be fair I ask my students how they think they did. Obviously they are better taught than the average ... :u:

Hahahahah very good very good :biggrin:

I just don't think it was 7 marks easier on average than last year, but definitely easier. Also, I screwed up about 5-8 marks from forgetting basic knowledge, so I expect about 76-80 to be full UMS. I think an A will be about 62, maybe 63 at a stretch :smile:
Original post by joe12345marc
Got anywhere from 67/100 to 77/100 :/ No chance of full UMS for me :frown:

Should be doing better than that Joe! :bl:
Original post by phoenixsilver
I have also read parts of the CGP AS Physics (OCR A) book and the Collins Physics general book in order to ensure I do well, but then they decide to throw in a question about a fan which literally took them a huge paragraph to explain properly. Since when did a heater have two elements powered differently or three different switches, plus that awful supposedly polarised wave...

Do you think it's worth writing a letter to Ofqual and OCR with my points, and possibly even my local MP? If the OCR endorsed books haven't taught you the syllabus, surely it is solely their responsibility if they haven't taught you that microwave emitters are polarised?

The fan wasn't too bad, thankfully my teacher mentioned the symbol for a motor before hand. The two heater system idea was fine, it's like a normal generic heater. But the questions on it weren't the nicest

The polarised wave was an annoying question. They're trying to make the exams harder, which they are but it shouldn't disadvantage people from getting the grades they want or need. I'm not saying everyone should get A grades but if you put enough time and effort into a subject you should expect a good grade. They can't put in questions not in the specification. It isn't fair. I think this year they were on the edge of the specification.

If you feel that you should contact OCR, then do so. I think it'd be interesting to see what their reply will be.
Reply 44
Endorsing is just a publisher's con trick. Lots of books are 'endorsed. You'd think the best book would be the one written by the chief examiner but I don't particularly like it. And of course, he isn't allowed to say he is the Chief examiner!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Physics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/0340958081/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_y
Original post by Engineer Bod
yes, that is certainly proof.

either
you can show that power < 2.0W
or
you can show that pd across bulb < 6V

it's all linked.

(Brightness proportional to power which is proportional to V^2)

That's really reassuring thank you ^_^
Reply 46
I'd expect that when the official mark scheme comes out, credit will be given to those students who said that if the microwaves aren't polarized the intensity at the receiver wont change.

To be honest, I don't know if every microwave transmitter produces polarized waves. Microwave ovens?
any predictions for full UMS? :smile:
Original post by GeorgeLikesCake
The fan wasn't too bad, thankfully my teacher mentioned the symbol for a motor before hand. The two heater system idea was fine, it's like a normal generic heater. But the questions on it weren't the nicest

The polarised wave was an annoying question. They're trying to make the exams harder, which they are but it shouldn't disadvantage people from getting the grades they want or need. I'm not saying everyone should get A grades but if you put enough time and effort into a subject you should expect a good grade. They can't put in questions not in the specification. It isn't fair. I think this year they were on the edge of the specification.

If you feel that you should contact OCR, then do so. I think it'd be interesting to see what their reply will be.

Absolutely agreed, I have no problem with questions that are perhaps a little more difficult in calculation, for example that 0.8D proof.
However, it is completely wrong to force candidates to make assumptions in an exam question based on guesswork as the subject hasn't been covered in the OCR endorsed books, especially when candidates are under time pressure and have no time to think such things through.
If OCR wants people to think as opposed to learn by rote, why don't they give more time? OCR is messing with peoples' futures and it is wrong.
I'd expect that when the official mark scheme comes out, credit will be given to those students who said that if the microwaves aren't polarized the intensity at the receiver wont change.

To be honest, I don't know if every microwave transmitter produces polarized waves. Microwave ovens?

I'm not sure about ovens. Perhaps that's how the microwaves have the special grille to block the microwaves from escaping?

Quick question, unless I am counting it wrong how does question 4 add up to 12?
Original post by phoenixsilver
I have also read parts of the CGP AS Physics (OCR A) book and the Collins Physics general book in order to ensure I do well, but then they decide to throw in a question about a fan which literally took them a huge paragraph to explain properly. Since when did a heater have two elements powered differently or three different switches, plus that awful supposedly polarised wave...

Do you think it's worth writing a letter to Ofqual and OCR with my points, and possibly even my local MP? If the OCR endorsed books haven't taught you the syllabus, surely it is solely their responsibility if they haven't taught you that microwave emitters are polarised?

if you feel strongly about it, then you should do it. Nothing to loose, but time.

(My experience of writing to AQA on the subject of errors on Physics GCSE, is that you'll get a very defensive letter back and that will be that.)

The arrangement of the switches on the fan heater is actually how most are in real life. But whether it is fair to include very verbose questions in such an exam (took my daughter 30 mins to figure that one out) is another matter.

The question on the microwaves also appeared poorly written that my daughter also had trouble figuring it out and eventually wrote:

' if they are polarised, then then signal will go to zero '

To be fair there are some examples of this question in past papers and I recall in one text-book it showed some diagram for this experiment. I don't recall, however, whether it mentioned anywhere that they are always polarised.
Reply 52
Original post by Super199
Quick question, unless I am counting it wrong how does question 4 add up to 12?

It doesn't - it should be 17.
[QUOTE="teachercol;56623571"]Endorsing is just a publisher's con trick. Lots of books are 'endorsed. You'd think the best book would be the one written by the chief examiner but I don't particularly like it. And of course, he isn't allowed to say he is the Chief examiner!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Physics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/0340958081/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_y[/QUOTE]

My daughter got that book at the last minute. It's an extremely condensed account of the syllabus. Perhaps it contains all the crucial information, but don't think it would have helped in yesterday's exam - not if you're aiming for high grades. Useful to have for revision, perhaps.
It doesn't - it should be 17.

I think question 2 was the one supposed to be 12 :tongue:
**** me got like 75/76 will skim the 100 UMS if the boundaries are like last year.
Say I worked out wavelength to be 0.3m instead of 0.03m , but halve my value in the latter question ( distance you move speaker back) to get 0.15m instead of 0.015m , would I get the marks on that q?
Reply 57
[QUOTE="Bod;56624315" Engineer="Engineer"]
Endorsing is just a publisher's con trick. Lots of books are 'endorsed. You'd think the best book would be the one written by the chief examiner but I don't particularly like it. And of course, he isn't allowed to say he is the Chief examiner!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Physics-Student-Unit-Guide/dp/0340958081/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_y[/QUOTE]

My daughter got that book at the last minute. It's an extremely condensed account of the syllabus. Perhaps it contains all the crucial information, but don't think it would have helped in yesterday's exam - not if you're aiming for high grades. Useful to have for revision, perhaps.

The last two years have seen a real shift in the style of these papers. There used to be lots of routine questions that everybody could have a go at and one or two harder parts. Last year and this year have seen really challenging AS papers that test understanding with questions different from anything seen before. I don't have a real issue with this - except that working through past papers gives a misleading impression of what the paper will be like. Students gets used to being able to do most of it and can get really thrown and panic in an exam where they cant. Low grade boundaries around 60% for an A are taking us back to how life was in the 80s. (I started teaching a level Physics in 1979 so ) I've seen it all before.
Reply 58
Original post by MrChemKid
Say I worked out wavelength to be 0.3m instead of 0.03m , but halve my value in the latter question ( distance you move speaker back) to get 0.15m instead of 0.015m , would I get the marks on that q?

Yes - ecf would be normal
Original post by Engineer Bod
if you feel strongly about it, then you should do it. Nothing to loose, but time.

(My experience of writing to AQA on the subject of errors on Physics GCSE, is that you'll get a very defensive letter back and that will be that.)

The arrangement of the switches on the fan heater is actually how most are in real life. But whether it is fair to include very verbose questions in such an exam (took my daughter 30 mins to figure that one out) is another matter.

The question on the microwaves also appeared poorly written that my daughter also had trouble figuring it out and eventually wrote:

' if they are polarised, then then signal will go to zero '

To be fair there are some examples of this question in past papers and I recall in one text-book it showed some diagram for this experiment. I don't recall, however, whether it mentioned anywhere that they are always polarised.

There are indeed plenty of questions which involve microwave diffraction, it's just the supposed polarisation that bothers me.

By the way, if you've previously complained and they were defensive, you can actually complain to Ofqual, the government's regulatory board on qualifications. If you google ofqual, their website comes up and you can contact them because it is their responsibility to moderate the exam boards. They can't change your grade but they can ensure the boards follow the rules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending