The Student Room Group

My GP doesn't want to send me for an X-ray

I need an X-ray on my knee and I need it pronto but my GP thinks that paracetamol will fix me up. The guy is super old and okay I don't want to be racist but he's foreign and it's difficult to make him understand what I mean or what I want done.

Back in January I had a chest infection but he failed to pick it up and he told me it's just the weather I was coughing so hard that I couldn't concentrate at uni until my mum drove me to A&E and diagnosed me and they gave me a course of Amoxcillin which fixed me right up.

Should I report GP?
Get a second opinion. Different GPs have a different way of dealing with things.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Get a second opinion. Different GPs have a different way of dealing with things.

Yeah but today I could only see him and the weekend is upon us so they're closed means gotta wait next week. Which means I was stuck with him. I feel like the nurse might know more than this guy. If I get old please shoot me.
ask for a second opinion or if you ve got a local walk in clinic try there. Did they say what exactly they thought was wrong with your knee? if its tendinitis or something like that then an xray wont be much help
(edited 8 years ago)
Why do you need an X ray?
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
this ^. ask for a second opinion or if you ve got a local walk in clinic try there. Did they say what exactly they thought was wrong with your knee? if its tendinitis or something like that then an xray wont be much help

I had an ACL reconstruction a 9 months ago and my knee has been super painful recently feels like I tore something it doesn't feel right.
Reply 6
Have you asked him why he won't refer you?
Original post by Daenerys...
I had an ACL reconstruction a 9 months ago and my knee has been super painful recently feels like I tore something it doesn't feel right.

ask for a second opinion on monday would be your best bet unless the pain gets too much and nothing will touch it then go see wherever your nearest out of hours clinic is.
Reply 8
Original post by A5ko
Have you asked him why he won't refer you?

He's saying it's normal but it's been a year since I had the surgery and the pain is recent like 2 weeks and I feel like all my physio progress is regressing because I'm a afraid to put too much weight on my knee. Feels unstable.
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
ask for a second opinion on monday would be your best bet unless the pain gets too much and nothing will touch it then go see wherever your nearest out of hours clinic is.

How long do you think is the wait? My nearest walk-in centre is far away from where I live and it's Friday afternoon so it's going to be busy? I can't be bothered and this heat...Girl :frown:

An X-ray won't help here.

Do you have a minor injuries unit or walk in centre nearby? If you do go and get your knee assessed there.
How long do you think is the wait? My nearest walk-in centre is far away from where I live and it's Friday afternoon so it's going to be busy? I can't be bothered and this heat...Girl :frown:

i think it varies on the area to be honest, could be a few hours maybe. havent used my walk in centre before as my uni doctors does nurse drop ins so always use that instead of seeing an actual doctor.
Original post by moonkatt
An X-ray won't help here.

Do you have a minor injuries unit or walk in centre nearby? If you do go and get your knee assessed there.

I had my sister do an anterior drawer test (I do medicine) on me yesterday and my tibia is moving forward way more than on my good knee obviously it's not ideal as having a doctor do it on me but he didn't even do any knee tests he just looked at my knee and barely touched my knee while I was seated and said "it's not swollen, it looks good".
I had my sister do an anterior drawer test (I do medicine) on me yesterday and my tibia is moving forward way more than on my good knee obviously it's not ideal as having a doctor do it on me but he didn't even do any knee tests he just looked at my knee and barely touched my knee while I was seated and said "it's not swollen, it looks good".

They use any excuse to have less work to do and save money tbh. If it was swollen he would have said "It's too swollen, wait until the swelling goes down and come back." Those two responses are pretty standard and what they use the majority of the time to get rid of you.
He's saying it's normal but it's been a year since I had the surgery and the pain is recent like 2 weeks and I feel like all my physio progress is regressing because I'm a afraid to put too much weight on my knee. Feels unstable.

An x-ray won't help with this - it won't show any of the tendons, ligaments, soft tissue etc which it sounds like might be the problem here. Do you still see your orthopaedic surgeon? If seeing another GP doesn't help, it might be worth asking if you can be reviewed by them.
Original post by Helenia
An x-ray won't help with this - it won't show any of the tendons, ligaments, soft tissue etc which it sounds like might be the problem here. Do you still see your orthopaedic surgeon? If seeing another GP doesn't help, it might be worth asking if you can be reviewed by them.

I've called him earlier today and made and appointment some time this month.
Daenerys, are you just saying this because he's male and foreign?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=ChickenMadness;56623627]They use any excuse to have less work to do and save money tbh. If it was swollen he would have said "It's too swollen, wait until the swelling goes down and come back." Those two responses are pretty standard and what they use the majority of the time to get rid of you.

You sound like my grandma.
She always thinks GPs are trying to slack off lol, when theyre not and its her uneducated opinion. Doubt you know much about 'swelling'.

Quick Reply

Latest