The Student Room Group

Do you think I should...

... do all the past papers again? Looking back at my marks for them i did alright -averaging 67-73, is there any point?
I don't know what paper you're doing, but I'm guessing it's out of 75? I would just move on to harder content tbh
Try Solomon papers
Reply 3
Original post by FrostShot
I don't know what paper you're doing, but I'm guessing it's out of 75? I would just move on to harder content tbh

Yeah out of 75. I think I might try some more challenging things if I find any..

Original post by yelllowribbon
Try Solomon papers

Done them also :P
Reply 4
Original post by hajs
... do all the past papers again? Looking back at my marks for them i did alright -averaging 67-73, is there any point?

I've done all the past papers, then pretty much moved to other exam boards as well as Solomon papers. After that I pretty much just redone all the past papers.
Original post by hajs
Yeah out of 75. I think I might try some more challenging things if I find any..

Done them also :P

For GCSEs or A levels?
So long as that's the most valuable way you could conceivably spend your time, i.e. study whatever you suck at the most.
Reply 7
Original post by kkboyk
I've done all the past papers, then pretty much moved to other exam boards as well as Solomon papers. After that I pretty much just redone all the past papers.

Did it help doing them all again? I think I might aswell. Havent seen them in a while.

For GCSEs or A levels?

A levels :smile:
Original post by hajs
Did it help doing them all again? I think I might aswell. Havent seen them in a while.

Do STEP
Reply 9
Do STEP

What are they?
Original post by hajs
What are they?

Cambridge entrance exams for maths
The people who practice them tend to have amazing UMS results if that's what you are after
Reply 11
I wouldn't. You're probably just missing a question or two which you'd know how to work out after looking at the mark scheme.
Don't do STEP... If you want to challenge yourself, try Edexcel's AEA papers since they're at least similar to C3/C4 and you won't be wasting your time.
Reply 13
Original post by fatart123
Don't do STEP... If you want to challenge yourself, try Edexcel's AEA papers since they're at least similar to C3/C4 and you won't be wasting your time.

Oooh never heard of them. Ill check them out! Thank you!
Original post by hajs

Probably focus on your other subjects. Do at least some of the papers again.
Don't do STEP.
Reply 15
Original post by hajs

It helped a lot for me, especially since I made a list of things that kept making me drop mark and kwpt practicing.

Do STEP

Bad advice. STEP requures a year worth of practice, despite the fact they are testing you on C1-4 knowledge, the sheer didficulty is beyond A-level.
Reply 16
Reply 17
Original post by kkboyk
l
Bad advice. STEP requures a year worth of practice, despite the fact they are testing you on C1-4 knowledge, the sheer didficulty is beyond A-level.

Whilst I agree the OP shouldn't do STEP, I disagree with the fact that it takes a year of practice for STEP. This is simply not true, it takes way less than that. Anytime between 2-6 months sounds appropriate. I started preparing in March myself.
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Whilst I agree the OP shouldn't do STEP, I disagree with the fact that it takes a year of practice for STEP. This is simply not true, it takes way less than that. Anytime between 2-6 months sounds appropriate. I started preparing in March myself.

That isn't the case for everyone, as everyone has a diffwremt starting point (in terms of knowledge). What I meant is that it takes at most a year.
Reply 19
Original post by kkboyk
That isn't the case for everyone, as everyone has a diffwremt starting point (in terms of knowledge). What I meant is that it takes at most a year.

Fair enough. I would say that the standard starting point would be after completing C4.

I was just picking on your use of the word 'requires' which I didn't really agree with, 'tis all. :smile:

Quick Reply