The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the Edexcel Biology B2 exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wdoctor123
Guys this was 1 hour paper right?

Yep. :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Jacobisswaggy
I got D for that too :smile:

Yeah, loads of people seemed to have put that and most of my friends did so I'm pretty sure it was right :P
I'm still really confused. I did higher tier and I did not get any questions on heart etc.
Reply 43
Guys this was 1 hour paper right?

Yes, very hard to manage the time without rushing! Wish we could have an extra 10 minutes or so...
Reply 44
I'm still really confused. I did higher tier and I did not get any questions on heart etc.

Definitely Additional Science B2? (The workbook we used in class was purple with water droplet on it)

Do you do Edexcel? :smile:
Do you do Edexcel? :smile:

Yap. Wait did you guys do IGCSE? or GCSE
15% :smile:

I got 66% and i have no idea how. Even though its less than 60. I added the amount flowers with 5 stems pr somting than divided it by the total and times it by 100. But i got 66.
Reply 48
Original post by Kholmes1
I got 66% and i have no idea how. Even though its less than 60. I added the amount flowers with 5 stems pr somting than divided it by the total and times it by 100. But i got 66.

i wrote 15% who else did
Yap. Wait did you guys do IGCSE? or GCSE

GCSE, not iGCSE.
Yeah wrote the same but added that it was very unlikely that they would have different ancestors and still have the same bone structure so they must have all evolved from a common ancestor or they'd have different bone structures
GCSE, not iGCSE.

Oh that makes sense XD I did IGCSE lol
Original post by Kholmes1

There were 20, and 3 were over 5 stems per. 3/20 = 0.15 = 15% :smile:
Reply 53
Red blood cells are 'tissues' right?

And for the aerobic respiration: glucose + oxygen --------- carbon dioxide + water

Lactic acid makes cramps (correct answer statement 2)

Exercise results in an increase in oxygen uptake because the oxygen can be released and the carbon dioxide can be removed faster by the process of diffusion, resulting in an increase in breathing and heart rate

Red blood cells do not contain a nucleus which is an advantage because more room can be used for the haemoglobin to transport oxygen around the body and help diffusion of oxygen to be released and carbon dioxide removed faster.

I hope they are right :smile:
Reply 54
I thought it was MUCH harder than previous exams. The heart question was vile! In the end I got Lungs, D, Deox and Lower pressure I think. Took me about 20 mins to figure it out with mnemonics and stuff. The lighter colour of the blood meant oxygenated which I found so confusing! Wish it was in colour with red/blue I think the two organs at the side were lungs, the one at the top the brain and at the bottom the body so I based everything on that. I thought the 6 markers were easy, but then I didn't make that many points as there wasn't anything else to say. I said Humerus, Ulna, Carpal, Radius, Fingers = common ancestor - all different now, so evolved in different ways, perhaps as adaptation for survival. Then I just talked about enucleation of egg cell, fusion of egg body and nucleus, electrical stimulation to divide by mitosis, embryo implanted into surrogate. Doesn't feel like a full 6 marks but I'm not sure.

For the how much thicker was the ventricle wall one I'm confused. I got that the small wall was 0.3cm and the large one was 0.6cm, therefore I put 0.6/0.3 which is 2. It was 2 marks so even if the correct answer was 3, will I get the marks for the corret method of working out a scale factor? How did people get 3? Gah, how can I not use a ruler?!?!?! xD
What did everyone put for the last six marker? My answer is something like this;
The scientists would first enucleate a egg cell and discard the nucleus
They would then enucleate the genetically modified cell, keeping its nucleus
Now they would insert the GM nucleus into the 'empty' egg shell and stimulate it with an electric shock
This would start mitosis and so the cell will divide
Once the cell has become a ball of cells, and the scientists would insert it into a surrogate and a genetically identical clone would be made from the genetically modified cell
Reply 56
Original post by M463
I thought it was MUCH harder than previous exams. The heart question was vile! In the end I got Lungs, D, Deox and Lower pressure I think. Took me about 20 mins to figure it out with mnemonics and stuff. The lighter colour of the blood meant oxygenated which I found so confusing! Wish it was in colour with red/blue I think the two organs at the side were lungs, the one at the top the brain and at the bottom the body so I based everything on that. I thought the 6 markers were easy, but then I didn't make that many points as there wasn't anything else to say. I said Humerus, Ulna, Carpal, Radius, Fingers = common ancestor - all different now, so evolved in different ways, perhaps as adaptation for survival. Then I just talked about enucleation of egg cell, fusion of egg body and nucleus, electrical stimulation to divide by mitosis, embryo implanted into surrogate. Doesn't feel like a full 6 marks but I'm not sure.

For the how much thicker was the ventricle wall one I'm confused. I got that the small wall was 0.3cm and the large one was 0.6cm, therefore I put 0.6/0.3 which is 2. It was 2 marks so even if the correct answer was 3, will I get the marks for the corret method of working out a scale factor? How did people get 3? Gah, how can I not use a ruler?!?!?! xD

I think the chamber question was just 1 mark? I'm not sure I used a ruler and got 3 at the end.

Cloning 6 marker - not much you can talk about but the keywords were important. You could have said the nucleus is removed from the diploid adult body cell. The nucleus is also removed from the egg cell (enucleation). Then the diploid adult body cell is inserted inside the enucleated egg cell where it is stimulated with an electric pulse to start mitotic division. An embryo started to grow and implanted to the surrogate mother, which is an example of asexual reproduction producing two identical genes.
Reply 57
Original post by Janel Rajput
What did everyone put for the last six marker? My answer is something like this;
The scientists would first enucleate a egg cell and discard the nucleus
They would then enucleate the genetically modified cell, keeping its nucleus
Now they would insert the GM nucleus into the 'empty' egg shell and stimulate it with an electric shock
This would start mitosis and so the cell will divide
Once the cell has become a ball of cells, and the scientists would insert it into a surrogate and a genetically identical clone would be made from the genetically modified cell

same yes!!!!!!!! i thought i did it wrong
Original post by brithday
what did everyone write for organ x

I wrote lungs
Reply 59
Original post by mali473
I wrote lungs

i mis read the question and wrote cappilaries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending