The Student Room Group

How did everyone find the Edexcel Biology B2 exam today?

Scroll to see replies

how was it lung just aksing cuz I traced wit my highliter and in went in to the right ventricle I wrote puntary artyies spet it wrong wat was bold vessel y ansd w
Reply 61
Original post by oni176
I think the chamber question was just 1 mark? I'm not sure I used a ruler and got 3 at the end.

Cloning 6 marker - not much you can talk about but the keywords were important. You could have said the nucleus is removed from the diploid adult body cell. The nucleus is also removed from the egg cell (enucleation). Then the diploid adult body cell is inserted inside the enucleated egg cell where it is stimulated with an electric pulse to start mitotic division. An embryo started to grow and implanted to the surrogate mother, which is an example of asexual reproduction producing two identical genes.

Right, okay. I missed the two points about it being diploid and asexual production, but hey ho, they're not massively relevant points to the question so I don't think they will be key to getting full marks. I'm not sure though - I literally just recalled the 6 marker on a past paper about cloning and mentioned every point on the mark scheme. I think implanted and surrogate were marking points, but asexual and diploid weren't. I guess we'll see; you've definitely got the full 6 marks though!! tyvm for the help!
Reply 62
Original post by brithday
what did everyone write for organ x

I've put the lungs hope that's right
Reply 63
Original post by M463
Right, okay. I missed the two points about it being diploid and asexual production, but hey ho, they're not massively relevant points to the question so I don't think they will be key to getting full marks. I'm not sure though - I literally just recalled the 6 marker on a past paper about cloning and mentioned every point on the mark scheme. I think implanted and surrogate were marking points, but asexual and diploid weren't. I guess we'll see; you've definitely got the full 6 marks though!! tyvm for the help!

Hopefully.. That was a good paper but the grade boundaries are going to be very high for sure :biggrin:
asexual and asexual reproduction what qustion
Reply 65
Original post by oni176
Hopefully.. That was a good paper but the grade boundaries are going to be very high for sure :biggrin:

I'd disagree. I think it was okay, but much much harder than last year's which was easy. Grade boundaries last year were 47 for an A*
Reply 66
What did everyone put about question 1? The plants!!
Original post by ziddy
i mis read the question and wrote cappilaries

My friend wrote the same thing and I wasn't sure...but it asked for an 'organ' so i wrote lungs...not sure if I'm right though :/
Reply 68
Original post by M463
I'd disagree. I think it was okay, but much much harder than last year's which was easy. Grade boundaries last year were 47 for an A*

Then that would be very good indeed! I hope they will make it around 46-47 for an A*, but it looks as if they'll make it 52 instead.
Original post by M463

Here's my view on it:

B1 - 52/60 for A*
C1 - 51/60 for A*
P1 - 44/60 for A*
B2 - 48/60 for A*

B2 was definitely not an easy paper with some 'dodgy' 6 markers and a few horrific questions (that heart diagram though!) but overall most of it was not that bad. More difficult than last years though but the grade boundary for last year should've been 50/60 for A*...
I realised now that I messed up so much. For the question about guard cells I wrote about CO2 instead of water and transpiration. For how does blood get to the lungs I thought it just asked about how the heart works so I said it was like a pump and the blood moves through the valves... then the six markes went even worse. The first one I only talked about pentadactyl and how it shows they had a common ancestor. The second I mixed up egg cell with nucleus (how the hell is a nucleus implanted into a surrogate mother?!?!). And to add to this misery I missed the last question. I was targeted an A*; well that went in the bin.
Reply 71
Original post by HarryKane28
Here's my view on it:

B1 - 52/60 for A*
C1 - 51/60 for A*
P1 - 44/60 for A*
B2 - 48/60 for A*

B2 was definitely not an easy paper with some 'dodgy' 6 markers and a few horrific questions (that heart diagram though!) but overall most of it was not that bad. More difficult than last years though but the grade boundary for last year should've been 50/60 for A*...

I agree with that heart diagram. That was confusing. Hopefully they'll make around 47-48 as an A*. They won't do it as 52 will they?
Original post by oni176
I agree with that heart diagram. That was confusing. Hopefully they'll make around 47-48 as an A*. They won't do it as 52 will they?

B1 was unbelievably easy, the 6 markers were predictable and the overall paper was very very basic. Surely the grade boundaries will be as high as ever (52/60 for A*).
Reply 73
B1 was unbelievably easy, the 6 markers were predictable and the overall paper was very very basic. Surely the grade boundaries will be as high as ever (52/60 for A*).

I'm talking about the B2 paper.
Reply 74
Here's my view on it:

B1 - 52/60 for A*
C1 - 51/60 for A*
P1 - 44/60 for A*
B2 - 48/60 for A*

Yep I'd agree. The heart diagram was terrible - the lighter grey was oxygenated whicch confused me no end! It just required ALOT more thought and application than other papers. I reckon I got 50ish, so fingers crossed. But yeah, definitely not easy, some nice protein synthesis questions though - can't believe they never asked us to compare bacterial cells to another kind of cell! That's on almost every other paper ;D
Original post by oni176
I'm talking about the B2 paper.

Oh well, although people say its easy, I believe some of the questions were just too difficult to allow there to be 50 or more out of 60 for an A*
Original post by mali473
My friend wrote the same thing and I wasn't sure...but it asked for an 'organ' so i wrote lungs...not sure if I'm right though :/

Lungs is correct. I wrote pulmonary artery which is also wrong
can someone please tell me what they got for 1b as reasons why more plants grow on open grassland than woodland. also the last on how cloning is used to benefit health/science
Reply 78
Original post by Izzie D
What did everyone put about question 1? The plants!!

Anyone?
Reply 79
Original post by justscience18
can someone please tell me what they got for 1b as reasons why more plants grow on open grassland than woodland. also the last on how cloning is used to benefit health/science

I put less shade = more sunlight = more photosynthesis = more growth = more flowers on each stem.

For the last one I did not have a clue. My guess was that it enabled us to develop and research how to conduct the cloning process safely and effectively. Therefore, it allows us to develop application on human beings, so that eventually we could be able to create brain-dead clones of ourselves, and use them as organ donors, as there wouldn't be any rejection as our clones are genetically identical to us. You could use this to cure liver cirrhosis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending