The Student Room Group

Computer Science

I recently sat my As level exams (Computing, Geog, History and Eng Lang). I am considering courses in Computer Science and Computer Information Systems. If you have done a degree in either and have not taken A level Maths, what university do you go to and how do you find the maths required for the course.

I very much appreciate your advice.
Original post by DBR247
I recently sat my As level exams (Computing, Geog, History and Eng Lang). I am considering courses in Computer Science and Computer Information Systems. If you have done a degree in either and have not taken A level Maths, what university do you go to and how do you find the maths required for the course.

I very much appreciate your advice.

There are some decent unis that don't specify A-level Maths as an entry req.

These include: Birmingham, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle, KCL, Liverpool, Sheffield etc.

Re: Computer Info Systems, I would just stick to Computer Science (or with AI/Maths) because of its much better reputation amongst employers. Plus, the degree itself is very wide reaching but also rigorous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't really need much maths for computer science. Where it does pop out is for things like bit manipulation (hexadecimal), computer graphics (geometry) and algorithms, but you are unlikely to need a background in complex integration / differentiation for most things.

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
You don't really need much maths for computer science. Where it does pop out is for things like bit manipulation (hexadecimal), computer graphics (geometry) and algorithms, but you are unlikely to need a background in complex integration / differentiation for most things.

Good luck!

Are you being serious?

You need vectors, predicate calculus, matrices, calculus for working on physics engines, discrete maths, numerical analysis and many more topics.

Maybe a software engineering degree would be less quantitative but CS is most definitely mostly Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

You need vectors, predicate calculus, matrices, calculus for working on physics engines, discrete maths, numerical analysis and many more topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are getting confused between the pure subject of software development and using software development to solve problems in mathematical and physics oriented domains.

In 15 years of software development in defence, mobile, finance, web and application development, I am yet to use vectors, predicate calculus, matrices, calculus for working on physics engines, discrete maths or numerical analysis.

So if you are going to work for a company that develops physics engines, a degree in physics is probably more useful than a computer science degree. If however, you are just out to develop software, none of the above applies.

But what do I know?
Original post by ByEeek
But what do I know?

OP is asking about the Maths required at uni for a Computer Science course, whereas you're talking about development in the real world - but uni and the real world don't have a great deal of overlap with the stuff you do.
Original post by Push_More_Button
OP is asking about the Maths required at uni for a Computer Science course, whereas you're talking about development in the real world - but uni and the real world don't have a great deal of overlap with the stuff you do.

I still stand by my original post. Most Computer Science degrees don't require students to create physics engines or require discrete calculus. I believe someone else also confirmed that some courses do not require maths as part of the entry requirements which sounds more than reasonable.
Original post by ByEeek
I still stand by my original post. Most Computer Science degrees don't require students to create physics engines or require discrete calculus. I believe someone else also confirmed that some courses do not require maths as part of the entry requirements which sounds more than reasonable.

Just because they don't require Maths (most good courses do), doesn't mean that the degree does not involve maths.

Feel free to look at any of the prospectuses for top CS courses and the discrete maths, vectors, predicate calculus and boolean algebra will be featured - amongst other courses.

University level CS is not about programming, it's about the theoretical foundations of computation - which, funnily enough, Google and other top tech firms prefer graduates to be well versed in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University level CS is not about programming, it's about the theoretical foundations of computation - which, funnily enough, Google and other top tech firms prefer graduates to be well versed in.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Google will require maths. Their core business is based in a mathematical domain. Similarly, the top 10 recruiters will set high bars because they can afford to be picky.

I am not saying that maths has no place in computer science but neither is it essential. Sure, if you want to do an in depth analysis of optimal search functions in data sets, then I am sure discrete mathematics is essential. Meanwhile back in the real world we just go:

Dictionary<int, string> intStringPairs;

My degree course at Aston University didn't require any (serious) maths and neither has my career. As stated in one of the other top replies, many courses don't require mathematics as an entry requirement.

So if we are to agree, perhaps the answer to the OP should be "A good foundation in mathematics will aid a degree in computer science but is not essential."
Reply 9
The difference between a computer science graduate who understands discrete mathematics, set and group theory, and mathematical logic, and one who does not, is the difference between an architect and a construction worker.

Make your choice.
Original post by ByEeek
Google will require maths. Their core business is based in a mathematical domain. Similarly, the top 10 recruiters will set high bars because they can afford to be picky.

I am not saying that maths has no place in computer science but neither is it essential. Sure, if you want to do an in depth analysis of optimal search functions in data sets, then I am sure discrete mathematics is essential. Meanwhile back in the real world we just go:

Dictionary<int, string> intStringPairs;

My degree course at Aston University didn't require any (serious) maths and neither has my career. As stated in one of the other top replies, many courses don't require mathematics as an entry requirement.

So if we are to agree, perhaps the answer to the OP should be "A good foundation in mathematics will aid a degree in computer science but is not essential."

What you seem to not understand is that theoretical Computer Science (where the actual research is done/the content unis should teach), is a branch of Maths. A regular software engineering job will ultimately not be within the field of CS, but rather a more applied 'little sibling' as it were.

Congrats on your degree, but just because Aston does it that way does not mean that's how CS should be taught. That's like saying: "oh, let's just plump in the experiments and forget about all the Maths in our Physics course".

What people need to understand is that coding isn't CS and software engineering isn't CS. Maths is essential (and should feature as the bulk of the content) to properly understand the theory of CS - maybe not Software Engineering. There's a reason most good unis place it in their Science department or Mathematics department.
What you seem to not understand is that theoretical Computer Science (where the actual research is done/the content unis should teach), is a branch of Maths. A regular software engineering job will ultimately not be within the field of CS, but rather a more applied 'little sibling' as it were.

Last reply to you here. My original post was to the original poster. I will write the question again so you can read it.

"If you have done a degree and have not taken A level Maths, what university do you go to and how do you find the maths required for the course."

Part of the answer to this question is "No you do not need A-level maths to study Computer Science."

Someone else then helpfully pointed out that the following universities that do not require A-level maths as an entry requirement

Birmingham, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle, KCL, Liverpool, Sheffield

I hear you. Yes if you want to disappear into a dusty corner of a computer science department and study discrete mathermatics of set theory then yes, A-level maths is probably pretty useful. But that wasn't the question was it?

Strewth!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending