The Student Room Group

does the equivalence point not always have to be PH 7??

Is the equivalence point not the point at which the solution is neutral ??
yeah think of it as when all of the acid has reacted with sufficient base
and sorry if i didn't clarify enough, not always neutral if strong acid weak base, pH will be a little under 7 like 6 or something etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emmalav
Is the equivalence point not the point at which the solution is neutral ??

Hayden is wrong. It depends, if you are titrating a strong acid with a strong base then it will be at pH 7. If it's a weak acid with a strong base then it will be above pH 7, if it's a strong acid and a weak base then it will be below pH 7
Original post by langlitz
Hayden is wrong. It depends, if you are titrating a strong acid with a strong base then it will be at pH 7. If it's a weak acid with a strong base then it will be above pH 7, if it's a strong acid and a weak base then it will be below pH 7

The equivalence point for a strong acid and strong base isn't strictly 7. It is a large range, normally from 4 to 10, this is because [H+] changes from something positive to zero which is a large relative change and pH is logarithmic. Hence a large change in pH is seen near equivalence. This is because you get mutual base protonation and deprotonation near equivalence which has a large effect on pH since [H+] fluctuates about 0
Original post by langlitz

yeah i may have explained it pretty badly, the rule of 2 is what i was trying to say, i just gave an example

Quick Reply

Latest