The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit one revision aqa lets ask each other questions woop

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Gcse123321
Thank you so much

You're welcome :h:
Original post by BTAnonymous
Remove any impurities because ores naturally contain impurities such as limestone. Limestone is mainly calcium carbonate but still contains impurities.

Thank you so much, so when an ore is mined you remove any impurities, extract it and then purify it?
Reply 62
Some revision resources for chemistry:

Specification - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-4405-W-SP-14.PDF
BBC Bitesize - http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa/
MyGCSEScience - https://www.youtube.com/user/myGCSEscience/playlists
Past papers - http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/science-a-4405/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

I'm revising ALL day tomorrow. Busy on Sunday morning but will have the afternoon and evening to prepare for Tuesday.

Best of luck to you all. Hopefully you will all get high marks and reconcile your marks lost in biology today if you struggled. Or did we actually do well? Just be positive and smile! :h:

Good luck!

thank you so much for this omg!!
Emulsions are tiny droplets which are formed when two liquids are mixed together, Eventually they separate. This is an emulsion.

Emulsions can improve the texture and appearance of foods such as mayo.

Emulsifiers stop two liquids from separating. They do this because they contain molecules. These molecules have two distinctive ends:

Hydrophilic - water loving
Hydrophobic - water hating

Both ends are negatively charged. The hydrophilic end is attracted to water whereas the hydrophobic end is attracted to oil. This means they cannot separate and if two ends meet (so hydrophilic and hydrophilic) they will repel each other because they both have the same charge (negative).

This is such a good answer! Explained better than my revision guide and teacher! Thankyou!
Reply 64
There is a petition for AQA to lower their grade boundaries on the B1 exam here if you want to sign it although I don't think it will reach 10,000 but it's worth a try!

Also here is a super helpful post to help you guys revise:
Original post by brozza981
Right, I've been digging around online and this is what I've come up with:

Atomic Structure -> always on
Burning fossil fuels – acid rain corrosion etc
Balancing equations
Structure of the earth (easy for people who have done geography :smile:) and continental drift evidence Hydration
Limestone in general lol

Possible 6 Markers
ethanol production
Early atmosphere
Building materials (limestone, cement etc)

And don't forget to look over 2012's paper! AQA this year have almost duplicated the paper from three years ago for each exam of theirs I've taken.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gcse123321
Thank you so much, so when an ore is mined you remove any impurities, extract it and then purify it?

Exactly that.
Original post by GCSE_core
This is such a good answer! Explained better than my revision guide and teacher! Thankyou!

No problem. Good luck.
Original post by YashviD
thank you so much for this omg!!

No problem. Taking 5 minute breaks every hour and just looking on TSR.
Original post by ScrewTheExams
I... was... aiming for an A. Now this is a screw all situation.

I got an A* in the easy ISA, I was hoping to get an A in Biology as I find it easy, but this statistics maths paper and B2 paper was a disgrace.

You can still get an especially with that A* with at least 90 or more UMS points. Ace chem and physics and you will get a strong A.
What's the best way to revise because I don't want the information just staying in my short term memory. Any good ways to revise? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by YashviD
There is a petition for AQA to lower their grade boundaries on the B1 exam here if you want to sign it although I don't think it will reach 10,000 but it's worth a try!

A petition will never do anything, sadly.

A set number of people get each grade each year, and that is based on the scores people get, which are then converted into UMS.
The grade you get will be representative of how well you answered, compared to everybody else, as usual.

If more people struggled (which it looks like they did) then the grade boundaries will be lower anyway.
A petition will not affect the grade boundaries at all.

:console:
Original post by Lucy1999
What's the best way to revise because I don't want the information just staying in my short term memory. Any good ways to revise? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This will be useful for next year, a little late now but I started earl and did small bursts of revision so the information I took in wasn't too overwhelming. Eventually I built it up and I think I can write almost everything about AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 without anything but pen and paper. ALMOST everything. It just sticks in my head because I have done the topics so many times.
Original post by YashviD

Also here is a super helpful post to help you guys revise:

Like Nueth said the petition might not do anything however because it looks like lots of people struggled the exam board won't reach their target for so and so. So they might want 10 A*s (unrealistic) across the country but only get 4 so they then need to lower. Unfortunately that is how it works.
Reply 73
Like Nueth said the petition might not do anything however because it looks like lots of people struggled the exam board won't reach their target for so and so. So they might want 10 A*s (unrealistic) across the country but only get 4 so they then need to lower. Unfortunately that is how it works.

They don't decide grade boundaries first. They don't have a target to meet prior to calculating them either.

Everybody gets a set UMS, and then percentages get allocated grades.
E.g. Only the top 10% of students will get A*, etc. This percentage never changes :smile:

It just means that there will be fewer people with high scores, so the top 10% would be lower than usual, hence lower boundaries :smile:
Original post by Neuth
They don't decide grade boundaries first. They don't have a target to meet prior to calculating them either.

Everybody gets a set UMS, and then percentages get allocated grades.
E.g. Only the top 10% of students will get A*, etc. This percentage never changes :smile:

It just means that there will be fewer people with high scores, so the top 10% would be lower than usual, hence lower boundaries :smile:

Oh I see now. Cheers!
Reply 75
Original post by Lucy1999

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers, by far :yep:

Read the specification and make notes as you go along.

Make model answers. Write them out. Then try and write them out again from memory - learn it :smile:
Reply 76
Oh I see now. Cheers!

You're welcome :smile:

Do you see why petitions will never make a difference, now?
People automatically think if they complain, the exam board will just move the grade boundaries down.
It just doesn't work like that, unfortunately :redface:

It's a shame, although you should find comfort knowing the reality - you'll do better than you thought :smile:
Original post by Neuth
You're welcome :smile:

Do you see why petitions will never make a difference, now?
People automatically think if they complain, the exam board will just move the grade boundaries down.
It just doesn't work like that, unfortunately :redface:

It's a shame, although you should find comfort knowing the reality - you'll do better than you thought :smile:

Tough life I guess. I think I am everyone else has been overacting though because it is their first GCSE exam.
I don't think pros & cons of ethanol production (i.e. Hydration of ethene VS sugar cane) will come up as it has appeared quite a few times as a 6 marker so I think people are getting the hang of things now. But then again, I don't know so... :smile:
But if not it will definitely be in there as its a very 'current-events' sort of topic.

Oh and read examiner reports! I don't think many people use them - they aren't mentioned as often as past papers and mark schemes but they're really useful.
and just to clarify for all panicking about how their biology exam went and saying it was not on-spec, "Students should expect to be given unfamiliar contexts and information thatassess these objectives." (It's from a chemistry mark scheme - the one I'm looking at now - but is on all of them.) The examiners aren't trying to be nice, so expect some weird 'suggest' questions whenever you do the exam. Some just have more, some have less.

Quick Reply

Latest