The Student Room Group

I need a little advise.... SAE, Ravensbourne or University of Bedfordshire?

I am currently studying a Level 3 Media Diploma at Chelmsford college.
I would really like to be in the radio industry (ether a producer or something similar) or working in the audio post production side of things in TV or Film.
Which university would be best I was looking at these courses:

SAE - Audio
Ravensbourne - Broadcast Audio Technology
University of Bedfordshire - TV and Radio Production

Please help! Im so confused...
Original post by nayyan123
I would really like to be in the radio industry (ether a producer or something similar) or working in the audio post production side of things in TV or Film.

SAE - Audio

Hi Nayyan123

BA (Hons) Media Production (Radio) draws on the strengths of the well-established and successful course in media production. It adds to the existing provision by providing an opportunity to focus on radio production. Many graduates from Media Production have now progressed to successful careers in the UK and international media.

The emphasis of this course is on the production process. Radio production is influenced by many cultural, economic and political factors - you'll study these factors, together with the history of the media, so that you can make effective, powerful radio programmes and other media products that connect with their audience.The course covers theoretical and practical concepts, and you will learn to combine these elements for radio programmes, as well as essays, presentations, dramas and documentaries.

We also have our own full time community radio station Radio LaB, serving not only the students at the University of Bedfordshire but also the wider community of Luton.

The best thing to do would be to book onto an open day. Our next open day is Wednesday 1 July 2015 you can book a place here.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to get in touch :smile:

SAE - Audio

Hey There!

Ravensbourne Broadcast Systems Technology Students are highly prized by industry and almost 100 per cent of our graduates gain immediate employment!

Most of our student work in the industry as a part-timers before they graduate so you can expect to work in many areas of the broadcasting industry from systems design, installation, maintenance and support, to studio and location production, post-production and transmission. Because this course is accredited by both Creative Skillset and BKSTS (British Kinematograph, Sound and Television Society), you will be choosing a course that has the approval of the broadcast industry! And of course you will be guided by teaching staff and external broadcasting professionals whilst studying here.

But apart from all of that, come and visit Ravensbourne on our open day or even within the next few days. We have are Degree Show on this week and we you could check out what students have done. (Click Here to Book Tickets)

Hope this helps and Best of luck with your decision

Kay
Reply 3
BUT nayyan123 (and this is important if you are considering a career in TV specifically) there is NO course that you will do which will, in itself , increase your chances of getting work in the TV industry when you graduate. The reason is that you do NOT get trained to do that first job in the industry and what you learn - while it may be interesting and useful in latter stages of your work - is not fit for the purposes of getting that first job.

Remember, you will almost certainly start as a "runner". And when TV Producers and Production Managers recruit runners they are considerably less interested in what degree you did, where you did it and what you studied as part of it, and much, much more interested in what real world practical experience you have.

Wherever you choose to go then, the most important thing to look for is for lecturers who have recent industry experience and whether or not there are opportunities to get work experience in proper places during your three years.

And - pace Ravensbourne - any institution that tells you that they boast a 100% employment rate or their graduates is being economical with the truth at best. Ask yourself - where are these graduates working - Primark, McDonalds or the BBC? And what are they doing one year later?

To put it bluntly a 100% employment rate in the industry is simply 100% not true!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ravensbourne
Hey There!

Ravensbourne Broadcast Systems Technology Students are highly prized by industry and almost 100 per cent of our graduates gain immediate employment!

Most of our student work in the industry as a part-timers before they graduate so you can expect to work in many areas of the broadcasting industry from systems design, installation, maintenance and support, to studio and location production, post-production and transmission. Because this course is accredited by both Creative Skillset and BKSTS (British Kinematograph, Sound and Television Society), you will be choosing a course that has the approval of the broadcast industry! And of course you will be guided by teaching staff and external broadcasting professionals whilst studying here.

But apart from all of that, come and visit Ravensbourne on our open day or even within the next few days. We have are Degree Show on this week and we you could check out what students have done. (Click Here to Book Tickets)

Hope this helps and Best of luck with your decision

Kay

Thank you Kay!

This helped a lot, I went to your open day on the 20th and was very impressed! It has inspired me to work extra hard to gain my grades at college.

Thank you again!
Reply 5
Original post by University of Bedfordshire
Hi Nayyan123

BA (Hons) Media Production (Radio) draws on the strengths of the well-established and successful course in media production. It adds to the existing provision by providing an opportunity to focus on radio production. Many graduates from Media Production have now progressed to successful careers in the UK and international media.

The emphasis of this course is on the production process. Radio production is influenced by many cultural, economic and political factors - you'll study these factors, together with the history of the media, so that you can make effective, powerful radio programmes and other media products that connect with their audience.The course covers theoretical and practical concepts, and you will learn to combine these elements for radio programmes, as well as essays, presentations, dramas and documentaries.

We also have our own full time community radio station Radio LaB, serving not only the students at the University of Bedfordshire but also the wider community of Luton.

The best thing to do would be to book onto an open day. Our next open day is Wednesday 1 July 2015 you can book a place here.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to get in touch :smile:

Thank you!
Ill book a place asap for the open day!
Reply 6
Original post by TV man
BUT nayyan123 (and this is important if you are considering a career in TV specifically) there is NO course that you will do which will, in itself , increase your chances of getting work in the TV industry when you graduate. The reason is that you do NOT get trained to do that first job in the industry and what you learn - while it may be interesting and useful in latter stages of your work - is not fit for the purposes of getting that first job.

Remember, you will almost certainly start as a "runner". And when TV Producers and Production Managers recruit runners they are considerably less interested in what degree you did, where you did it and what you studied as part of it, and much, much more interested in what real world practical experience you have.

Wherever you choose to go then, the most important thing to look for is for lecturers who have recent industry experience and whether or not there are opportunities to get work experience in proper places during your three years.

And - pace Ravensbourne - any institution that tells you that they boast a 100% employment rate or their graduates is being economical with the truth at best. Ask yourself - where are these graduates working - Primark, McDonalds or the BBC? And what are they doing one year later?

To put it bluntly a 100% employment rate in the industry is simply 100% not true!

Thank you! This was really helpful! I'm considering uni and maybe full time work... I was looking at entry level TV researcher jobs, would this be a good step, if in the end I don't go/get into uni?
Reply 7
Hi nayyan123, there aren't any entry level TV researcher jobs. If you want to go into TV you start by doing work experience then get a job as a runner. After a few years of that you can apply for researcher jobs. A degree in any discipline is worth having but in general the more academic the degree at the better the institution is best (if for no other reason than it gives you something useful to fall back on if a TV career doesn't work out). A degree isn't essential but work experience in the industry is - it's the most important thing!
Thank you Kay!

This helped a lot, I went to your open day on the 20th and was very impressed! It has inspired me to work extra hard to gain my grades at college.

Thank you again!

Hey nayyan123,

I hope you are well and I heard that a friend of mine, Kay ^^ talked to you about Ravensbourne and the degree you're interested in. Ask us any questions you'd like to know and did you know about the Degree Show here in Ravensbourne last week? It was a success!! there were a lot of companies who came and looked at all our 3rd years hard work and a lot got placements already and some internships.

We can't wait to see you again and have a nice holiday

Ahlia :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hey nayyan123,

I hope you are well and I heard that a friend of mine, Kay ^^ talked to you about Ravensbourne and the degree you're interested in. Ask us any questions you'd like to know and did you know about the Degree Show here in Ravensbourne last week? It was a success!! there were a lot of companies who came and looked at all our 3rd years hard work and a lot got placements already and some internships.

We can't wait to see you again and have a nice holiday

Ahlia :biggrin:

Thank you Ahlia, Yes I did hear about it, but it was too late ;/ Is there anyway which I could see some of the work which the 3rd years have produced whilst being at Ravensbourne?

Thanks again,
Nayyan123
Thank you Ahlia, Yes I did hear about it, but it was too late ;/ Is there anyway which I could see some of the work which the 3rd years have produced whilst being at Ravensbourne?

Thanks again,
Nayyan123

Hey Nayyan123

Yes you definitely can see some of our 3 years work :biggrin:
Here's the link Click Here !

Also if you're interested, check out are A day of a life of a Ravensbourne student, you can check out what other students are doing Click here :smile:

Hope this helps

Kay :h:
Reply 11
Hey Nayyan123

Yes you definitely can see some of our 3 years work :biggrin:
Here's the link Click Here !

Also if you're interested, check out are A day of a life of a Ravensbourne student, you can check out what other students are doing Click here :smile:

Hope this helps

Kay :h:

Thank you Kay!! I have a look now, sorry this is a bit late, I had some work experience with a lighting designer, putting up lights on stages at a festival.
Reply 12
Original post by TV man
Hi nayyan123, there aren't any entry level TV researcher jobs. If you want to go into TV you start by doing work experience then get a job as a runner. After a few years of that you can apply for researcher jobs. A degree in any discipline is worth having but in general the more academic the degree at the better the institution is best (if for no other reason than it gives you something useful to fall back on if a TV career doesn't work out). A degree isn't essential but work experience in the industry is - it's the most important thing!

Thank You again for your wonderful words of wisdom!!! this has really helped me out!! I have tried to get some work experience in Tv but have become unsuccessful, however I have got work experience in different areas, such as lighting for stages in festivals and In radio. Do you think this could be a stepping stone in trying to gain a job in TV?
Reply 13
It might, yes, however it is work experience at proper TV companies that really makes you stand out so I would keep bashing away at that.

This page may help:

http://www.tvwatercooler.org/wordpress/companies-offering-work-experience-schemes/

SAE - Audio

Hi!

The audio course designed at SAE is very in depth, it takes you through the basics of audio engineering right up to advanced techniques. The course also explores a wealth of other areas within the industry, such as radio, post production, music for film, music for games and live sound. The course is designed to nurture and equip you with the skills to begin working in the industry as soon as your studying ends. We have 4 campuses in the UK - Liverpool, Glasgow, Oxford and London - as well as 53 campuses in 27 countries worldwide.

An added benefit of SAE is that our BA/BSc courses last for 2 years as opposed to 3, giving the opportunity to progress quicker into your chosen field.

We are still taking prospective students for the September 2015 intake, for more information you can visit our website www.sae.edu/gbr/ or by calling any campus direct.

Cheers!

SAE - Audio

Hi
If your interested in film have you checked out SAE? Im a second year student studying Digital film making at our oxford campus, we are a two year intensive course so we really get hands on! sound like something you may be interested in? we are currently in clearing! check out our website http://www.sae.edu/gbr/filmAll the best SAE Oxford

SAE - Audio

Hey Nayyan,

Did you decide which university you are going to? If you've had any issues let us know!

Our clearing line is open on: 020 3040 3991.

All the best,

Bee :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest