The Student Room Group

missing grades

I was just wondering if there are any stats on the level of acceptances of people who miss grades. I have heard lot's of mathmos don't meet conditions because of STEP. Apart from that, does what subject you do affect whether they are likely to accept you if you miss your offer. Also, do module scores count for anything. Would someone who missed an A by 1 UMS mark be in a better position than someone who missed it by 59 UMS marks? I should make my AAA offer but it's going to be close. It is very scary and I am dreading results day.

MB
Reply 1
By the sounds of it, if you call them up on results day and ask if they'll still take you, there's a good chance they will, especially if you were very close to making your grade. It's worth a shot.
But be positive! Believe that you're going to get your grades! :smile:
Reply 2
I think my AAB will not be difficult, the only grade still in question is that of further maths and since I want to do maths it'd be pretty bad if I didn't get the A in that eh? My college mentioned that if I don't get my grades (especially STEP) I will not get a place, period. So i'm not even going to think about that.

Out of interest, do you think they are sympathetic to those who have missed their offers because of some weird extenuating circumstances? I wonder if they ever kick themselves because they are morally obliged to take an applicant who missed their grades even though they really can't afford to because they had some crazy circumstances behind them. (Are they morally obliged?)
Reply 3
They're not obliged to have any morals at all...:frown:

They do take people who miss their grades, though - if I remember correctly, I think that blissy mentioned she missed her offer by a wee bit and they still accpeted her?

There really are no hard and fast rules about it, though. It will depend on a range of things from course and college to how many other students miss their grades too, etc...

I know it's hard, but the best thing to do is to get through the exams and look forward to a long summer, not even thinking one little bit about grades until mid-august. :smile:
Reply 4
They do accept student who miss their offer, but it's at the discretion of the admission tutor. There isn't any statute to say in what circumstances they would accept students; but if you have a good reason (illness, family grievances, ect.) they may look on your results in a better light. The university has no obligation to consider any reason though, and it most cases, if you miss your offer, the offer will be withdrawn.
Reply 5
Taken from the Cambridge website:

If you have not quite met the offer, please don’t panic! Depending on the number of students who have made their offers, there may be a few places available at the College you applied to or at another College. Please be patient for a little longer - your College will contact you as soon as possible.

If your grades are substantially lower than those required by your offer, hopefully you will have made the grades for your insurance offer. Unless there are special circumstances to consider, your application will have been unsuccessful. You will receive a letter from UCAS stating this so that you can take up your insurance place (if you meet the conditions for that place) or enter Clearing

For the rest of the information.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2003081201
Reply 6
you will be pooled again if your college can't take you in... Now I'm not an expert but this is the impression I got

summer pool is where details of applicants who missed the grades go, so that colleges which have places left over (ie some of their applicants missed the grades by a long way) can "fish out" applicants who only just missed their offers.

I'm hoping that this will be in my favour, because I have a 4A offer, so If I get AAAB I'll have done better than most people who missed the grades (as the typical offer is AAA)
Reply 7
well, If I miss my Grades I'll have AABB (+ A in AS Crit think) so that is better than just AAB.

MB
Reply 8
musicboy
well, If I miss my Grades I'll have AABB (+ A in AS Crit think) so that is better than just AAB.

MB

Any idea what your exam score was? I mean I know you never know for certain but usually you can make an informed guess with fair accuracy.
Reply 9
Faboba
Any idea what your exam score was? I mean I know you never know for certain but usually you can make an informed guess with fair accuracy.

Which exam score?

MB
Reply 10
musicboy
Which exam score?

MB

I'm not quite sure. I think I was speaking about your exams in general ( how close you think you are to getting the grades / what the margin for error is ) but to be honest my point isn't all that clear to myself. Best to ignore it.
Reply 11
Faboba
I'm not quite sure. I think I was speaking about your exams in general ( how close you think you are to getting the grades / what the margin for error is ) but to be honest my point isn't all that clear to myself. Best to ignore it.

do you mean UMS marks?
Reply 12
naelse
do you mean UMS marks?

Hmmm... probably not.

Latest

Trending

Trending