University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it's full of oxbridge firms who missed their grades. just kidding
University of York
York
Reply 2
Well, don't come here expecting endless clubbing and student nightlife. York has a grand total of three genuine clubs (although there are enough pubs and bars for each day of the year). It's a small city, and the university isn't all that close to it. This can be a blessing to some, but others might be slightly put off.

We also have copious amounts of ducks and other birds, and so, inevitably, more than our fair share of bird droppings on the pavements.
Reply 3
actually, i think york is close to the city centre for a campus uni. it's certainly walkable (drunk or sober) & much closer than the likes of Warwick & UEA.
Reply 4
peachmelba

:p: That actually made me lol!
Reply 5
peachmelba
actually, i think york is close to the city centre for a campus uni. it's certainly walkable (drunk or sober) & much closer than the likes of Warwick & UEA.

I agree. Most campus Unis I visited were in the middle of nowhere. It's only about a 15 minute walk from the edge of town to the edge of campus. Or £2 in a taxi with someone else, or £2.50 return on the bus (read: free).

Worst points... the management is all up in the air at the moment, what with all this college porter stuff going on, and they are getting slated for other things in the newspaper, I don't remember exactly what.
That's the sort of thing I didn't even know about, let alone consider before I came to uni, I don't know how you'd go about researching it.

In that case, it could be the same at all Uni's. Or even it could be there isn't really an issue at all, but students love to kick up a fuss, or sign petitions, or write angry letters to MPs! It's what we do.
Reply 6
for me, the fact that my accomodation is on the exact opposite end of campus to my seminars - but that's only a problem because i'm lazy :smile:
Reply 7
King Leigh
They are getting slated for other things in the newspaper, I don't remember exactly what.

Hes East, perhaps? I haven't been keeping up with the local papers, so I'm not sure how long it's been since they were last slated about that...

I suppose Nouse would have sufficient material bitching about the university, if one can stomach it for a while.
Reply 8
peachmelba

thats certainly a bad thing
That it starts in late September/early October, not tomorrow.
That it starts in late September/early October, not tomorrow

Actually, the real worst thing this year was that we started later than anyone - 12th October I think, later even than Oxbridge. So, you'll be left at home on your own while all your friends are getting stuck into fresher's week.
Reply 11
if you kill a duck u get expelled

so dont get caught!
Reply 12
The fact that the uni is cutting library spending by £450000 even though for people like History and History of Art students we don't get contact time so we are paying for that library.

My room only has one of those rubbish hot air heaters and it is quite a big room so it is always freezing. I want a radiator like other people!

Langwith has shut its jcr, wtf?

The porter situation even though it doesn't really affect me living in Langwith.
peachmelba
Actually, the real worst thing this year was that we started later than anyone - 12th October I think, later even than Oxbridge. So, you'll be left at home on your own while all your friends are getting stuck into fresher's week.

Also we have 5 weeks easter hols compared to most other unis 2-3weeks... So the first 2 weeks no one else is back...
Reply 14
xKTx
Also we have 5 weeks easter hols compared to most other unis 2-3weeks... So the first 2 weeks no one else is back...

Nuuuu! Just realised that. :frown: I hate leaving uni, I'm gonna hate doing nothing for 5 weeks. BOoooo
Reply 15
lol mel that reminds me of our conversation on the train... "i never want to leave! i don't want to go home, i want to stay here foreverrrrrrr"

but yes, at the moment the worst thing is the portering situation, but that's being resolved by the end of april, so it won't affect people next year!
Reply 16
xlucyx
lol mel that reminds me of our conversation on the train... "i never want to leave! i don't want to go home, i want to stay here foreverrrrrrr"

but yes, at the moment the worst thing is the portering situation, but that's being resolved by the end of april, so it won't affect people next year!

Apologies for my ignorance, but what exactly is the porter situation? :smile: thanks
Reply 17
They want to take away the porters from certain colleges so like one porter is in charge of 3 colleges instead. It's ridiculous.
Reply 18
yep we now have one porter based in langwith between derwent langwith and vanbrugh, which is silly. we're getting new ones in april though i think, but are campaigning to get them back before then!
Hmmm! Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what do the porters actually do?

Thanks

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending