The Student Room Group

My mother doesn't understand this opportunity? YouTube

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19 years old and i live with my mother, however i do pay for my share of the rent and food.

I have a YouTube channel (of 2 years) that revolves around gaming and tech that has grown immensely recently and has given me the opportunity to make a living off it full time.

Due to being on a tight scheduled to release two videos per day i needed to make major and expensive upgrades to my PC to decrease rendering times, improve gaming performance, audio etc.

The cost of these components will cost me around £3,000. Without these components i wouldn't have enough time to work on enough videos to a higher quality to satisfy my viewers and it will make it harder to keep up with the growth.

Due to this opportunity i have put uni on hold after completing my first year of computer science. During that time i received about £4,000 in tuition grants and loans.

The issue is that my mother doesn't really understand the YouTube thing and doesn't consider it to be a real job, thus she doesn't approve of me purchasing all this equipment. She threatened to kick me out and break my equipment if i did purchase it.

I have already tried talking to her about the YouTube thing many times in the past however she never took me seriously. She constantly interrupts my recording sessions and won't stop pestering me about "dropping" out of uni. She thinks i'm just slacking off and dropping out of uni for being lazy and playing video games all day.

I understand where shes coming from because shes a single parent and works hard to make a living, however shes very traditional and isn't really in touch with technology and modern society. (also shes a little older at 55)

I've talked about this to a few other people however they never fully believe me and brush it off calling me naive. Its really stressing me to the point in which i'm losing sleep and not being able to keep up with the demand of my channel. A lot of people don't believe that YouTube is hard work. It depends from YouTuber to YouTuber but i am very busy from literally 7am (6am wake up) to around 4-6pm and sometimes even past midnight if there's a special event or i'm live streaming.

And no i don't play video games all day. Most of my time goes into editing, rendering and other YouTube and business related stuff such as sorting out collaborations, dealing with sponsors, SEO , content research and statistical analysis/research. I am also trying to setup a merch store so I've been trying to setup a partnership with a t shirt firm.

Get her to understand the YouTube is not just a website, but an industry and it's worth billions currently. Use examples that she might like instead of gaming, for example Jamie Oliver with his cooking channel. Then after discussing these things, talk about what you want to do with YouTube and your potential.

Also tell her the government pretty much has a Minister for YouTube, that's how serious this industry has become. Funnily enough, this Minister also happens to be my local MP.
Reply 21
How long would it take you to save your earnings on youtube to buy the equipment you want? (When calculating this, don't forget to take out your monthly outgoings so it is realistic)

£3,000 is a lot of money. &You should fully understand how long it would take you to gain your money back and decide yourself whether that is worth it.

You have also stated that you would earn more money in a regular job. By this do you mean a minimum wage job? If so, then I'm sorry I think its ridiculous to quit university and take up youtube full time. I think it's ridiculous anyway to be honest - finish your degree then decide what to pursue. Quitting now leaves you with youtube and no other options.
Yes, just to add - don't just quit university. If you need to then take time out from your studies, but don't just quit.
Reply 23
why not multitask, youtube and uni?
Keep your options open , you don't need two videos a day on youtube to be successful, thats just ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending