The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry exam June 2015 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Do you guys think that this year's C1 paper will be harder than last year's?
Original post by Young Sinatra
I got an A* in the ISA so what grades should I get in B1, C1 and P1 to get an overall grade of an A or a B

Try aiming for an A in all the sciences to have an overall A
Original post by FAlaa123
Try aiming for an A in all the sciences to have an overall A

Oh damn that's going to be hard
I think i got a b in biology
Anyway,
Can someone please explain displacement ractions to me? I'm finding it hard to understand from the CGP Core Science guide. Thank you
Reply 23
i've compared the past papers for Chemistry and the 6 mark question is similar for both the 2013 paper and the 2014 paper. So i'm predicting this years 6 mark question to be on Limestone.
Reply 24
Original post by Wahhaba
i've compared the past papers for Chemistry and the 6 mark question is similar for both the 2013 paper and the 2014 paper. So i'm predicting this years 6 mark question to be on Limestone.

Like limestone quarrying or??
Original post by Jay Rye
Here's a thread were you can post any queries, questions and predictions as to wash will come up.

Personally, I'm hopping the 6 marker will be the lime cycle because I find that easy :tongue:

Hey can I get some help with revsision pls, I find it easier to learn when i'm taught or when i teach. Would you mind helping me

Need a revision buddy :smile: :*

Original post by Ellie and Gracie
No problem glad to help😊and yeah I am doing gcse core science so have chemistry on Tuesday and dreading it!

Same and good luck! I'm scared too, chemistry seems really hard! :'(
hiii any predictions on the 6 mark question I reckon it will be something on lime cycle or polymers and monomers :smile:
Original post by kbladclart89
hiii any predictions on the 6 mark question I reckon it will be something on lime cycle or polymers and monomers :smile:

my predictions are:
pros and cons of quarrying
pros and cons of recycling metals
comparing fossil fuels to biofuels
disposal of polymers
the theory of continental drift and how it became accepted
Original post by KasibR
Hello i was reading through some practice questions, any know this?

Describe what happens to the number of atoms during a chemical reaction?

There is still the same amount of them, none get created or destroyed.
Original post by amy099_099
Hey can I get some help with revsision pls, I find it easier to learn when i'm taught or when i teach. Would you mind helping me

Need a revision buddy :smile: :*

Same and good luck! I'm scared too, chemistry seems really hard! :'(

There's a playlist on utube that covers everything in chemistry. = https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA91D37E416C975B2 (it's quite boring but informative!)
Original post by maryswiers
my predictions are:
pros and cons of quarrying
pros and cons of recycling metals
comparing fossil fuels to biofuels
disposal of polymers
the theory of continental drift and how it became accepted

Do you mind writing up the answers to theses pls (in detail) xx Thanks
Reply 31
Original post by Jay Rye
Here's a thread were you can post any queries, questions and predictions as to wash will come up.

Personally, I'm hopping the 6 marker will be the lime cycle because I find that easy :tongue:

I think its so easy hopefully they don't put it in though, I like a challenge....
Reply 32
Original post by soccerdude007
I reckon alot on metals will come up this year
There's gonna be quite a few balancing equations- knowing AQA and their sneaky questions

LOL nice post
Reply 33
6 markers in c1 are relatively easier than the ones in c2+3 because they give you info from data/tables to help you. Here are the past 6 markers:
- Use the information above and your own knowledge and understanding to evaluatewhether Brazil should in future produce ethanol from crude oil or produce ethanol fromsugar cane.You should include environmental and economic or social factors in your evaluation
- Use the information above and your knowledge and understanding to describeadvantages and disadvantages of using plastic shopping bags made from poly(ethene).
- Use the information on page 8 and your knowledge and understanding to suggest theadvantages and disadvantages of extracting petroleum products from oil sands.
- Describe and explain how petrol is separated from the mixture of hydrocarbons incrude oil.
- Use this information and your knowledge and understanding to give advantages anddisadvantages of using biodiesel instead of petroleum diesel.
2015 predictions
My guesses are they won't do anything from crude oil and fuels, or products of oil in the six marker. The topics left are:
Rocks & Building materials
Metals& their uses
Plant oils
Our changing planet
I personally think that the 6 marker is probably gonna be on the evolution of the atmosphere
AQA made last years 6 marker really easy but this year they could make it harder
Reply 35
Original post by spnlove
- Limestone is Calcium Carbonate

The Limestone Cycle
- When heated it thermally decomposes to make Calcium Oxide and CO2
- Calcium Oxide then reacts with water to produce Calcium Hydroxide (You need to know that Calcium hydroxide is alkali and can be used to neutralise acidic soils)
- If you add carbon dioxide to calcium hydroxide it turns back into Calcium Carbonate (Limestone) and water

Making things from limestone
- Powdered limestone is heated in a kiln with powdered clay to make cement
- Cement + sand + water = mortar (Mortar is used to stick bricks together)
- Cement + sand + aggregate = concrete

Advantages and Disadvantages of quarrying limestone

Advantages: 1) Can make useful materials e.g. dyes, paints and roads
2) Used in power stations to neutralise sulfur dioxide
3) Quarrying provides jobs and brings money into economy leading to local improvements in transport, roads e.t.c
4) Once quarrying is done, restoration of land usually happens anyway

Disadvantage: 1) Makes huge, ugly holes
2) Creates lots of noise and dust ( so do cement factories)
3) Destroys habitats of wildlife
4) Limestone needs to be transported, causes more pollution
5) Waste produces tips
6) Energy needed likely to come from burning fossil fuels (causes pollution)

Qualities of Limestone products

- Limestone widely available, cheap, easy to cut
- More hard-wearing but still attractive
- Concrete can be poured into moulds, quick and cheap way to make buildings but they're unattractive
- Limestone, concrete and cement don't rot when they get wet, don't get eaten by insects & are fire-resistant
- Concrete doesn't corrode but relatively low tensile strength & can crack

How do answer a 6 mark question based on building material?
Reply 36
could someone please briefly describe the continents theory as i think this is likely to come up??
exans in the afternoon trying to do as much revision now...
Reply 37
Original post by haniexam
could someone please briefly describe the continents theory as i think this is likely to come up??
exans in the afternoon trying to do as much revision now...

The theory of continental drift was created by Alfred Wegener. He noticed that there were fossils of very similar organisms on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean. The theory at the time was that there were land bridges which had linked the continents which had then sunk or been covered. However Wegener had also noticed that the coastlines of Africa and S. America seemed to fit together like a jigsaw. So he looked further and found more evidence: there were matching layers of rock on either continent plus fossils had been found in the 'wrong' places (i.e. tropical plant fossils were found in the arctic islands). In 1915, Wegener had enough evidence to publish his theory on continental drift which was that 300 million years ago there was one supercontinent called Pangea. This had broken into smalled chunks which had drifted apart and these are what are our continents now.
I have just sat my exam in LA in the states of your equivalent the C1 paper and the main stuff you need to know is Alloys(for the 6 marker), Plant Oils comes up a lot, Techtronic Plates and Continental drift(Wegener's theory), there was nothing on Limestone and a lot of analysing data
Hope this will help you achieve the highest grade possible :smile:
How do you know that these papers will be similar?

Quick Reply