The Student Room Group

Engagement ring cost question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unprinted
There is no 'should' about it.

Any 'three months salary' stuff is marketing by jewellers. What they won't tell you is that the resale value of diamonds - their real worth - is pitiful. Diamonds are neither rare nor expensive. Except to the retail customer.

I know these things. As do most educated people. Yes. We've all heard of de beers and their marketing campaigns but get down on one knee and ask her to marry you with no ring and it's not cool.

What would you spend?
Original post by Motorbiker
What would you spend?

An amount starting from nothing - by reusing a ring that has meaning, for example.

It's something to talk together about, not just present to someone and say 'wear this'.
The 3-month salary thing was actually a secret marketing technique implemented as a 'Tradition' into society to grow sales of Gold, Sliver and Diamond back in the day.

Also we are told to keep these items as an heirloom because the whole industry literally is floating upon the fact we don't sell our gold necklaces or diamond rings.

Do you really want to give into a simple marketing scheme?
Depends on your girlfriend's taste, your income and what you and her think would be suitable.

My engagement ring did not cost a lot but I absolutely adore it. We spent a day looking at all the jewellery stores in the area and found that I hated all of the rings there. Out of desperation we went to a family run pawnshop and there was my perfect ring.

I also know of people who bought rings with several big diamonds in them from expensive shops and they love it.
Original post by abc101
Bevause of course love is determined by how materialistic your girlfriend is and how ostentatious the ugly big rock you buy for her is.

Anyone who spends more than a few hundred is a complete idiot, in my opinion. It's just a piece of jewellery. Spending so much suggests you have no concept of or appreciation for the value of money - I'd rather that money went towards something USEFUL, like a deposit on a house together.

You're absolutely right. There are much more personal things you can give someone than a ring - there's no point in spending loads of money on something if it isn't something you've put effort into yourself.
A month and a half of your salary in my opinion (Unless she has really expensive taste)

I think it does depend on your salary to be honest! I know when I graduated from University I wanted to propose to my long-term girlfriend but I really didn't have the funds. I ended up postponing the engagement to had saved up around £2,000, which is fairly reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending