The Student Room Group

Why are you tube videos where you 'learn' something not that popular on You Tube?

By which I mean most You Tube videos where you learn something, say a useful software program or feature of. Maybe even a more social vlog on a subject area. Nothing necessarily too heavy but useful stuff. Whereas videos of the more banal nature where people just prattle on, are completely social in nature or are just silly seem far more popular with views in the 100,000's even millions than just 1,000's for the above 'learning stuff'. Is it not very appealing to learn stuff easily, quickly and what might be very handy in as short space of time? If people are in the main not focused on learning more does that mean those that are are in short supply and hence should be getting paid a lot more?
Most people don't really think about using YouTube or other sources alike. Some just prefer getting the relevant books, attending the classes/lectures, and taking/refreshing on notes.

Personally I'm using a cross between books and videos. Never taken notes in my life.
Reply 2
Interesting point, though i might wonder if they are that into their subject, not everything can necessarily be found in books or improvement in the level you can work at in you're field. I guess what surprises me also is the number of videos that get a high viewing that arnt about much at all, i.e so and so bit my finger, well yes it happens so what? If you know what I mean.
Original post by Stewie2011
Interesting point, though i might wonder if they are that into their subject, not everything can necessarily be found in books or improvement in the level you can work at in you're field. I guess what surprises me also is the number of videos that get a high viewing that arnt about much at all, i.e so and so bit my finger, well yes it happens so what? If you know what I mean.

That's YouTube for you.. People watch silly videos. I'd say though the resources you use would heavily depend on what subject you're doing, e.g. someone doing art wouldn't really need it. Whereas someone on Mathematics is more likely to see the use in YouTube, you get to see the exact process of calculation, with notes for more complex topics can sometimes skip from how you get from 'this' to 'that'
Reply 4
Original post by Binary Freak
That's YouTube for you.. People watch silly videos. I'd say though the resources you use would heavily depend on what subject you're doing, e.g. someone doing art wouldn't really need it. Whereas someone on Mathematics is more likely to see the use in YouTube, you get to see the exact process of calculation, with notes for more complex topics can sometimes skip from how you get from 'this' to 'that'

Yeah, i guess i can see how its more useful for some people confined to some subjects, guess that would explain the low numbers, thanks for you're input :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending