The Student Room Group

Should I do A-Level Maths?

Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and picking my A-Levels and at the moment I've chosen ICT, Business, Geography and Biology. I was wondering if I should do Maths instead of Business as I've been told it looks better on your CV. Any Advice? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Are you good at maths and particularly enjoy it?- having a terrible grade in maths would not look good when applying to a university, if you would like to become an accountant, for instance.
Reply 2
Original post by Iloveuuu
Are you good at maths and particularly enjoy it?- having a terrible grade in maths would not look good when applying to a university, if you would like to become an accountant, for instance.

I'm mostly getting a B or A in my GCSE mocks, but I don't know if A-Level will be too hard
Original post by idonotknow
I'm mostly getting a B or A in my GCSE mocks, but I don't know if A-Level will be too hard

What sort of grade would you want at a-level? Girls in my class who are amazing at maths and got a* with 97% in their gcse when taken in year9 took core 1 in year 10 and only got Bs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chumaniward
What sort of grade would you want at a-level? Girls in my class who are amazing at maths and got a* with 97% in their gcse when taken in year9 took core 1 in year 10 and only got Bs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe because she took in in year 10 and not 12...
Reply 5
Do you enjoy maths? The more you actually enjoy learning a subject, the more motivated you will be to put the work and the better you're likely to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Spoiler

Reply 7
Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and picking my A-Levels and at the moment I've chosen ICT, Business, Geography and Biology. I was wondering if I should do Maths instead of Business as I've been told it looks better on your CV. Any Advice? Thanks :smile:

Do whichever one you enjoy more and are better at! If you're prepared to work, you won't find A level maths hard - but you will have to work at it.
Why not look at the A level past papers for maths to see how it is and whether you understand some of the concepts.

You should also speak to your maths teacher(s) because they know best and would advise you better than anyone else on here because they know your ability etc.

I know someone who got a B at maths GCSE and is even struggling to get an E at maths A level. God knows what she will get on results day, she would be lucky to scrape that E.
Yes, it does look good on your cv, if you are interested in doing something to do with science (or computer science) later on. If not, it is not regarded any better than any other A-level. I would say this though: if you found GCSE Maths hard in any way, it is a bad idea to do a level. If you choose it, make sure you're good at it and enjoy it.
Reply 10
If you understand Maths it's probably an easier subject to get a good grade in if you're willing to put in the effort, since doing past papers is incredibly effective revision in comparison to other subjects.

However I would say 'understanding' Maths would mean you would be getting A/A* at GCSE. I wouldn't want to put you off of taking it but if you get a B by putting in loads of effort then it may be difficult to get a high grade at A level.

Also enjoyment comes into this, if you absolutely hate maths then do not take it just because it looks good, if you prefer it to business then maybe maths is for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest