The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

John: NH is a branch of the uni,... that's 3/4 of the problem!

So you're telling me that they're using student money to build a hotel for the public in the private sector? WTF.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
On a message board, might have been face book, I saw that they were building a hotel but it was going to be privately run and not funded by the Uni. There is no way they could justify the uni paying for it, so it's very doubtful they will even try to squeeze that through.
Reply 22
Of course there's a justification.

It's called an "investment." They will get a regular income from that privately run hotel etc, which in turn will be injected back into the uni coffers....
Reply 23
but that piece of land outside Flo bo is owned by Boots and leased by the uni so assuming there are profits coming into the Uni, the majority of money will surely be used to pay for the lease.
Reply 24
I'm assuming that if they're building on it, they've got some sort of deal to buy it from boots too! You generally don't build on leased land :smile:
Reply 25
RedKingRising
but that piece of land outside Flo bo is owned by Boots and leased by the uni so assuming there are profits coming into the Uni, the majority of money will surely be used to pay for the lease.

Not as simple as that.

Most of the Uni land is covenented, not leased.

RedKingRising
There is no way they could justify the uni paying for it, so it's very doubtful they will even try to squeeze that through

erm...why? The Uni uses money to build a facility that will generate profit. Where's the flaw in that? You seem to forget that the Uni is open all year round, not just during what you see as 'normal' term time.
Sim, I hear you left the Peacock... what bars do you own in Nottingham now or did you quit the scene altogheter?
Reply 27
Lewisy-boy
or did you quit the scene altogheter?

yeah, for the time being.

Big decision but the timing was right.
Wow yeah, good luck in whatever you're doing now! And you said you were looking at a new venue!
Reply 29
Lewisy-boy
And you said you were looking at a new venue!

That fell through. The rent they were asking for was ludicrous, and their time-scale was unrealistic. A shame, but there you go.

I'm still living in Nottm, so when the Peacock re-opens, I'll be in htere every now and again.
Bars changing hands normally means only one thing: hiked prices and a lowering of quality :frown:. In my experience anyway.
Reply 31
Lewisy-boy
Bars changing hands normally means only one thing: hiked prices and a lowering of quality :frown:. In my experience anyway.

is this based on your experience of Hu Stu bar?
Reply 32
Lewisy-boy

The new couple seem alright. They know the Pea is a student place and have no intention of changing that. It also sounded as though they were going to stick with the current prices.
Not solely, Alex. There are loads of places which have done that and all gone to the dogs in the arctic.
So they've found a new buyer then? Any news of re-openings (and what's gonna happen to your previously amazing staff? :wink:)

Latest

Trending

Trending