The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

that is stupid. it's like they cant trust you to not cheat. if you wanted to get someone to do work for you, you can do that in anything - WL, any other type of IA.
Reply 21
my school expect visual arts student to complete abt 15 pieces of artwork by the end of two years. ive only done 3 and have 3 others half finished or just started.

all my work has its own themes. one is emotion and one is sort of autobiographical. i have like 12 to do this year~

dont think i will survive! art is soo time consuming!
Reply 22
YEAAAY! finally an art student! I can relate to dude!
I started at my second year because there was a big mixup... it's complicated, but I had to finish 10-13 pieces in only one year:| anyway Im in my 5th one now (I called my art teacher and begged her to let me do at least one at home) and she said yes:biggrin:
ohh and some people do have a theme for each piece, but I think they're going to ask you to relate them all together before ur gallery...
and ur prediceted a 6+?:eek: good job:smile: I'm not getting any more than a 5:p:
Reply 23
my friend did it on IB. i like that theme
Reply 24
One of my friends did a couple of hers on paper. that isn't a joke or anything her theme was paper. another Did Bob Marley. someone else did streets. another did wire and textiles together. I hope that helps.
im doing art hl, n am really confused hjaviong read all this? what are u guys referring to as projects? are u just calling a significant piece of stusio work a project, or lik a whole unit (wt its called at my school) e.g lots of research development of ideas, many pieces opf studio work, a workbook.

help please
Reply 26

well yes a project is basically one full studio work. For example I'm doing a project called "objects of my reflection" it's basically 3 pencil shading peices all connected together...
projects can be 1 or more peices all linked together... people usually just do on piece for a projects but I was trying to do something else...
what's your theme? and what year are you? (IB1 or 2?)
Reply 27
i'm taking Visual Art HL and I kind of regret it now :frown: my art teacher just left in the middle of my second year. Then my IB Coordinator replaced him and checked our work. Turned out that all works we had done so far is wrong; we need to redo it again. GREAT! and the exam is coming in 3 months?

hmmm. dunno if we can survive here......

btw my theme is discrimination. my friends' are fairy tale, dance, kids in poverty, kids in general, disaster, natural phenomenon, sport, sin, death, feminism, and that's it I think.

Good luck all IB Art people! yeayyy...
oh i see. u guys all really freaked me out, but ive been reading the ib criteria/syllabus n it seems ok.
im the only person doin Ib art for the first time at my school (so not even my teacher knows things for certain) , but ive done kindof 3 themes but hav looked at smaller parts of each.
i did the holocaust, sound, and im currently doing monotony of modern life.
my works been pretty large scale so havent done as many pieces, as you guys seemt o have done, but i did a huge installation for the holocaust with 50 mannequins made of mod rock all stood in soil, encapsulated by this big wall of numbers and prjections. (took me soooooooooooooooo long). also did lots of photgraphy.
did a room instalation for sound, and created 4 huge sculptures imspired by the sounds(very strange. lol) and at the moment im wroking on a huuge mixed media piece for monotony, as well as literally hundreds of photos.

gosh this is a long post. sorry. im IB2 btw
Reply 29

lol long posts are loved here:biggrin: well by me anyway (you should see my TOK advice posts:p: )

I love the sound insalation peice! sounds AMAZING! hehe buyt we don't have the proper stuff to make projects like that... the most specialy thing we get is big pieces of wood:p:

@diera: ooo good luck with that! how many redone pieces do you have done so far? and how many pages you got finished in the WB? I'm nervous about the gallery myself... :frown:
purple_bananas

gosh this is a long post. sorry. im IB2 btw

you obviously haven't seen some of my posts. but I digress.:p:
lol. i just buy the most random materials n stuff. i went to tescos the other day and bought 4 rools of cling film for one of them. ebay is the best place for art supplie. 200 used train tickets for £1. now i just need to sort out what i'm gna do with them. lol
Reply 32
diera23
i'm taking Visual Art HL and I kind of regret it now :frown: my art teacher just left in the middle of my second year. Then my IB Coordinator replaced him and checked our work. Turned out that all works we had done so far is wrong; we need to redo it again. GREAT! and the exam is coming in 3 months?

hmmm. dunno if we can survive here......

btw my theme is discrimination. my friends' are fairy tale, dance, kids in poverty, kids in general, disaster, natural phenomenon, sport, sin, death, feminism, and that's it I think.

Good luck all IB Art people! yeayyy...

omg~ my visual arts teacher left as well! well..she didnt left in the middle of the year, she left at the end of the year, which is worse! coz the art department is already short of IB art teachers n she just left to go to this other IB school. sooo frastrating n during the year, she's been all airy fairy about our projects. no one got over 4 pieces of projects done in ONE WHOLE year~

i dont even know who im going to get and our class is huge~ we've got like 20 people n everyone has their own problem n stuff. sigh~

btw...every visual arts student at my school do HL because there isnt a lot of difference. but from 2008 and onwards, ive heard that HL need to do abt 20 projects coz the course has changed.
Reply 33
~Lc~
lol long posts are loved here:biggrin: well by me anyway (you should see my TOK advice posts:p: )

I love the sound insalation peice! sounds AMAZING! hehe buyt we don't have the proper stuff to make projects like that... the most specialy thing we get is big pieces of wood:p:

@diera: ooo good luck with that! how many redone pieces do you have done so far? and how many pages you got finished in the WB? I'm nervous about the gallery myself... :frown:

i've done around 40 so far and that's very worrying :confused: we used to do our WB with an A3 book and the coordinator told us that we are all wrong and need to transfer them to the A4, so, yeah, here we are like now :cool:

during the first year i and my other friends had finished one or two studio works, and the rest 10 we need to finish them this year :frown: the exam is coming up so soon, oh no:s-smilie:

purple_bananas: great work you are doing right now! i am wondering what you do with sound, though. it's very interesting :rolleyes:

art class for the IB is just opened this year. while the teacher had been sent to join some art workshops before, he still misinformed us. yet, we are managing our best to survive. approximately three months left. hoooraaaayyy.. :tsr2:

btw, how many pages of WB people usually do to get a very good or even outstanding mark? :eek:
Reply 34

well it's usually supposed to be finishing an average of 2 WBs, each one about 100 pages... hence 200 pages will be needed! :frown: I only have 120 done so far, and about 60 of them are good ones.. the rest are basiclaly page fillers:p: intersting page fillers though:p:
dont you just submit like 20 pages or something??? I vaguely remember that from my art friends
Reply 36

yea you print 20 of your best pages, preferabbly those pages about a project rather than general research) but you have to have minimum 200 pages for when you get "interviewed" by the examiner so they'd see you've worked your ass off rather than jst did 20 good pages and took a rest...
this guy who sis 21 projects last year(his theme was surrealism) was lowered from a 6 to a 5 because he have only 90 pages in his WB...
lol, i know sound doesn't sound very linked to art, but it was sculptures all surrounded by the sounds which they were inspired from. all very confusing, bt was great fun.

there seems to be so many different opinions of how much work (WBs and studio) that needs to be done. the lteaching guidelines from the IBO are so vague. it just says things like 'sufficient' wrok.

its all kind of a trial for visual arts at my school, bt oh wel. nearly over now. the ib in general has only been going for 2 years so everythings kind of a trial :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :eek:

anyone know much about the'interview' which happens withy the gallery/exhibiton?
Reply 38
i always thought that the WB is an IA instead of an EA, right? but i heard a lot of stories regarding how it can increase someone's final mark. and this story particularly makes me think even more about it. *sigh* my WB is very concerning :frown: do you guys have these 4 types of research to do? i think one is visual, one is independent, and i forget another two. i', just wondering whether it is part of the IB requirement, or my teacher just made it up to organize everything :P

i only know that the examiner is going to come to the exhibition and "talk" personally with each individual. it is going to be around 20 minutes if i am not mistaken. and the examiner is going to ask everything about your WB, studio work, your feeling, why you chose your particular theme, what techniques did you try, and etc. well, that's what my ex art teacher said before he left. don't quote me on that, but it is very possible, though. lol. :smile:
Reply 39
diera23
i always thought that the WB is an IA instead of an EA, right? but i heard a lot of stories regarding how it can increase someone's final mark. and this story particularly makes me think even more about it. *sigh* my WB is very concerning :frown: do you guys have these 4 types of research to do? i think one is visual, one is independent, and i forget another two. i', just wondering whether it is part of the IB requirement, or my teacher just made it up to organize everything :P

i only know that the examiner is going to come to the exhibition and "talk" personally with each individual. it is going to be around 20 minutes if i am not mistaken. and the examiner is going to ask everything about your WB, studio work, your feeling, why you chose your particular theme, what techniques did you try, and etc. well, that's what my ex art teacher said before he left. don't quote me on that, but it is very possible, though. lol. :smile:

yeah, there r 4 types of research.
- independent
- contextural
- visual
- critical? (i think this is the last one)

i got told that the personal interview thing was 40min! =.= but if u think abt out.. 40min isnt a lot if you really talk abt every piece of ur work in detail.

im worried abt the 20 pages thing that gets EA. my WB is almost 200 pages long and its only got records of my first year work. so i guess i dont have to worry abt stuffing my WB. hehe

Latest

Trending

Trending