The Student Room Group

52 in a 30

hi

i got pulled over today by the police for speeding in a 30 - aparrantly i was doing 52 for a brief period. i was so preoccupied with getting to work at 6am i didn't notice.

its my first offence, and he said i would get 3 points and a £100 fine, but he didn't give me a fixed penalty notice?

what is likely to happen now? will i lose my licence? its my first offence and i'm really gutted that i did it - i don't normally speed! the horror of what i could have done if i had have hit someone bothers me a lot more than any fine.

had my licence 3 years
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by History123
hi

i got pulled over today by the police for speeding in a 30 - aparrantly i was doing 52 for a brief period. i was so preoccupied with getting to work at 6am i didn't notice.

its my first offence, and he said i would get 3 points and a £100 fine, but he didn't give me a fixed penalty notice?

what is likely to happen now? will i lose my licence? its my first offence and i'm really gutted that i did it - i don't normally speed! the horror of what i could have done if i had have hit someone bothers me a lot more than any fine.

had my licence 3 years

You wont loose your licence. Points wise, you only loose your licence if you get at least 6 points in your first 2 years after passing your test, or at least 12 points from then onwards.
Im assuming your fixed penalty will come in the post or something, if he didnt give you one there and then.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
You wont loose your licence. Points wise, you only loose your licence if you get at least 6 points in your first 2 years after passing your test, or at least 12 points from then onwards.
Im assuming your fixed penalty will come in the post or something, if he didnt give you one there and then.

can they give you one after the event? i thought if they pulled you over and gave you a NIP it was likely to be a summons
Reply 3
I think that plod can give you a "Verbal" NIP rather than one in writing like you would get from a camera.

Frankly I'm amazed the police said it was 3 points and £100 fine even if it's your first offence, you were allegedly doing over 70% over the speed limit. If you were doing that on a motorway it'd be well over 100mph and an "automatic" ban.

But then the UK gov's take on speed is, imho totally wrong - that's another topic completely. :smile:
Reply 4
hi

had my licence 3 years

I got stopped by the popo just over a week ago also, hit by an officer on the side of the road with an L120 Laser gun.... was doing 42 in a 30.

He said he couldn't take action there and then, but i'd be reported for driving with excessive speed.

The report goes back to a central ticketing office and they decide whether you get a speed awareness course, 3 pts + 100 fine, or a court summons.

with my speed, a court summons is unlikely, and a speed course is right on the top end of the speed I was going... so 3 points and a fine is more likely, I've been driving since Jan 2013 and first offence.

You'll probably get a court summons, 50% over or 30 mph over the limit is generally pushed for as a court summons, although I believe you can plead guilty through the post when you receive the NIP.

I'm still awaiting my NIP also.

You probably won't get a ban, you may be lucky and only get 3 points and a £100 fine, but i've known people to do 51 in a 30 and get 6 points + £250 fine.

Had you been caught doing 60 in a 30 you'd likely get a ban straight off.
Reply 5
thanks for your replies.

i know it was reckless and stupid, and i won't be going over the speed limit again!

i just hope i keep my licence
Reply 6
thanks for your replies.

i know it was reckless and stupid, and i won't be going over the speed limit again!

i just hope i keep my licence

Unless you already have points, I can pretty much guarantee you'll keep your license.

The absolute worst you'd get even if you were doing 60 in a 30 is a court summons and a temporary ban (prob a week or two), which is not the same as losing your license.

As you were doing 52 in a 30 you will more than likely get points and a fine, possibly a court summons, but as stated before you can normally send the NIP back and plead guilty by post, saving you going to court.

If you do that three penalty points minimum will be added to your license and a £100 fine will be payable by you.
Reply 7
Thanks again for your replies. One of my main concerns is i have a holiday booked in 7 weeks, will i be made to cancel this?

The officer said i should hear within 2.5 months, is this for the FPN or court summons?
Reply 8
Thanks again for your replies. One of my main concerns is i have a holiday booked in 7 weeks, will i be made to cancel this?

The officer said i should hear within 2.5 months, is this for the FPN or court summons?

Generally speaking, the first piece of paper you receive from them will be more than likely an NIP .... that will then give you a list of available options.

Your most likely options will be:

Plead guilty by post, receive a minimum of three points and a £100 fine.(It may be more than 3 points due to the margin of your excessive speed).

OR

Contest the charge in which case a court date will be set, if you fail to turn up for this then a warrant for your arrest will be issued.

You will not be offered the speeding awareness course, due to your speed (52 in a 30). 42 in a 30 (which just so happened to be what I got caught doing) is the top end.

If you're caught at 43 in a 30, you won't get offered the course either.

Also...2.5 months?!!!!

That's a bit worrying, when the officer that stopped me explained the procedure to me, he said i'd receive something through in the post (a NIP) within a "few weeks".....

From what i've read though online, if you get caught speeding by a camera, they have up to 14 days to issue the NIP, if you get stopped by a police vehicle/caught by a laser gun then they can take up to 6 months to issue the NIP.....

It's unlikely you will have to cancel the holiday, however you may want to be careful, if the paperwork hasn't arrived by the time you depart for your holiday.... and it arrives and sits at home for one month (assuming you are away for one month or more)... the police won't have received a reply from you in a month, and as a result will automatically issue a court date whereby you will be summoned (it's just a magistrates court, not crown court or anything...).

However, as it has gone to court the magistrate will usually issue a more severe penalty, usually around 4 points instead of 3 and a larger fine (since you've "Wasted" their time by not replying to their letter. You will also incur court costs.

If it hasn't arrived the day before you are due to go on holiday, i'd consider delaying your holiday. Unless of course you are happy to go to court.

Also, just to clarify for you:

NIP - Notice of Intended Prosecution

This is usually the first piece of paper you receive relating to a motoring offence, it will list your options (these will vary based on the speed you were going and the speed limit of the zone you were in).

FPN - Fixed Penalty Notice

This is usually 3 points and a £100 fine, however if you go to court contesting this, the magistrate can choose to increase the severity of your punishment, 4 points is normally more likely, along with a larger fine (unless you have a VERY GOOD reason as to why you were speeding, in which case your case may be dismissed).

Court Summons

This is basically what it says on the tin.... you are summoned to court to explain to a magistrate why you were doing said speed... normally you wouldn't take this option unless you felt that you had very good reason to speed, or you were very stupid and thought you could talk your way out of it!

If you are convicted after contesting a charge/being summoned they can impose a larger fine and more endorsable points.

Hope this helps clarify the situation a bit better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by WSH1995
Generally speaking, the first piece of paper you receive from them will be more than likely an NIP .... that will then give you a list of available options.

Your most likely options will be:

Plead guilty by post, receive a minimum of three points and a £100 fine.(It may be more than 3 points due to the margin of your excessive speed).

OR

Contest the charge in which case a court date will be set, if you fail to turn up for this then a warrant for your arrest will be issued.

You will not be offered the speeding awareness course, due to your speed (52 in a 30). 42 in a 30 (which just so happened to be what I got caught doing) is the top end.

If you're caught at 43 in a 30, you won't get offered the course either.

Also...2.5 months?!!!!

That's a bit worrying, when the officer that stopped me explained the procedure to me, he said i'd receive something through in the post (a NIP) within a "few weeks".....

From what i've read though online, if you get caught speeding by a camera, they have up to 14 days to issue the NIP, if you get stopped by a police vehicle/caught by a laser gun then they can take up to 6 months to issue the NIP.....

It's unlikely you will have to cancel the holiday, however you may want to be careful, if the paperwork hasn't arrived by the time you depart for your holiday.... and it arrives and sits at home for one month (assuming you are away for one month or more)... the police won't have received a reply from you in a month, and as a result will automatically issue a court date whereby you will be summoned (it's just a magistrates court, not crown court or anything...).

However, as it has gone to court the magistrate will usually issue a more severe penalty, usually around 4 points instead of 3 and a larger fine (since you've "Wasted" their time by not replying to their letter. You will also incur court costs.

If it hasn't arrived the day before you are due to go on holiday, i'd consider delaying your holiday. Unless of course you are happy to go to court.

Also, just to clarify for you:

NIP - Notice of Intended Prosecution

This is usually the first piece of paper you receive relating to a motoring offence, it will list your options (these will vary based on the speed you were going and the speed limit of the zone you were in).

FPN - Fixed Penalty Notice

This is usually 3 points and a £100 fine, however if you go to court contesting this, the magistrate can choose to increase the severity of your punishment, 4 points is normally more likely, along with a larger fine (unless you have a VERY GOOD reason as to why you were speeding, in which case your case may be dismissed).

Court Summons

This is basically what it says on the tin.... you are summoned to court to explain to a magistrate why you were doing said speed... normally you wouldn't take this option unless you felt that you had very good reason to speed, or you were very stupid and thought you could talk your way out of it!

If you are convicted after contesting a charge/being summoned they can impose a larger fine and more endorsable points.

Hope this helps clarify the situation a bit better.

Thanks for your response. That certainly clears things up.

I am only away for 2 weeks, so hopefully this should be fine! I will plead guilty to anything that comes ky way, i dont want a trip to court so i will do it by post if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending